WiFi on even when off?

agknight73

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Just had a look at battery usage and noticed that 14% has been used by Wi-Fi today.
I find this odd as it has been turned off since day one.
Anyone have a clue for me as to wtf?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you using Google Location Services and KitKat? If you take a look at the location disclaimer, you'll see that it clearly states that it can turn WiFi on to check for locations without notification. However, 14% is quite a lot if you're not actively using the connection (unless it's 14% of a battery report on a 95% charge, then it's really reasonable).

agknight73

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Had a better look at the 14% and it says that the WiFi has been running for over 14hrs.
That might bebdrom about when I picked the phone up this morning.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If you allow it to be used for location services then it shows as always on even when you switch it off

Posted via Android Central App

agknight73

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Found the advanced settings menu for WiFi and turned location scanning off. Massive improvement in power longevity. I may even get two days out of it.
Now if I can stop BlinkFeed doing things even disabled I'm away.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you allow the wifi radio to sleep (it's in Advanced in wifi) you'll save even more battery, but if something like an email comes in via wifi when the screen is off you won't get it until you turn the screen back on. It's a balancing act.

agknight73

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Google now seems to be more crap I don't need running thanks.
Since changing the setting in advanced WiFi the battery life is great. Two days not a problem. Means I can have a very full day of use or spin it out for longer if necessary.

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Google now seems to be more crap I don't need running thanks.
Since changing the setting in advanced WiFi the battery life is great. Two days not a problem. Means I can have a very full day of use or spin it out for longer if necessary.

It basically just gives you a stock Android experience. It removes BlinkFeed, such you were complaining about, and Sense 6. It doesn't make any changes to the way Google Now is currently working on your phone. But if you have your battery life where you want it, no need to change.

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
It basically just gives you a stock Android experience. It removes BlinkFeed, such you were complaining about, and Sense 6. It doesn't make any changes to the way Google Now is currently working on your phone. But if you have your battery life where you want it, no need to change.

It doesn't remove Sense

My M8 posted this

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Really? Thought it took over completely. It does remove BlinkFeed though. Right?