How is the gunmetal finish holding up?

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Going to be getting an M8 soon and I was wondering how the gunmetal finish on people's phones are holding up. I've seen some pictures that they look pretty beat up in but that could be device mistreatment for all I know.

Posted via Android Central App

stefanwi1987

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunate I have clearly visible spots on the backside of my device. Especially on the left and right outer corners. The funny thing is that my I'm using an case since the first day. First one was the original case delivered by HTC. When this one got broken I've ordered a new one from amazon. It looks like the color brushed off. Maybe because of dust and other stuff which gets between the phone and the case. Quite annoying...

Whyareallthegoodnamestaken

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Mine looks the same as the day I got it. I use the case that came in the box. But the unprotected front is also looking exactly the same as the day I got it.

Posted via the Android Central App

skid_

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
In a case since day one but scratches on the angled edges of the phone but it it still looks damn good.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Looks like it'll stay on if I take care of it. Thanks for your replies! It socks gorgeous in gunmetal but I was willing to get silver of there were problems with gunmetal.

andrewwardell

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine encased is the gel case HTC supplied with the phone and its only got one blemish from my having a Naomi Campbell moment. Trying to find it now is almost impossible.

As for general wear & tear, the body seems to be holding up good as new.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I had it in my head that I was going to get the silver one, as it looked nice, didn't seem to pick up scratches as much as the grey version (according to reviews) but it wasn't until I actually held both phones I knew the Gunmental Grey was for me. It's such a beauty of a phone. I tried to use the gel case that came with it but I want the phone to be naked. One of the top selling point's of the phone is how it looks so I don't wanna hide it behind a cover so for the past few weeks I've been using the phone naked - so far no marks at all. I constantly inspect the phone lol, but there isnt anything I can see that would indicate I've had the phone for a few weeks.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have dropped it, but was able to convert the downward motion to sideways by getting my foot under it in time. This was on grocery store tile, and I think the phone hardness must be harder than the waxxed tile, as there is not a mark from the 4 foot slide on it. That said, you drop this on concrete, and it will be just as you would expect scuffed aluminum to be.

I go without a case and slide it in pants pocket. If there is a finish on the device that can be worn off, I still cannot tell yet. So far, it looks like it does new if I clean it up. Its still only been a few months though, so get back to you in another 8 months more of pocket rubbing to see if anything wears off. It LOOKS like bare metal, but there was talk of all the "oils" being used on these to get that look. I can't say yet if it will wear off, so far it looks perfect.