Display showing wear mark /scuffing in keyboard area from constant swyping. Factory clear coat??

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a coworker that upgraded from last years HTC One to the M8 and running into issues...

One is that he showed me with display clean, he can see big oval blotch at bottom of screen where looks like where he types using swype. Look like from all the rubbings he has wear mark. Does the phone come with factory coating?

He also had problem with very blurry pics lately and I read here posts of coating on camera lense and people using car lense cleaner to polish away the coating that comes with the phone. Told my buddy and he polished his rear lense to point he said it actually helped so checking for him about the display.

It's too bad because he likes the phone but the cheap coating on back and now the wear on front is concerning.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Almost all phones come with a bit of anti fingerprint coating (is it oleophobic or something? I don't remember) that feels kinda gross. I always wipe it all off the second I get it. Has he tried just cleaning the screen? Damp cloth or alcohol, then dry.

revG#AC

May 15, 2010
Visit site
This screen is gorilla glass 3 so, unless he picks up abrasives on his fingers, it should be very hard to wear. Does he have a screen protector on it that may be wearing? Or is he maybe carrying it in a pocket with change or keys or something abrasive?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
no... we're office people so little chance of getting hands dirty... but he spends a lot of time on that phone swyping/texting. he doesnt use any protector but his screen always looks oily cause guess oily fingers by nature. I had some lcd wipes in my office and gave it a hard cleaning and the glass is spotless... except for where he swypes looks like one big oval smudge more than scratches.

I'll try to take a pic maybe when at work tomorrow. he didnt have any issues like the camera lens or screen with his last years model One.

This screen is gorilla glass 3 so, unless he picks up abrasives on his fingers, it should be very hard to wear. Does he have a screen protector on it that may be wearing? Or is he maybe carrying it in a pocket with change or keys or something abrasive?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I guess 99% of people use protectors and may not come up on this... Here is a pic. Actually can barely see it when on, better when off. But cleaned the heck out of the screen using lcd wipes and that area is permanent.

No abrasive scratches on it or no oily residue... Feels smooth as rest of display but seems some wear on it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1776.jpg
    1776.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 89

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Me neither. But I've never seen an issue like the HTC One camera lense issue either... so thought it wouldnt be a stretch for HTC to coat the display the same way causing the same type of smudge effect when worn. Owner says he was actually happier with the previous One over this one... and he's usually a fan of latest-and-greatest stuff.

Yeah that's weird, never seen that on any phone

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Looks like he has been eating greasy and oily foods, and then not washing his hands. :-\ There are some types of oil that have a higher density than the chemicals in the lcd wipes, so those chemicals just float on top of the oil instead of getting underneath it and lifting it off the surface. There are other types of wipes and chemicals you can use, but I'm not sure which to recommend to you because I'm not sure what alti-glare coating HTC uses on their screens. Obviously (like with computer monitors and tvs) you don't want to rub off the anti-glare coating, and when you do wipe it down you should turn the phone upside down, so the chemicals are less likely to seep into any cracks near the screen edges.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's really strange. I recommend giving it a good wash as well as a wipe down. Not a ton of water or anything, but just a damp cloth and then a dry cloth. To make sure it's not just crazy oily there.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Used at least half a dozen wipes that are pretty heavy in alcohol and rubbed on that screen really hard... The rest of screen absolutely clean and oil free. Even the worn area feels oil free.

Yeah, that's really strange. I recommend giving it a good wash as well as a wipe down. Not a ton of water or anything, but just a damp cloth and then a dry cloth. To make sure it's not just crazy oily there.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been a member on the XDA forums for awhile which gets a lot of members and I've not seen a single other post about this issue.

I'm sorry but your friend is either really unlucky and got a defective unit or he's done something to make the screen that way. Looks to be higher up then where the keyboard is. Looks more like someone has attempted to clean in a circular motion with something abrasive.

If he's in the USA my advice, make use of the free screen replacement.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Definitely a first for us. He showed me it's I the area he spend most of his time swyping so that's the only thing he can think of why it's in that location. If he was cleaning his screen with an abrasive, the whole screen would probably be a mess and not that one location... Lol, he doubt he ever cleans his screen except for an occasional wipe maybe from a cloth. Not sure if I mentioned before but when on it is nearly invisible. Guess he noticed it when screen is off and you can see it at angle.

Guess he'll talk to our AT&T rep... Besides friend he's our IT Director and all he uses it for is calls, emails and texting at work.

I've been a member on the XDA forums for awhile which gets a lot of members and I've not seen a single other post about this issue.

I'm sorry but your friend is either really unlucky and got a defective unit or he's done something to make the screen that way. Looks to be higher up then where the keyboard is. Looks more like someone has attempted to clean in a circular motion with something abrasive.

If he's in the USA my advice, make use of the free screen replacement.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Definitely a first for us. He showed me it's I the area he spend most of his time swyping so that's the only thing he can think of why it's in that location. If he was cleaning his screen with an abrasive, the whole screen would probably be a mess and not that one location... Lol, he doubt he ever cleans his screen except for an occasional wipe maybe from a cloth. Not sure if I mentioned before but when on it is nearly invisible. Guess he noticed it when screen is off and you can see it at angle.

Guess he'll talk to our AT&T rep... Besides friend he's our IT Director and all he uses it for is calls, emails and texting at work.

Is it possible that he got it like that and only just noticed? If it's not oil or something on the screen then I feel like it would either have been an issue from the beginning, or it was set up against some abrasive surface by accident. There's just no way for fingers to wear down gorilla glass like that.

The good thing is I'd expect this to be covered under HTC Advantage since it's a glass issue and you get one free replacement. If it's not he could always actually crack it and then send it in.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure he or one of us would have seen it when new we were ooing and aahing over it when he got it. He takes care of his stuff but his screens always oily or at least has tons more smudges than mine cause ... he's an oily guy lol.

Again if set on an abrasive surface the whole screen would be showing smudge and even though pic doesn't show it, that area is not scratched and you can't feel anything... Feels as smooth as rest of screen. Also he's had a case from day one with enough of a raise on edge to keep the screen from touching surfaces. Why he doesn't get a screen protector i have no idea lol.

I see there is a huge thread on camera lense coating that people are now accepting so that's why I brought this up cause he had huge issue with foggy pics and I found it on the forum and cleaning his screen made it worlds better even though i don't think as sharp as his pics when brand new. And he has a case that keeps lense from touching any surface like others I imagine so how do all these people have lens coating issues if not rubbing aggressively either?

I don't think a calloused finger would wear down gorilla glass either...but wondering if there is a coating just like the camera. And maybe hes so oily, that over time, oil/sweat can be acidic enough to wear coating? I use to have a roommate in college that put his running clothes at the end of his wooden bunk bed and by end of semester the lacquer had disintegrated and the wood was blackened lol. But I imagine high percentage of people uses screen protectors so the issue may not come up.

Is it possible that he got it like that and only just noticed? If it's not oil or something on the screen then I feel like it would either have been an issue from the beginning, or it was set up against some abrasive surface by accident. There's just no way for fingers to wear down gorilla glass like that.

The good thing is I'd expect this to be covered under HTC Advantage since it's a glass issue and you get one free replacement. If it's not he could always actually crack it and then send it in.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It would be really helpful to see if the same type of coating is on... If someone would remove their screen protector and try the alcohol or toothpaste fix or other methods tried on that thread on small portion of your screen to see if indeed coating does rub off.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Does he carry his keys in the same pocket with his phone? I don't think you ever answered this one. To me it looks like a key ring that's constantly rubbing on the screen.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
There's definitely no coating other than the anti fingerprint stuff that it ships with that generally is gone within a week. I regularly wash off my screen to keep it clean.

I'd be curious to know about the key ring question. But yeah, if you want to take toothpaste to it to get a bit more friction in the cleaning, it wouldn't hurt. But I'd bet there's no coating on the screen that's been scratched off there. This is a perfect use for the free screen replacement.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
It would be really helpful to see if the same type of coating is on... If someone would remove their screen protector and try the alcohol or toothpaste fix or other methods tried on that thread on small portion of your screen to see if indeed coating does rub off.

Can't see many takers for that. I'm confident without doing any of that, nothing is coating the screen.

I'm sorry but I think you're clutching at straws looking for a reason to blame quality control. Something third party has caused that scuffing. It's to ominous looking.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure there is some reason out there not to use a screen protector, which is why a few people don't, but, like full-coverage auto insurance, there seems to be more reason to have it. Getting the screen replaced may be costly.

The Note III

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463