HTC One M8 Who uses hangouts instead of HTC SMS?

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
re: Who uses hangouts instead of HTC SMS?

Absolutely hate it! I can't remember what it was called before it was called hangouts (Google Talk?) , but that was perfect, nice and simple. I only used it for video calls, now I've just stopped using it. Its a shame because now I have to rely on other people having Skype installed.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
re: Who uses hangouts instead of HTC SMS?

I use it for both SMS and Hangouts, I just wish it could send SMS over wifi only like my old Google Voice could...I still have to use FB messenger for some contacts when I only have wifi and they don't have the hangouts app.

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Who uses hangouts instead of HTC SMS?

So what's a good alternative besides hangouts?

Handcent. Completely customizable, which is very important to me in making my phone, mine. I do not think any other messaging application is nearly as customizable. You can change just about everything. Personally, I can not stand those idiotic chat bubbles. Handcent allows me to erase them.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

I honestly prefer HTC SMS to Hangouts because it's much less of a hassle, especially when you have three Google accounts on your device. It's just cleaner, simpler, and much easier to use, and no, I don't even use Hangouts to IM so that's probably another reason why I completely avoid it.

Jeff Harris

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

I really like the Verizon messaging app over the stock one and hangouts. lots to customize,and works great!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I use Hangouts for Hangouts and for SMS. Honestly it just because I used it on my last phone (Galaxy Nexus). I might try the stock SMS app.

Sean Cook3

May 17, 2014
Visit site

I tried using hangouts. I find that if someone has iPhone, I can't send them pictures if I'm just on Wi-Fi. It requires my mobile on too. Can't just turn off mobile data to save power. So I just use the stock because it works every time.

aarsyl

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I now use the Hangouts app for SMS because I don't have to switch apps to follow conversations with my wife when she chooses to use regular texts vs chat messages.

Hangouts puts the entire conversation together in one integrated list.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Well the Hangouts app has gotten a lot better with the update. At least you won't accidentally archive your conversions by swiping them away.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

volcalstone

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Haven't use hangout for my sms yet but I probably won't cause I use that for IM only and have been for a while now. I've been using the stock app and it works fine but doesn't look too pretty though.

That's when I found out about Smitten SMS and it's awesome. Can you say quick reply and fully customizable as well. Give it a try, you won't look back.

shenfrey

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I don't use Google Hangout for one simple and silly reason, Notifications don't dismiss themselves on my Android Wear watch after replying. There really is no excuse for this, unless this is some stupid design decision. No other SMS app does this, so it must of been a stupid design decision.

I am currently using Textra, seems really good so far. It could do with some quick replies on Android Wear, but hopefully they will come soon.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I now use the Hangouts app for SMS because I don't have to switch apps to follow conversations with my wife when she chooses to use regular texts vs chat messages.

Hangouts puts the entire conversation together in one integrated list.

One integrated list, yes. But it doesn't MERGE the two conversations you're having with your wife, right? Texts stay in one and Hangouts in the other right?

Posted via the Android Central App

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
One integrated list, yes. But it doesn't MERGE the two conversations you're having with your wife, right? Texts stay in one and Hangouts in the other right?

Posted via the Android Central App
Yes. SMS, MMS, and hangout message from the same person are all shown within the same conversation. By default the app switches your message type to match the last message sent to you, but you can manually change it also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci