HTC One M8 Who uses hangouts instead of HTC SMS?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re: Who uses hangouts instead of HTC SMS?

I like Hangouts. I prefer to consolidate when I can, so I'd rather not have a separate messaging app and Hangouts. I do use Hangouts with some people, so that functionality is important to me. I also love the emojis on Hangouts.

The main drawback I encounter is that I have to look a little carefully at the contact information when sending a message to someone, to make sure I'm sending it as an SMS or a Hangout, depending on the situation. But that's pretty minor for me.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I use Hangouts. Do I prefer it over the stock messaging app? Hmm, not really. The only reason I use it is because I use the IM function of it as well.

I think the stock HTC messaging app is faster, cleaner and nicer looking, but it only does SMS, whereas Hangouts does both SMS and IM, so it's more convenient to use. If I could get Hangout IM integration into the stock HTC messaging app, I'd use that full time.

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Can't stand Hangouts. It makes messaging people so much more difficult, especially if you have multiple gmail accounts on your phone.

I also consistently (accidentally) delete message threads using it.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I use hangouts for convenience. Since I use it a lot to chat with other people, it's cool to have SMS and conversations all in one place.

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I don't have an M8 but I do use Hangouts for SMS and normal Hangout messaging. I prefer to have all in one and its very simple for me.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Whyareallthegoodnamestaken

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

I use it for SMS and IM, but mostly SMS. I actually like EvolveSMS better because it has a dark theme but I like to have as few apps as possible.

It would also be nice if hangouts had some of the IM features that BBM has for groups such as shared lists, calendars and photo albums.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

I use stock, I've liked the UI of hangouts alright from the beginning, but in terms of UX I find it leaves a lot to be desired. It's gotten better, but not to the point where I'd want to use it for more than Google Talk functionality.

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Tried hangout but too complex and needs recipient to have hangouts. Stock messaging is simple. Of course I mean all of this in terms of sms. Haven't had an opportunity to test other features of this.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

Tried hangout but too complex and needs recipient to have hangouts. Stock messaging is simple. Of course I mean all of this in terms of sms. Haven't had an opportunity to test other features of this.
It doesn't need the recipient to have hangouts if you are using text, only for free text. I use it to text all the time, it's the only app I use currently.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

I don't like how hangouts shows a little edge of your last viewed conversation on the right of the conversation list. Very disorderly looking IMHO.

Posted via Android Central App

Jamal Ahmed

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Wouldn't it be much more comprehensive to use a poll?

EDIT: Yes, I use hangouts, but only for video call.

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

L O V E hangouts lol. But I do not use it for SMS

Posted via Android Central App

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site

I use it for group chat with friends, but dont use it for SMS. As a whole I dislike the app since it has no color options or even a dark theme. If they ever add that, I would actually consider using it for SMS etc.