HTC One M8 Who uses hangouts instead of HTC SMS?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
One integrated list, yes. But it doesn't MERGE the two conversations you're having with your wife, right? Texts stay in one and Hangouts in the other right?

Posted via the Android Central App

Originally it kept them separate but it now merges them following one of the updates along the way

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried Hangouts for SMS for about a month, but now trying something else because of a couple issues:

1. Erratic behavior when using People Widget for text shortcuts: If I use the widget, it would launch the appropriate conversation. However, after typing a dozen or so keystrokes, the app would "blink" and kick back out to the conversation list. In addition to doing that pretty much every time, it would often crash the app altogether. I don't think it did this before they added to make calls from the app, so this likely will be fixed with an update. Still, really annoying at this point naturally.

2. No search ability: This is a peculiar omission. I don't do a ton of searching, but some threads I may add 100 individual messages or more in a day, so to look up something from a few days prior takes a lot of scrolling. Generally I'll go back to the stock app to search, but again, annoying.

Giving Textra a go, like it so far.

2wheeltim

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I use hangouts for everything, even use it as my phone dialer. I am mostly just dealing with 5 or 6 clients besides my family. From a single list I have access to all ways of communication. I don't ever use my contacts. This worked flawlessly on my s3, however I recently upgraded to m8, and the SMS integration is not as smooth. The SMS option, and subsequent phone options isn't available automatically when in a hangout. You have to find the contact and send a SMS before the option comes up. Don't know if this is a bug of a recent update, but on the s3,if a contact had a google addy and a phone number, the option of which to pick was present right away.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I use hangouts for everything, even use it as my phone dialer. I am mostly just dealing with 5 or 6 clients besides my family. From a single list I have access to all ways of communication. I don't ever use my contacts. This worked flawlessly on my s3, however I recently upgraded to m8, and the SMS integration is not as smooth. The SMS option, and subsequent phone options isn't available automatically when in a hangout. You have to find the contact and send a SMS before the option comes up. Don't know if this is a bug of a recent update, but on the s3,if a contact had a google addy and a phone number, the option of which to pick was present right away.

I think it's a Hangouts glitch because it's happening to me on my N7 as well. Can text someone but can't switch between sms and Hangouts until you start a message thread from the contacts list.
Also, to reply to OP, I haven't used the stock messaging app since they allowed sms through hangouts.

shenfrey

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hangouts is bulky, messy and slow. They have a long way to go if they want to compete with the messages app and imessage on iPhone. However there are PLENTY of great replacement apps on Android, and one of the better ones is Textra. I suggest you check that out of you get a chance.

garrydmorere

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I had an issue last week in SMS where the name in the header, the contact icon, the conversation showing on the screen, and intended recipient were all different. That was it for me. Back to stock messaging app now...

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I had an issue last week in SMS where the name in the header, the contact icon, the conversation showing on the screen, and intended recipient were all different. That was it for me. Back to stock messaging app now...

Yet some claim Android has no issues with SMS/MMS smh

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Qksms which is currently in alpha and I'm quite impressed by it. Looks like they are preparing to launch on Google play in the coming days so keep an eye out for it. Looks like textra does now but more material I would say and more in keeping with android guidelines in the menus etc.I never quite got on with textra despite reading so many positive comments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam