Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM

Default TTFN HTC M8, I will miss you.

TLR - It's just a story - nothing important here.

After it became clear that WebOS was going to lose the mobile OS battle (leave the island, become the weakest link, get nexted), I fell head-over-heels for Android on HTC devices. I started with the HTC Hero (upgraded from the Pixi - I couldn't believe the screen size!). It was a little rough start. The Hero was less than smooth, had a couple of funny software issues, and didn't have a physical keyboard, but it was a brick. This was something I appreciated after coming off the first gen WebOS hardware. I learned to love the less than elegant Android OS and it's application ecosystem with that phone.

I quickly upgraded to the HTC Evo 4G, which in my area could have been called simply the HTC Evo (insert all your coverage hate for Sprint here). That phone... dang. That was the phone that helped me 'get' android. It was fast. Maps were instant. It was still built like a tank and it took amazing pictures. It also gave me an affinity for Sense. I still don't think I want to get over the sense clock/weather widget. It's too good.

From there I found an Evo 3D on ebay for pretty cheap. You want a dang nice phone? That 3D took amazing pictures, was blazing fast, and by this time, I had 4G. It was the dream. I honestly enjoyed the 3D technology. I have videos from that phone that I still insist on showing people on that phone since the 3D worked so well. Did I mention it was a fast, smooth phone? Okay, good.

I was up for an upgrade by the time the Evo 4G LTE (ABCDEFG) was released. HOLY COW! I think it was delayed a month or so, but dang, I still think it's the nicest feeling phone I've owned. It was so thin, so light, the camera was easy and the sensor was a gem. Lag? I totally forgot what lag felt like. It was this phone that finally made me not miss WebOS (I still dream of it...) After some tweets about how impressed I was with the phone, I was invited to be a member of a new customer feedback group HTC was starting up called Elevate.

Then a year and a half ago, the M7 dropped. (almost) All metal? Ultrapixel? I was selected to receive one for my participation in Elevate? Cool. I'm more than in. That phone got me on board with the Ultrapixel. I didn't have a purpling issue on my sensor. I just took really good pictures all the time. And the silver version took a beating without showing it (the black version? Not so much). And dat screen! Wow-wee-woo-wee-wow!

And now the HTC M8. What a darn (can I curse on AC forums?) nice phone. Seriously. So slick, great screen, amazing pictures and effects now with the duo cam, Sense 6, so fast, and my list goes on and on. I don't want to imagine my life without it. It's become definitely my favorite device I own or have ever owned hands down.

Unfortunately, we're half way through the product cycle and you can't take a Sprint phone to AT&T, and I save a ton of money if I'm doing my phone through work instead of on my own, which is why I have decided to get an average phone to tide me over until next March-ish. There will be a lot of compelling phones between now and then, too, but I'm almost certain I will wait to see what HTC has to offer before I make a move.

Global Posts
    24,302 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: TTFN HTC M8, I will miss you.

It can still make a nice web browsing device.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Or a really great apod

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM

Quote Originally Posted by kilskev View Post
    Or a really great apod

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Astronomy Picture of the Day?

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

My current phone is the M7. I love it. If anything happens to it I will definitely get the M8. My last phone was an HTC Hero. The OP is right. It was a nice phone but it took a lot of getting used to. Had really funny quirks. One of which was texting the wrong person all the time. Once I rooted it though my problem went away. I too really like HTC phones.