Huge Problems After 4.4.3 AT&T Update

mikejermi

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem and was one the phone with HTC 5 times today, Here is what I did that fixed the problem.

1. Recondition the battery. Plug the phone into the charger and turn off the phone for 10 Minutes. The hold down the power button and the up and down volume keys for 3 mins.

2. Go into boot logger and ease the cache, with power off press power button and the up volume key.

3. Sorry to have to say this, next step complete phone reset :(

I had the same problems and tried each step it wasn't until I did all of these steps that it fixed the problem.

I hope this helps.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Guys. I simply gave my HTC time to just sit there after the update and it went back to Working just fine

Posted via Android Central App

twan2001

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
ill just sit tight and wait for the fix. but the update did kill my data. I had to manually enter all of my APN settings... that was annoying.

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
i spoke to HTC this morning and the rep mentioned I was the 1st instance. Im sure users will be calling AT&T soon since the batt life is horrendous and not to mention SMS are lagging!

I was at an att store yesterday around 6pm getting a new sim card due to not being able to send messages after the update. They claimed it wasn't an issue with the update, but, too many people have the same problem. I did a factory reset at 10 pm yesterday, and so far, things seem alright. I will update in a few more days. My battery life definitely went down after the update, but the text issues are by far more of a problem for me. I will call htc next if any more issues arise to see what they have to say.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a pretty big deal for an update to be completely pulled, so something must be up on a widespread basis. Kudos to HTC for taking action so quickly. Other companies have not been as proactive in the past.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
As much as this is terrible, I do give them kudos for pulling it.

Also, as has been stated by others, a factory reset does seem to solve the issues. At least it did for me and a few others here. So if you already took the update and are having the issues that would be a first step.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I shouldn't have to wipe my data though. I'd lose all the progress on my games that aren't using Google Cloud sync.. and I'd have to reinstall like 300 apps(yeah I have alot, I know)

I'm hoping once they can come up with a fix, a newer OTA will come along that fixes it.

crazycanuck76

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I went one step further and blew away any trace of ATT crap on my phone. They had an issue like this a while ago with another phone and it required a reset as well. I'm happy with my new Google Play Edition ROM and battery had been stellar since the install. Figure if I have to start over may as well get the ROM on I wanted in the first place. Way to go ATT.

Posted via the Android Central App

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi, everyone, this is my first time here, so bear with me. On Wednesday, August 28, I downloaded the new Kit Kat 4.4.3 update from AT&T onto my One M8. Right after and for a few hours after, everything was in great condition as always. I've had my M8 since launch and haven't had a problem since and hold it very dear to me. Then, after about four hours, I noticed the phone was getting hot, really hot. I had power saver on as always and I saw that the CPU was taxed at 97%, just having Instagram running and YouTube actively show ing a video. So I restarted the phone, clearing the cache and making sure that nothing was working too hard. That's when the problems really started coming up. It was getting hot but I ignored it and went to the Play Store to update my banking app and download Reddit News. After seven minutes of a normally one minute (if that) update, I stopped the download, cleared the cache and tried again. Nothing. So Google Play won't download, update, or install apps, Google, or third-party. That's not all. Hangouts will not send messages. Even in full LTE connectivity and 5 GHz Wifi AC, message could not send both to Android users (one used messages, the other Hangouts) and to an iPhone. It was like deja vu with my old iPhone 4S. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL. YouTube was giving me hell, too. When I would type into the search bar to search for a video, the search bar would clear. For example, if I'm looking up and type into the search bar on YouTube "Linus Tech Tips," then it'll work. But if after that I backspace or "x" out "Linus Tech Tips," and type something else, say, "Build a Gaming PC," If I use Swype (Swiftkey, Google Keyboard, or HTC Sense), the first word shows up, but as I'm typing, the subsequent words are erased and "Linus Tech Tips" shows up in the search bar (check him out if you don't already). This is EXTREMELY frustrating and now I can't watch The Joy of Painting. Damn. Finally, the CPU and heat I mentioned before is crazy. The CPU is always between 79% and 99% at all times. the RAM is usually at about 75% as normal, but the CPU is running nuclear hot. It's going to 105-115 degrees Fahrenheit. This worries me, all of this, because I wonder if this is the fault of the new 4.4.3 update for the AT&T M8 model or maybe underlying causes. I've had Malwarebytes scan my phone and find nothing. That caches are cleared and nothing seems to work. If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful because my only option in my mind is to do a hard factory reset of the device. Thanks to anoye who can help, and if not, then, oh well. Thanks, and sorry I made an essay out of this, this is really a big problem for me.

You are not alone. HTC has acknowledged this problem and has stopped the rollout of the update.

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
ok, as weird as this sounds - I like others was having trouble receiving text messages, so I switched my SMS over to hangouts, then back to stock messaging. Ever since then things have seemed to stabilize for me. Battery has stopped draining like crazy, phone has cooled down and apps are installing again from the play store. Hopefully I'm clear, I'll update tomorrow.

Joe Fullam

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I took the OTA update on Wednesday and it was a mess. Phone running constantly hot and battery draining 1-2% every few minutes. Trouble sending/receiving texts... Last night I backed up everything on the phone using the HTC Backup app and did a hard reset. Only took a few minutes. Then I restored everything using HTC Backup and now all is right with the world. Works great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy