Huge Problems After 4.4.3 AT&T Update

nparker7

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I updated last Thursday and my phone hasn't been the same since. I tried to manage over the weekend by turning off fast boot, turning on Power Saver mode, flipping my SMSs from Messages to Hangouts and back, and force stopping apps that seemed to be eating battery life. There's something keeping the device awake and talking to the network at all times...screen on or off. I've tried to be patient and I tried to wait for the update to settle down but nothing's helped.

I called HTC this morning and they walked me through wiping the cache partition and re-calibrated the battery. I did that twice and still had severe battery drain. I called back within the last 2 hours and this time they gave me instructions to boot into safe mode. The battery drain stopped but the device is neutered. I rebooted into regular mode and the battery drain ramps back up.

The HTC rep told me that they haven't issued any OTA fixes because the problems aren't widespread. He asked me quite a few questions about what I've experienced under the premise that he was going to pass the info along to the people that are troubleshooting the problem.

Didem Unal

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
This is a nightmare for me. What are my issues:
* Phonebook resets chosen resources every time.
* I cannot search anything, it returns whole list. If i scroll down to find what i need and click, it doesn't show details. Basically my phonebook is not working.
* Whatsapp freezes every time i open it from the notification pane, i need to restart Whatsapp every time i open it.
* Battery lifetime shortened significantly.

I am afraid what other issues i haven't came across yet.. want a downgrade. What should i do :(:(

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
* Phonebook resets chosen resources every time.
I don't understand that sentence, nor what you say is wrong. Would you reword it?

* I cannot search anything, it returns whole list. If i scroll down to find what i need and click, it doesn't show details. Basically my phonebook is not working.
Search in what? What application are you using to search, and what are you trying to search for in it?

* Whatsapp freezes every time i open it from the notification pane, i need to restart Whatsapp every time i open it.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling Whatsapp. After you uninstall it test all of the other things you said were wrong. Its possible Whatsapp may have been related to/causing them.

* Battery lifetime shortened significantly.
Check in your settings to see what is listed as using the highest amounts of battery. You can also install a battery monitoring app (like GSam) to get more information. After you determine what is using up battery alter its settings to reduce its battery consumption.

Also clear your cache partion if you haven't already as that solves most people's issues after system updates:
Cache partition: HTC One (M8) | T-Mobile Support

LondoJowo

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I updated last Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning after I took the phone off charge I noticed the battery didn't fully charge, I tried the cache clearing route several times to no avail, and finally decided to go with a factory reset and the phone has been running great since. In the phone seems to be a little faster and the battery drain is better than before the update.

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Just so everyone knows a master reset works wonders after the update here. Don't know why, and I guess I didn't mean to do a reset so quickly, as I usually like to work my way through the mess. I don't use my phone too much for calls, but do a lot of days intensive work on it. Noticed my phone last from 6 hours BEFORE the update, to 24 hours AFTER the update. I noticed the phone worked fantastic on battery life, and without little effort.

Posted via the Android Central App

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Just so everyone knows a master reset works wonders after the update here. Don't know why, and I guess I didn't mean to do a reset so quickly, as I usually like to work my way through the mess. I don't use my phone too much for calls, but do a lot of days intensive work on it. Noticed my phone last from 6 hours BEFORE the update, to 24 hours AFTER the update. I noticed the phone worked fantastic on battery life, and without little effort.

In your case, I doubt the update had much to do with your battery gains. You must have had something chewing at your battery before the update and the factory reset cleared that up, not the update. But that's still good to hear!

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
This is a major screw up by AT&T that effects HTC greatly as the new (larger screen) iPhone will get all the press for a while now..
Why couldn't that work closer with HTC and get a good update out ???

Shockracer

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Think all the people talking Smack about how long it takes VZW to release an update stepped on their toes.

I'm enjoying my 4.4.3 update right now from VZW!

Conaxas

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm in New Zealand so not with AT&T, but yesterday morning after I updated my M8 to 4.4.3, many apps stopped working, camera stopped working, Wi-Fi won't start. I did a factory reset after backing up contacts and SMS messages, it did not resolve the problem.

Paul Falgout

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I had these exact same issues with the 4.4.3 update on T-Mobile for my M7. Exact same.. but after it got really hot it shut down and won't come back on.. My wife's overheated as well, but I was able to fix it by clearing the cache.. No such luck with my phone.. it's dead and out of warranty. Thanks HTC.

legalninja

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Not an M8, but my M7 lost the ability to download music to my device in Google Play Music and to back up photos to my G+ backup account when on WiFi. The only workaround is to turn off mobile data while on WiFi and it will work then. Phone has been reset multiple times with AT&T customer service and with HTC customer service as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon