Huge Problems After 4.4.3 AT&T Update

ptakistan

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi, everyone, this is my first time here, so bear with me. On Wednesday, August 28, I downloaded the new Kit Kat 4.4.3 update from AT&T onto my One M8. Right after and for a few hours after, everything was in great condition as always. I've had my M8 since launch and haven't had a problem since and hold it very dear to me. Then, after about four hours, I noticed the phone was getting hot, really hot. I had power saver on as always and I saw that the CPU was taxed at 97%, just having Instagram running and YouTube actively showing a video. So I restarted the phone, clearing the cache and making sure that nothing was working too hard. That's when the problems really started coming up. It was getting hot but I ignored it and went to the Play Store to update my banking app and download Reddit News. After seven minutes of a normally one minute (if that) update, I stopped the download, cleared the cache and tried again. Nothing. So Google Play won't download, update, or install apps, Google, or third-party. That's not all. Hangouts will not send messages. Even in full LTE connectivity and 5 GHz Wifi AC, message could not send both to Android users (one used messages, the other Hangouts) and to an iPhone. It was like deja vu with my old iPhone 4S. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL. YouTube was giving me hell, too. When I would type into the search bar to search for a video, the search bar would clear. For example, if I'm looking up and type into the search bar on YouTube "Linus Tech Tips," then it'll work. But if after that I backspace or "x" out "Linus Tech Tips," and type something else, say, "Build a Gaming PC," If I use Swype (Swiftkey, Google Keyboard, or HTC Sense), the first word shows up, but as I'm typing, the subsequent words are erased and "Linus Tech Tips" shows up in the search bar (check him out if you don't already). This is EXTREMELY frustrating and now I can't watch The Joy of Painting. Damn. Finally, the CPU and heat I mentioned before is crazy. The CPU is always between 79% and 99% at all times. the RAM is usually at about 75% as normal, but the CPU is running nuclear hot. It's going to 105-115 degrees Fahrenheit. This worries me, all of this, because I wonder if this is the fault of the new 4.4.3 update for the AT&T M8 model or maybe underlying causes. I've had Malwarebytes scan my phone and find nothing. That caches are cleared and nothing seems to work. If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful because my only option in my mind is to do a hard factory reset of the device. Thanks to anoye who can help, and if not, then, oh well. Thanks, and sorry I made an essay out of this, this is really a big problem for me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you say that you cleared the cache, do you mean the individual app caches, or the system cache partition (from the Recovery Menu)?

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Some of the same issues here as well. After the update my phone is really hot and I've noticed that with wifi on my 4G seems to be constantly going (not sure if that is new or not) also the sync double arrow is popping up a lot as well. Also tried to install an app for the play store and it took forever to download 6 megs (usually that would take a couple of seconds) then it took a minute or so to install... Not sure what's going on, but not happy right now.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Add me to the list. My phone is much warmer now all of the time and I've dropped 40% in battery power in 2.5 hours off a full charge with very little actual activity using my device. I don't seem to get LTE anymore either. Hope there is a patch soon.

Posted with my HTC M8 via the Android Central App

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I turned off the quick reboot option, restarted my phone and I got lte back. My phone seems to be running cooler too. Battery life still seems to be very poor however.

Posted with my HTC M8 via the Android Central App

mlthd

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Same issues here. Ridiculous battery drain, and the phone is really getting hot. Gonna try clearing cache and a factory reset.

ibpnyc

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
can someone update if a factory reset works. i tried turning off fastboot last night and powering off for about 5-10 mins but the same things are still happening.

mlthd

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, I think that the factory reset fixed it. It's been over an hour now, and the phone isn't overheating anymore. Battery life has only dropped 2% in that hour instead of the 2% every five minutes after the update.

ibpnyc

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think that the factory reset fixed it. It's been over an hour now, and the phone isn't overheating anymore. Battery life has only dropped 2% in that hour instead of the 2% every five minutes after the update.

did you do a backup of all your apps and settings are are you reinstalling your apps one by one?

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
NO, a factory reset is not an answer! Somebody tell me there is another option, I don't want to reset my phone, PITA...

Also add Timely to the list of apps that didn't work this morning, so my alarm didn't go off and I was late to work, thank you very much.

ibpnyc

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
NO, a factory reset is not an answer! Somebody tell me there is another option, I don't want to reset my phone, PITA...

Also add Timely to the list of apps that didn't work this morning, so my alarm didn't go off and I was late to work, thank you very much.

actually didnt notice but my sense alarms didnt go off either! what is the other option?

budlight-budlight

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
such an awesome phone hard to believe they would screw up an update as bad as it sounds...working so good I could careless if there was an update so I never look glad I didn't...sorry to hear all your guys/gals problems good job on being the guinee pigs though..im sure there will be a fix

ibpnyc

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, hoping for an emergency patch, or a way to roll back to 4.4.2, but is there a way to report to AT&T so they are aware of these issues?

i spoke to HTC this morning and the rep mentioned I was the 1st instance. Im sure users will be calling AT&T soon since the batt life is horrendous and not to mention SMS are lagging!