HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Depending on the length and condition of the cable, that could be it. USB cables are prone to going bad, so I'd suspect that first unless it's a new cable. Also, longer ones also have reduced current capacity, which may be playing a part too, if it's longer than the stock one.

As for the chargers you listed, the first one would work, the second could cause issues. The stock charger on the M8 is rated at 1.5A. The first charger listed is rated at 2.1A, which would be plenty. Just don't be lead to believe that would charge your phone faster, because it's the phone that determines how much current to pull from the charger. Unless your stock charger is defective and not putting out the full amount, of course.

The second charger is weaker than the stock setup, which could prevent your phone from charging properly. If the phone is idle, it'll likely be enough to charge. If you're actively using the phone, it's possible you may see your charge level go down even if it is plugged in simply because that charger couldn't keep up with demand. That could also potentially shorten the life of the charger because it's being over worked.

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Micro USB was designed to be disposable, the plugs wear out so the port on your device doesn't.

Get a good charger and some sturdy cables and you'll have no issues

My M8 posted this

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I was always told going micro USB was so there was a single standard that allowed the use of less cables and less waste. That's admirable, but I do think they should have went with a more durable standard. USB wasn't intended to be used as a power source. But whichever is true, it still sucks to have to replace them at least a couple times a year or more (in my case, anyway).

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I was always told going micro USB was so there was a single standard that allowed the use of less cables and less waste. That's admirable, but I do think they should have went with a more durable standard. USB wasn't intended to be used as a power source. But whichever is true, it still sucks to have to replace them at least a couple times a year or more (in my case, anyway).

I'd rather the sockets be durable and the cables disposable, as it is now

My M8 posted this

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It kept suggesting me to use the cable that came with it over the universal one I'm using since the oem one is broke.

Is that the only culprit besides having max brightness and using internet heavily on it?

2 1 Amp Rapid Home Wall AC Charger Micro USB Cable for Verizon Cell Phone | eBay

New Wall Home AC Charger with Detachable Micro USB Cable for HTC One M8 M7 7 4G | eBay

I saw these on ebay, will any of those work?
I think you unwittingly answered your own question in your 2nd paragraph.
It's tough to ask a charger to compete with a screen set at 100% while also heavily using the Internet on a device. You're gonna get extremely slow charging times and when you're unplugged you're gonna get rapid battery depletion.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from a pretty inexpensive 10 foot cable (with the stock wall-wort) , to the stock cable, and it charges MUCH faster.

Last edited:

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I can't seem to get a good charge, it takes ages. For the past two days it's be sluggish, I'm using the charger that came w my M7 it's like 5ft long. I tried using the stock & still goes so slow. I'm in the process of attempting to kill my phone then charge new. Read that it should help

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't kill the battery. That note good for the battery and it shouldn't make a difference.

Once in a while, running a battery down to the cutoff is ok and is part of the calibration process if that's ever needed. Doing it all the time,, yes that will kill a battery quicker.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Once in a while, running a battery down to the cutoff is ok and is part of the calibration process if that's ever needed. Doing it all the time,, yes that will kill a battery quicker.
There is no calibration process. That a myth that comes from old nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries, and doesn't apply to lithium ion (Li-ion) batteries that are used in today's smartphones. Li-ion batteries don't need to be calibrated.

Draining a Li-ion battery all the way will cause damage. Fortunately, your phone operating system prevents that (when it says 0% and the phone shuts off, it's not actually at 0%).But if you were told force it by repeatedly booting the phone until it won't boot anymore, then you'd be causing damage.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There is no calibration process. That a myth that comes from old nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries, and doesn't apply to lithium ion (Li-ion) batteries that are used in today's smartphones. Li-ion batteries don't need to be calibrated.

Draining a Li-ion battery all the way will cause damage. Fortunately, your phone operating system prevents that (when it says 0% and the phone shuts off, it's not actually at 0%).But if you were told force it by repeatedly booting the phone until it won't boot anymore, then you'd be causing damage.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/battery_calibration

This is why I used "calibrated" instead of "conditioned." The battery itself could still be fine, it's just the meter isn't reading it right. I also said to only run it down to the cutoff (or close to it would work too), not what you said about force booting it afterwards. Doing a full discharge/recharge cycle once in a while isn't going to dramatically shorten the life of the battery. If you're the kind of person that babies your phone battery and goes by the book, you'd only intentionally draw it down that low just a few times a year. Maybe even less, if you're not getting any abnormal readings. In the case of Smply_Rcklss post, doing a calibration once isn't to hurt. It's not the first thing I'd suggest simply because the cables are so prone to going bad, but he's not doing any damage by doing so as part of diagnosing a problem.

Rakesh Kumar28

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
My HTC one m8 is charging very slowly and it is discharging veryfastly when I am charging my phone it showing the notification thatyour app is consuming lot of power, but trust me Ihave clearing recently used app but no use of it my phone is bahaving same please help me and my android is is consuming lot of power and I am planning to install custom Rom will it help??? Please suggest me thanks in advance

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty rare to have a rogue app consuming that much power. I'm betting the battery itself is bad. Batteries at the end of their life sometimes charge very slow and drain very quickly due to lost capacity. Changing apps and ROMS won't fix that, only a battery replacement will (which isn't user serviceable on the M8 ).

There is one way to check if there is a rouge app consuming a lot of power. Simply looking at the stock consumption meter isn't always a good indication. It lists battery consumption of a percentage of the amount of total amount of battery power used. If your phone is fully charged and you check the consumption an hour later to see an app reading something like 75% battery usage, there's a huge difference if the battery meter is reading 90% left and only 20% left.

So you will want to check the battery temps to help diagnose this. An app like Gsam is great for this. If an app is causing massive battery drain, that must mean it's causing a lot of processing activity. That will cause the temp to rise. You may be able to notice this just by feeling the phone as well. You should check this without a case on the phone because they can insulate it and cause normal temps to be elevated. If the battery drains quickly but the temperature remains normal, then it's not an app. In this case it's almost certainly the battery.

Other issues that can cause quick battery drain are weak signals for the mobile and Wi-Fi connection, a lot of apps syncing in the background, and simply using the phone a lot.

IamSavic

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I bought a quick charge last Christmas for 30 bucks on htc cite had my cousin from us buy it for me n i gave him the money I live in Canada best 30 bucks ever it charges alot faster then the one it came with

Posted via the Android Central App

helplessbaconn

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Hey Star-Lord. Not sure if you are still having this issue but I was also and have discovered a fix in some other forums. My phone was at the point where it died and would no longer charge so was pretty much unusable. All I did was hold the power button and volume up and down buttons for around 2 minutes and my phone restarted and finally started charging. according to the forums it should solve this problem and help with charging speed and battery loss :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome