Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    It kept suggesting me to use the cable that came with it over the universal one I'm using since the oem one is broke.

    Is that the only culprit besides having max brightness and using internet heavily on it?

    2 1 Amp Rapid Home Wall AC Charger Micro USB Cable for Verizon Cell Phone | eBay

    New Wall Home AC Charger with Detachable Micro USB Cable for HTC One M8 M7 7 4G | eBay

    I saw these on ebay, will any of those work?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    Depending on the length and condition of the cable, that could be it. USB cables are prone to going bad, so I'd suspect that first unless it's a new cable. Also, longer ones also have reduced current capacity, which may be playing a part too, if it's longer than the stock one.

    As for the chargers you listed, the first one would work, the second could cause issues. The stock charger on the M8 is rated at 1.5A. The first charger listed is rated at 2.1A, which would be plenty. Just don't be lead to believe that would charge your phone faster, because it's the phone that determines how much current to pull from the charger. Unless your stock charger is defective and not putting out the full amount, of course.

    The second charger is weaker than the stock setup, which could prevent your phone from charging properly. If the phone is idle, it'll likely be enough to charge. If you're actively using the phone, it's possible you may see your charge level go down even if it is plugged in simply because that charger couldn't keep up with demand. That could also potentially shorten the life of the charger because it's being over worked.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    Micro USB was designed to be disposable, the plugs wear out so the port on your device doesn't.

    Get a good charger and some sturdy cables and you'll have no issues

    My M8 posted this
  4. #4  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    I was always told going micro USB was so there was a single standard that allowed the use of less cables and less waste. That's admirable, but I do think they should have went with a more durable standard. USB wasn't intended to be used as a power source. But whichever is true, it still sucks to have to replace them at least a couple times a year or more (in my case, anyway).
  5. #5  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    I was always told going micro USB was so there was a single standard that allowed the use of less cables and less waste. That's admirable, but I do think they should have went with a more durable standard. USB wasn't intended to be used as a power source. But whichever is true, it still sucks to have to replace them at least a couple times a year or more (in my case, anyway).
    I'd rather the sockets be durable and the cables disposable, as it is now

    My M8 posted this
  6. #6  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    I'd rather have both like the last non-smart phone I had.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
    It kept suggesting me to use the cable that came with it over the universal one I'm using since the oem one is broke.

    Is that the only culprit besides having max brightness and using internet heavily on it?

    2 1 Amp Rapid Home Wall AC Charger Micro USB Cable for Verizon Cell Phone | eBay

    New Wall Home AC Charger with Detachable Micro USB Cable for HTC One M8 M7 7 4G | eBay

    I saw these on ebay, will any of those work?
    I think you unwittingly answered your own question in your 2nd paragraph.
    It's tough to ask a charger to compete with a screen set at 100% while also heavily using the Internet on a device. You're gonna get extremely slow charging times and when you're unplugged you're gonna get rapid battery depletion.
  8. #8  

    Default

    I just switched from a pretty inexpensive 10 foot cable (with the stock wall-wort) , to the stock cable, and it charges MUCH faster.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    I can't seem to get a good charge, it takes ages. For the past two days it's be sluggish, I'm using the charger that came w my M7 it's like 5ft long. I tried using the stock & still goes so slow. I'm in the process of attempting to kill my phone then charge new. Read that it should help

    Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸
  10. #10  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    Don't kill the battery. That note good for the battery and it shouldn't make a difference.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    I wish we had access to Quick Charge 2.0 in the US.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    Don't kill the battery. That note good for the battery and it shouldn't make a difference.
    Once in a while, running a battery down to the cutoff is ok and is part of the calibration process if that's ever needed. Doing it all the time,, yes that will kill a battery quicker.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Once in a while, running a battery down to the cutoff is ok and is part of the calibration process if that's ever needed. Doing it all the time,, yes that will kill a battery quicker.
    There is no calibration process. That a myth that comes from old nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries, and doesn't apply to lithium ion (Li-ion) batteries that are used in today's smartphones. Li-ion batteries don't need to be calibrated.

    Draining a Li-ion battery all the way will cause damage. Fortunately, your phone operating system prevents that (when it says 0% and the phone shuts off, it's not actually at 0%).But if you were told force it by repeatedly booting the phone until it won't boot anymore, then you'd be causing damage.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    There is no calibration process. That a myth that comes from old nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries, and doesn't apply to lithium ion (Li-ion) batteries that are used in today's smartphones. Li-ion batteries don't need to be calibrated.

    Draining a Li-ion battery all the way will cause damage. Fortunately, your phone operating system prevents that (when it says 0% and the phone shuts off, it's not actually at 0%).But if you were told force it by repeatedly booting the phone until it won't boot anymore, then you'd be causing damage.
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ry_calibration

    This is why I used "calibrated" instead of "conditioned." The battery itself could still be fine, it's just the meter isn't reading it right. I also said to only run it down to the cutoff (or close to it would work too), not what you said about force booting it afterwards. Doing a full discharge/recharge cycle once in a while isn't going to dramatically shorten the life of the battery. If you're the kind of person that babies your phone battery and goes by the book, you'd only intentionally draw it down that low just a few times a year. Maybe even less, if you're not getting any abnormal readings. In the case of Smply_Rcklss post, doing a calibration once isn't to hurt. It's not the first thing I'd suggest simply because the cables are so prone to going bad, but he's not doing any damage by doing so as part of diagnosing a problem.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: HTC One M8 is using too much power and taking too long to charge.

    Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    I just switched from a pretty inexpensive 10 foot cable (with the stock wall-wort) , to the stock cable, and it charges MUCH faster.
    Just bought a 10-foot cable from Monoprice, and it charges it up fast just like the OEM cable. Monoprice for life.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 04:41 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2014, 11:52 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 10:42 PM
  4. LG G2 lockup when charging
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 07:59 PM
  5. Voice and Data Roaming will not turn off
    By Letho72 in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 03:10 PM

Posting Permissions