HTC One now?

banesfist

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My contract will be up soon and the M8 is high on my list of potential phones. How do you guys like it after having it for a while? Still worth the buy?

Posted via Android Central App

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Love it and have no desire for another phone right now. Depending on how soon your contract is up, the only thing I would do is maybe wait and see what's next in the nexus line...

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're super interested in the possibility of another Nexus phone, there's no reason not to buy now. The M8 is still fairly young. If it were a year from release then maybe wait and see then, but it's still early enough to be competitive with everything until around March next year.

banesfist

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. The Note 4 isn't my style and we'll never get anything Sony here in the states. Unless the next nexus is amazing I'll be getting the M8.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. The Note 4 isn't my style and we'll never get anything Sony here in the states. Unless the next nexus is amazing I'll be getting the M8.

FYI: Sony Z3 is coming to US for Tmobile and possibly Sprint.... ;)

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Super fast phone, no lag unlike the G3. The build is beautiful, screen is a good size and the speakers are really nice. Downside, no removable battery.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Get it. You won't regret it for a second! Got mine 3 months ago and loving my decision!!

Sent from my HTC One M8 via the UnCarrier

heyron

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely go for the M8 unless you are interested in the next iPhone.. I did extensive research, much of it hands on with other top phones right now and the M8 is without a doubt the best available in my opinion. Second choice would have been the 5S but I didn't want to get that with the new one so close to being announced.

Posted via the Android Central App

BockBock

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I have no regrets about my M8 purchase a few months back but there are a couple things to consider vs the competition:

1. Camera: It's great as a social media shooter, don't expect to make prints from them larger than 4x6 or 5x7. Other devices offer enough MP to print at larger sizes. Sure they might not look great but they will surely look better than an enlarged 4MP image.
  2. Weight: Due to it's beautiful metal frame it's also slippery which necessitates a case (for me anyway). My wife's S5 + Otterbox feels light as a feather compared to my M8 with a Spigen Armor case.

One device to hold out to see how it reviews would be the new Moto X as it has nearly the same specs as the M8 and no gaudy UI skin.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Ive owned quite a few Android and windows phones over the last 12 months, including the G3, S5, lumia 1520 and 1020.. and I love the M8.. best phone Ive ever owned.. Speakers are fantastic and build quality is awesome.. OS 443 is liquid smooth and battery life isnt bad either.

Word of caution and a bit of advise: Dont watch youTube reviews, because they ALL rubbish the camera, but now that the M8 has had a few updates and on 443 its an impressive beast.. advice: Learn some photography basics, ISO, WB, Exposure and shutter speed and how they work together.. as in Manual mode.. the camera can be stunning.. in Auto.. its good.

Taken with ISO 400

flowers.jpg

Charles Hinkle

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Had my M8 for about a month and it's a fantastic phone. This was my first android phone( necessitated by work) and I spent a lot of time researching and reviewing before I made my decision. My past phones have been Nokia N8, 808, N9, and 920. My wife has a 1020. Some would call me a Symbian refugee. My family is littered with Android and iOS. There are no regrets what so ever as the M8 is very powerful, versatile, and well built. Battery life has been excellent. The camera comes under a lot of scrutiny but it's fine for everyday use, and its very fast. I'd go on to say I'm completely satisfied with the camera, and this coming from someone with two 41MP Nokia camera phones in his house.

Last edited:

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
My contract will be up soon and the M8 is high on my list of potential phones. How do you guys like it after having it for a while? Still worth the buy?

Positives:

This phone is beautiful. Before getting this phone, I didn't think the aesthetics would be as important, and I chose this over the Samsung Galaxy S5 for other reasons. I was wrong. The beauty of this phone has really been one thing that has stuck with me. Even with my Spigen case on it, it is a thing of beauty. Aside from that, the phone is very quick. I didn't like the Blink launcher so I picked up Nova. I didn't like the keyboard, so I got SwiftKey. I still love Sense 6. The phone doesn't have as much bloat from HTC as the GS5 does, but it does have a ton of bloat from VZW. I've removed it all through quick-rooting with weaksauce, then just using a root-uninstaller to rid myself of the bloat. The camera has been fantastic for me, though I admit to not using it much.

Negatives:

There are only 2 things with this phone that I'd call negatives. The first is a stuck pixel (only 1). I have an app for it that's supposed to get it un-stuck, but I keep forgetting to run it over night to really get it unstuck. The second negative is that the top bezel where the front camera is is coming up in the corner. This is a build quality issue - basically, they didn't glue it down properly. The rest of it is flawless, so I can't even really complain about it.

And we're getting the new update (Verizon M8s are) next week, so even more awesome sauce on the way (like the Emergency Power Saver mode...finally!).

So I recommend the phone very very highly. I'm getting a GS5 through work (it was that or an iPhone...the choice was easy) so I'll be able to compare and contrast, but I know that I love this phone and wouldn't trade it for any other phone right now.

mxvilla

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! I've read the whole thread but I need some opinions...

I've been wanting to buy an m8 for months now. I was right about to do so (I'm in the UK and would get in on contract) but then I read the rumors about the m8 Eye coming next month...

Do you think I should wait? Or should I just get the current one? If a new m8 is announced, it's supposed to use a regular 13MP camera and I don't know if the price would be the same or even when it would be available here...

What do you guys think?

Thanks! :)

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have not heard about "M8 Eye", I just know about the M8 with Windows Phone on it, and I can tell you that Android is so much better from my experience so yeah.. I'd definitely go for the M8 on contract if you still have the chance - I'd most certainly not hold out for a Windows Phone.

mxvilla

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have not heard about "M8 Eye", I just know about the M8 with Windows Phone on it, and I can tell you that Android is so much better from my experience so yeah.. I'd definitely go for the M8 on contract if you still have the chance - I'd most certainly not hold out for a Windows Phone.

Oh no, I wouldn't get it with Windows! :p

This "M8 Eye" they're talking about is supposed to be the same M8 but with a 13MP camera and a different front facing camera too. Just that.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Oh no, I wouldn't get it with Windows! :p

This "M8 Eye" they're talking about is supposed to be the same M8 but with a 13MP camera and a different front facing camera too. Just that.

Logically, it'd be stupid to release a M8 with different hardware specifications when a M8 with Windows Phone is being released, and I highly doubt the rumors are true. The M8's camera isn't even bad to be quite honest. I am no photographer but the photos come out fine (both day and night ones) even on a computer screen.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
The Eye is still just a rumor. The E8 has a 13MP camera (non-dual camera), and it gives up the metal body for plastic and doesn't include the IR blaster. If your current phone is still functional you could hold out for another month and see if anything new really comes out. How much do you use your phone's camera? What do you think of your current phone's picture quality, and how many MP is it? If you don't use your camera much, or use it mostly for snapping pictures of your meals, signs, or close objects you may not need a 13MP camera. Some people complain about the current m8 camera, but its a good camera if you take the time to learn the different ways you can use it. There are some professional photographers on the forum who use the m8 and say its a great camera, so you may want to listen to them as opposed to the Joe Schmoes who don't have a clue how to operate a camera or take a picture.

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm stuck right in the middle my contract is up in march. And I want this phone bad but it's 6 months in and heard the m9 will be out 1st qtr of 2015 that's right in line for me to get that on contract. But I'm tired of my iPhone 5 and apple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463