Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unlinking contacts after transfer from iPhone

I have recently changed over to Android (HTC One M8) from iOS. Since transferring all my contacts there are issues with contact linking - perhaps I may have messaged contacts previously on the iphone & now the htc is always linking them. So, for example, the Wife is seeing all messages sent only to the Husband etc. Clearly, not a good situation . Anyone out there have a fix or ideas?

Default Re: Unlinking contacts after transfer from iPhone

The best advice I can give, is to input your contacts into Gmail, and only Gmail, and manage them there. The interface is clean, and then you can limit your phone to ONLY show Gmail contacts, and problem should be solved. Likewise, you will never ever have to export, or import, contacts ever again. Add your Gmail account and done- even were you to go back to iPhone.

From within the Contacts app, you can manage contacts-EXPORT. Email that file to yourself, then get to a computer and login to Gmail. IMPORT that file into Gmail, then spend the time to clean them up and make them pretty; you only need to spend the time this one time. Once you have them pristine, go back to the Contacts app and unselect all contacts sources except for your Gmail. Should fix things up, and smooth the ride for whatever the next phone is. You never want to have to transfer your contacts again!

If for some reason you do not want to put your contacts in the cloud for safe keeping, use the Contacts app-MANAGE CONTACTS and you can click LINKED CONTACTS. That will list all the linkages up and you can break the links. I have not been a fan of the contact links anyways... not certain of the benefit compared to a single cloud-contacts store.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply & advice. Attempting to export contacts from the HTC One M8 & importing to gmail but currently struggling due to format issues (HTC export is a .vef file ?!). Still, have gone & broken all those links as you suggested, hopefully will sort out the issue. Still, would love to just do an export - if you know of any fixes for this, much appreciated

P.S. .vef file was a .vcf file with a password protection - remove protection, fixed & all good. Just in case anyone else asks

As I am sure you found out, the import is never too pretty, but better than starting over .