On my HTC M8 why isn't the EPS Mode being consistant?

korhal

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
HTC M8 EPS Mode

Question as per subject.

Just bought my M8 a few days back. absolutely love it to bits..

and as usual with new "toys" , I tend to stress test every little bit of the "toy" to the max..

But the thing I noted the most is the EPS mode (extreme power saving Mode).

After installing all the essential apps (for me at least), I tried the EPS mode but activating it when I go to sleep.
First time I did this, I left it in EPS mode for 8 hours or so and the power drain is just 1%.

Talk about wow..

but here is where the problems come in.. after the next couple of days, I used EPS everytime I go to sleep
and started noting the drain becoming not as eifficent as before. Just last night, the drain is at 5% in EPS mode.
Note, I did not install any new apps since the first test that drained only 1%.

Anyone with any ideas please drop a suggestion or advice on this..

Thanks,

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC M8 EPS Mode

Do you use the Alarm?, if so, are you the kind of person who wakes as soon as the Alarm starts? if not, then that could be what causing the drain on the EPS as the Alarm could go on and on without you realizing.

Sent from my HTC One M8

korhal

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

Do you use the Alarm?, if so, are you the kind of person who wakes as soon as the Alarm starts? if not, then that could be what causing the drain on the EPS as the Alarm could go on and on without you realizing.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Nope. No Alarm.. I use a tablet for the alarms...

Tiriyon

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site

*Battery percentage is inaccurate on all devices*

Now lets talk LION err no.. LI ION.
So batteries capacity changes and when the phone was just new the battery capacity was higher then it is now.
Now don't panic, if you'll notice the first charges you did (if u used the original 2amp 5v charger that came with one m8) were longer then they are now. After a little usage the battery stabilize and loses some "weight" to it.
So don't worry your battery isn't dying or anything, it just atabilizes.

(well it actually is dying sliwly but not as rapid as the capacity loss when stabilizing)

A few battery tips:
* don't let it warm up too much.
In case it does overheat the phone will shut down as a fail safety. Even with the fail safe mechanism in mind, overheading battery lises capacity faster then a cold battery.
*for the abive- don't go maniacly paranoid and place your phone in the freezer, if the battery goes too cool it will drain, also humidty within fridge, a/c, and other cooling systems can cause corrosion.
* Don't drain your battery below 40% too much, this cause battery erosion aswell.
*The larger capacuty of your battery is between 80% to 40%,which means the way from 100 to 80, and 40-0 are shorter then 80-40.
*use only the charger supplied with your phone. Different amp and voltage frequencies can dmg the battery seriously (battery/charger explosions).
*don't charge it via pc, USB port 2.0 supply high frequncies and 3.0 even higher, that may charge your phone faster but may cause unwanted dmg on both ends of the micro usb cable.
On that note, while the phone is connected to the pc it transfer data as well as charge, which can cause internal memory issues and more battery charging/capacity issues.

Hope this illuminate some stuff.

(p.s battery savers are a hoax and wear the cpu, don't use them)

Posted via a waiting to be rooted One M8

korhal

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

Well, tried last night again and another 5% drain on EPS..

I am pretty sure I drain less without using EPS.. so might try without EPS tonight and see the results..

BTW, why I am so paranoid about EPS is because it is reported able to save battery a lot more
so who doesn't want to capitalize on that, right? hehe.
Figured that I can save a lot of charging time if it works.. so lets see the results tomorrow..

p.s :- Pretty sure the battery drain is around 3 to 4% without EPS if my memory serves me right.. but again, lets
see my results tonight..

korhal

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

My testing aside... Anyone tried EPS?

can you give me a lowdown on the battery drain with EPS on?

Thanks

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

My testing aside... Anyone tried EPS?
can you give me a lowdown on the battery drain with EPS on?
Thanks
Those of us on Verizon will not have it for another day at least, and then we'd have to test it for a day or two to get a feel for it. There is no reports of the Verizon M7 people having any of the problems with their patch that the the AT&T, Sprint, etc M8 people had reported (ex: higher initial battery drain requiring system clear cache partition), so we may not have to go through the same issues they did. One site reports that EPS should get 3 hours for every 1% of battery on the M8, but I believe that is speculation from someone who doesn't have 1st hand experience with the feature. Its also unclear how much calling, texting, or email (the EPS usable features) are used during that time period (if any).

korhal

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

well, just tried leaving the phone as is from the time I knocked myself out till morning..

percentage drained? just 4%..

so it feels kind of illogical for me... without EPS, 4% drain, with EPS, 5% drain... kinds of defeat the so called purpose
of having the EPS on, don't you think?

I'm gonna keep at it for a couple more nights and maybe make snapshots of the results in case
there are other users like me interested to find out more about this EPS thing on the M8...

coocooman3

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Not quite related to the EPS, but used the regular PS move when I first got it (acquired an unlocked m8 in July). Then a few days ago I turned it off because it seemed to me that it wasn't doing much. Battery life send to improve. However, my usage changes by day, so not sure. But it certainly seemed like it wasn't saving that much, if any. I don't use EPS, since I'm not a fan of any of HTC's stock apps, and that's all it works with. Perhaps something got messed up because I kept the setting enabled for two months without turning it off. But now I'm suspicious.

Posted via the Android Central App

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site

I think EPS works best when your battery is running low and you're not going to be near a charger anytime soon. Works great for me that way.

That being said, if you're just using it when you go to sleep, there's not much of an advantage to it.

From HTC:

Aside from letting you use only the very basic apps (Phone, Messages, Mail, Calendar, and Calculator), the mode also cuts off the data connection when the screen is inactive, conserves CPU usage, decreases screen brightness, and disables phone vibration to boost the remaining power. If you need to access another app not on the tray, just tap “Exit”.

So, you're asleep. The phone display is off, it's not vibrating, you're not actively using it, CPU is not doing much of anything. What benefits you would see from EPS are already "active," as it were.

And try not to worry too much about charging/discharging. Just charge it when you need to. :p

korhal

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

Its an on and off thing with the EPS during my sleep time it seems..

but it goes around either 4 to 5% drain (last night it was 6%)..

so I went and tried without any power saving mode on.. drop 4% and it stays pretty consistent on that score..

then I tried the normal power saving mode.. granted, I only tried it once, it dropped only 3%.. freaky...
gonna try this normal saving mode a couple more times to average out the results..

well, I figured that if EPS works like they say it will, it will really save on the drain when I am knocked out cold from sleep..
who wouldn't, right? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37