Noticing very slow wifi performance since 4.4.3 update

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
At least the beginning of the issue seems to correlate with 4.4.3.

I never had a problem with download speed before, now downloading a movie takes forever.

I did a speedtest on my PC and I get 6mbs (sky broadband, not the fastest package, but fast enough). and 2mbs upload.

On my One M8 over wifi I get 1.6mbs download and 0.8 upload if I'm lucky. I've seen times when I get 0.25mbs download.

Using T-mobile (UK) HSDPA (I don't have 4G) I get 10mbs download!

I've tried -

1) Different routers.
2) switching wifi channels on my netgear/sky router.
3) restarting the device (turned off fast boot too).

edit: just did the same test on a Nexus 7 results -

Nexus 7 wifi - 4.5mbs
One M8 wifi - 1.6mbs
One M8 3g - 10mbs
PC wired - 6mbs

I'm just downloading a movie as a test, before I would get download speeds of 400kb/s now I'm getting 150kb/s if I'm lucky.
:(

Last edited:

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

I never had a problem with download speed before, now downloading a movie takes forever.

On my One M8 over wifi I get 1.6mbs download and 0.8 upload if I'm lucky. I've seen times when I get 0.25mbs download.

Using T-mobile (UK) HSDPA (I don't have 4G) I get 10mbs download!

Nexus 7 wifi - 4.5mbs
One M8 wifi - 1.6mbs
One M8 3g - 10mbs
PC wired - 6mbs

I'm just downloading a movie as a test, before I would get download speeds of 400kb/s now I'm getting 150kb/s if I'm lucky.
:(

I updated my Verizon HTC One m8 to 4.4.3 the day they finally released the update, and I just did a speed test, and got 45.65Mbps download, 5.35Mbps upload, and 10ms ping. Its taking full advantage of my wifi network.
Like Golfdriver97 said try the system cache partition clear, and see if that helps.
Are you downloading your test movie from the same server as before? (The father away it is the slower your download is likely to be). Have you tried pinging the download location to see if its dropping connection along the way? How far away are you from your router? Have you installed any new electronic devices between your location and the router (that might produce more interference)?
Since your phone gets faster speeds on the 3g, you should be able to get at least that speed for your wifi if your wifi subscription is for at least that speed. Have you experimented with changing your wifi settings (like wifi optimization listed under advanced? - mine runs fine with wifi optimization enabled, but changing it might do something for you). (WiFi settings: clicking on settings -> wifi -> the three dots in the upper right corner).

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Good suggestion reagarding the cache. But just tried - no change :(

Proximity to the router makes no difference, but essentially I am doing nothing different from before.

I tried turning wifi optimisation off as it was on before, but again, no change.

One thing I've noticed when watching the download speed of the movie is that it can drop right down to 0.5kb/s and pick up to around 160kb/s or hover somewhere between. Its really struggling to keep the speed up.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Good suggestion reagarding the cache. But just tried - no change :(

Proximity to the router makes no difference, but essentially I am doing nothing different from before.

I tried turning wifi optimisation off as it was on before, but again, no change.

One thing I've noticed when watching the download speed of the movie is that it can drop right down to 0.5kb/s and pick up to around 160kb/s or hover somewhere between. Its really struggling to keep the speed up.

Have you tried copying the file from your computer to your phone over wifi to see if that's faster? Have you disabled sync settings on the phone to rule out them interfering? Have you shut off your computer to rule out it doing things over wifi at the same time as your phone downloads?

Have you disabled bluetooth and gps to see if they have any effect. Depending on your location service setting it and your gps could be using your wifi behind your back. What is your location service setting set to?

I doubt it will make any difference (its more for connection issues than speed, it was for the m7 not m8, and was with regards to version 4.4.2 not 4.4.3), but you could try this:
Android Revolution HD | Mobile Device Technologies: How To: Fix Wi-Fi connecting issues on the HTC One running Android 4.4.2

Have you tried telling it to forget that wifi network, rebooted, and then re-associated to the wireless network?

What network encryption method (WPA2, WPA, WEP) are you using, and what frequency are you connecting on (2.4Ghz, or 5Ghz)? Both can have an effect on the speed your phone downloads at, so it may be worth you experimenting to see. You can use an app like WiFi Analyzer to see how it fluctuates and what gives you the best signal strength on the phone. You can run an app (like Ookla Speedtest) with each settings to see what gives you the best download speed on the phone for each encryption (and/or Ghz - if your router supports more than one) setting.

Griffin Walter

May 27, 2014
Visit site
hi did you fix the wifi problem? Maybe you can try backup your data and do factory reset to see if it's solved?
Can't say for sure if it's a update issue.

(

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to do some more tests before posting back. However, it seems to have 'fixed' itself. :S Which I'm glad, as i really wanted to avoid a factory reset.

The only thing I really did was turn off wifi optimisation for a few days (+ the cache deletion above). But neither seemed to have any effect, then things seems to sort themselves out, although battery life took a hit which I attributed to the wifi optimisation so turned it back on.. everything has been hunky dory since

:-!

Griffin Walter

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear this , congratulations .
The only thing I really did was turn off wifi optimisation for a few days (+ the cache deletion above). But neither seemed to have any effect, then things seems to sort themselves out, although battery life took a hit which I attributed to the wifi optimisation so turned it back on.. everything has been hunky dory since

:-!

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I spoke too soon. Its started doing it again! I've tried it on 3 different routers :(

I'm going to get someone else with an M8 to connect to the same wifi routers and try a speed test.

Paul Heathcote

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I have been having the same problem, one thing which did make a difference is forcing use of 5ghz rather than the auto setting . This has boosted the download speed to 8mbps, it was about 512k before. Anyone got any suggestions for a better fix than this?

Paul Heathcote

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Well that worked for about 10 mins, then it went back to 512k again. Told it to forget the wireless network and then reconnected, and it was up to 12.7Mbps... Will see how long this lasts.

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Its reeally strange.. Mine seems to be ok at the moment.. I think.. or maybe I've stopped noticing! Either way I've been prompted for a software update just today (74mb) which includes something about wifi hotspot optimisation. Lets see if it has any other effects :)

funmunke

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Wifi is painfully slow. If time is an issue, I turn off wifi and connect through 4G. 4G seems about ten times faster no matter how poor my signal is.

They did do a large firmware update with one of the 4.4.3 updates. My guess is the new firmware is the issue. I don't think there is anything we can do until HTC updates the firmware again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aesthetics1