Considering getting rid of my one m8

chris2707

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Right I've had this phone for a couple of months and essentially I love it but for one major problem....that camera.

Now I know there are tricks settings etc to get it working well but I like to zoom on my photos and its abysmal when it comes to bright outdoor shots too there's far too much glare light coming in.

Add to this the camera lens issue I have now encountered (sent off for repair waiting for it to be returned sometime next week) and its a massive issue I don't know if I can live with, everything else about this phone is god damn brilliant, but that camera...i know htc are trying to do something outside the box but would a 8mp sensor be that much more difficult to fit?

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't feel bad, I spent some time at the AT&T store debating on the G3, M8 and SG5 and went with the G3.
Every phone has its issues and drawbacks.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I was having a issue with crappy pictures but mine ended up being some sort of film they put on the lense. I used Mothers plastic polish and was amazed at the difference it made. I couldn't believe it.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
What Ice-man said. This thread really surprised me.

Perhaps you could buy a compact high-end point & shoot camera; if you are that fussy you should be shooting RAW anyway, and post processing with Adobe Lightroom for optimum results. I won't suggest a DSLR as they are far from portable, but maybe a Canon S110 or similar? Photos on a phone have so many limitations, good phone camera or not -- like listening to music on your phone, photography is never going to be a great experience. If it's just happy snaps you want, who cares, and use a great phone as a phone.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
These sort of threads concern me, but first.. let me say to OP, sorry to read about the lens issue, thats not good.. now onto the reason im adding to this thread...

Like all modern smartphone cameras, the M8 has a wide-angle lens and at very best, a 2x zoom should be all you should ever zoom in at. Why on earth would someone want to zoom into their pictuires when theyve taken it with a wide angle lens, as any photographer worth their salt will tell you... why not walk upto your subject.. frame it correctly in the viewfinder then photograph it, why on earth would you take a picture of a subject 100 or 200 yards away then zoom in?. A true photographer Does not crop.. we frame our shots and use the full lens space.

2nd, videos on youtube.. why do reviewers take picture in the dark.. then say the camera is rubbish in low light... Turn the bloody light on or use your flash.. what the hell is wrong with people these days.

2 of the greatest cameras in existence, the Rolleiflex and Hasselblad both had flixed aperture lenses.. yet photographers walked upto their subjects framed them correctly or used a mounted flash.

As a photographer these kind of threads make me wince, In fact I think all videos about modern smartphone cameras should be banned, because it would seem that no body has a bloody clue how to take a photograph these days.

If you like to zoom.. get yourself a little Nikon or Samsung compact camera with an Optical zoom and dont spend less than $200/ £200.

Good luck

ecjd

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I have been considering it for some time as well too.

The camera does bug me, but it does OK. I can definitely tell the difference between pictures taken with my M8 and my old iPhone.

ktcred

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Really!!! do you guys really decide to buy a PHONE on whether the camera takes professional quality pics ?

Yes, the camera is of great importance to me. If all I wanted was a phone, why wouldn't I just use the Motorola Razr. If you are lurking or posting on these forums, you clearly seek more from these devices than simple "PHONE" capabilities. Everyone has their wants and needs; I think it is just fine that the OP wants a solid camera device. You have your list, others have theirs. Nobody is right or wrong.

(PS: I don't have an opinion on the M8. I've never owned one.)

Posted via Android Central App

ktcred

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
If only the Lumia 1020 ran Android. It is a fantastic device. It is a great size and it has an even better camera. I had to switch due to the app ecosystem and some bugs with my enterprise gmail configuration. I'm now stuck on an S4 (solid device), but am seeking a new device that is no bigger than the S4 (physical and screen size) and has a better camera. I had hopes for the new Moto X, but it is too big. I really like the Z3c, but I have heard that the 20MP doesn't fair that well. Further, AT&T LTE bands haven't been confirmed to my knowledge. I'm leaning more towards an iPhone than I ever have before, but I really don't want to make that switch. Someone please make a good Android phone at or below the 5" screen size.

Posted via Android Central App

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, if you are looking for a new device that has a great camera, check out the new Panasonic CM1. There's a article on the home page about it.

If it had HTC speakers.. I would have someone over their get it for me and ship it here. I Still might..

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, Ultrapixels are a joke. That's one of the big reasons why I got rid of my One. There is sadly no way to correct the issues.

And yes, some of us do care about photo quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith