White screen bumper peeling off

dmbanahan

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my M8 brand new in July. A couple of weeks later the white screen bumper, or seal, that goes around the edge of the LCD started breaking off, completely on it's own. It happened right where the black part of the LCD meets the speaker grill portion of the front face.

I contacted HTC and they sent me a replacement. Unfortunately I just found out that they charged me $200 for a screen replacement, even though they cited the damage as "cosmetic case damage, not covered under warranty." If it's cosmetic case damage why does it require replacing the entire LCD?

To make matters worse I just started noticing the same issue on the refurbished phone they sent me. A piece of the white bumper has already fallen off, and it appears to be splitting or breaking along the other four corners, with tiny tiny splits beginning to form.

My guess is this happens when the phone experiences extreme heat and the metal pushes or stretches the plastic white band. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've searched but found no one else mentioning it, even though it happened on TWO phones for me. The place where it seems to happen is where the antenna band meets the white bumper. I can post pictures later.

I never authorized HTC to charge me the $200 either. I requested they contact me to explain the charge. One day after, they called my phone and let it ring once, then hung up before I could pick it up. They left no call-back message. A few weeks later I notice the charge. This is not good business practice. I am going to call them directly to dispute the charge, but wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience with the M8. I can't be alone here.

Thanks!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I purchased my M8 brand new in July. A couple of weeks later the white screen bumper, or seal, that goes around the edge of the LCD started breaking off, completely on it's own. It happened right where the black part of the LCD meets the speaker grill portion of the front face.

I contacted HTC and they sent me a replacement. Unfortunately I just found out that they charged me $200 for a screen replacement, even though they cited the damage as "cosmetic case damage, not covered under warranty." If it's cosmetic case damage why does it require replacing the entire LCD?

To make matters worse I just started noticing the same issue on the refurbished phone they sent me. A piece of the white bumper has already fallen off, and it appears to be splitting or breaking along the other four corners, with tiny tiny splits beginning to form.

My guess is this happens when the phone experiences extreme heat and the metal pushes or stretches the plastic white band. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've searched but found no one else mentioning it, even though it happened on TWO phones for me. The place where it seems to happen is where the antenna band meets the white bumper. I can post pictures later.

I never authorized HTC to charge me the $200 either. I requested they contact me to explain the charge. One day after, they called my phone and let it ring once, then hung up before I could pick it up. They left no call-back message. A few weeks later I notice the charge. This is not good business practice. I am going to call them directly to dispute the charge, but wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience with the M8. I can't be alone here.

Thanks!

I'll keep an eye out for when you post pics of the damage, but this isn't something I've heard of happening. I'd definitely be pissed about the unauthorized charge though. There's no way I would let them get away with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo