Making the HTC look Stock - What's possible without Rooting/Unlocking Bootloader?

nonstopski

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't really want to mess with missing software updates, and don't want an unstable device. So while looking at the HTC One M8 and the new Moto X, my main concern at this point is the UI. I am on Verizon, FYI.

I may grow to like Sense, but there are various parts about it I definitely don't like when I play with it in stores (things as simple as the app switcher screen drives me nuts).

I would plan on installing Nova Launcher and seeing if that got rid of most of my annoyances.

If I did that, what would I still see from the HTC Sense UI if I am using nova launcher? Other than some sense-specific App icons? Can I disable almost all parts of it (I don't need the features deleted from my phone, just disabled).

I'm still new to android. Switching over from iPhone, but I have a Nexus 7 at home. As you can see, I am trying to replicate the stock Android experience without paying for a GPE phone. Plus, some of the Sense feature would be nice to have potentially.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If I did that, what would I still see from the HTC Sense UI if I am using nova launcher? Other than some sense-specific App icons? Can I disable almost all parts of it (I don't need the features deleted from my phone, just disabled).

The parts of Sense you'd still see are notifications, settings menus, recent apps and dialer.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't really want to mess with missing software updates, and don't want an unstable device. So while looking at the HTC One M8 and the new Moto X, my main concern at this point is the UI. I am on Verizon, FYI.

I may grow to like Sense, but there are various parts about it I definitely don't like when I play with it in stores (things as simple as the app switcher screen drives me nuts).

I would plan on installing Nova Launcher and seeing if that got rid of most of my annoyances.

I'm still new to android. Switching over from iPhone, but I have a Nexus 7 at home. As you can see, I am trying to replicate the stock Android experience without paying for a GPE phone. Plus, some of the Sense feature would be nice to have potentially.

Nova will get you happy :) and you can cover up the things that spock said with other apps.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the above two posts. Give Nova a try - if you don't like it, uninstall or go into system settings > applications > Nova > restore defaults. This will allow you to revert back to Sense. Or, you can install another launcher and give that a try.

Let us know how it goes.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Or you can set it up to use different ones from the home screen by pushing the home button if you are unsure which to use all the time. Any time you reboot as well.

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol