How can I improve the battery life for my HTC One M8?

Jared Prest

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Poor battery life

I bought a HTC One M8 on Monday, I was told to charge it up for a few hours, which I did.
All was going well until I noticed the battery life being quite poor.
I decided to give it a chance by draining the battery and recharging. No such luck.

Today I took it back to the Three shop and got a replacement, I put it on charge and now I'm using it ... It still has very poor battery life. It loses around 10% every 30 minutes when browsing the internet or using pretty much any app. It shows on the battery usage that the app causing the battery drain is always the one I'm using such as Internet or Facebook which is normally around 50%.

The phone even loses a lot of battery life when idle as well so nothing seems to help.
Can anybody help me try and solve this issue? I really love the phone but I'm just not happy with this battery life , if I can't solve it then I'll have to go with another phone as I don't find this okay to work with. The speakers and built quality are fantastic, the sense UI is lovely but I really need to solve this issue. Thank you.

wormdood

Apr 20, 2010
blog.mattkurio.com
Re: Poor battery life

You may need to give it a few days for all the initial syncing to take place. Then it should improve.

Posted via the Android Central App

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

Whenever you get a new device it takes up to a week for the battery and your usage habits to get into sync. Then you will begin to see a bettery life improvement. A factory reset is not necessary. Just use your device as normal and don't worry about how quickly the battery is draining unless it's
reaching that 20% mark in which case, charge it up.

Jared Prest

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

Okay, thanks a lot.
I'll give it a week and I'll see how it goes, if I see any improvement then I'll stick with it.

Would you recommend draining it to 0% then charging it up?

Thanks a lot guys.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Okay, thanks a lot.
I'll give it a week and I'll see how it goes, if I see any improvement then I'll stick with it.

Would you recommend draining it to 0% then charging it up?

Thanks a lot guys.

No, never do that.
First off, it's better to drain it to like 40-60 and charge it up to a hundred than it is to drain it all the way down
And second, NEVER let your phone die. It is horrible for the batter.

And last, 10 percent every 30 minutes doesn't seem that bad, could you post some stats?

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

No, never do that.
First off, it's better to drain it to like 40-60 and charge it up to a hundred than it is to drain it all the way down
And second, NEVER let your phone die. It is horrible for the batter.

And last, 10 percent every 30 minutes doesn't seem that bad, could you post some stats?

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5

I don't know about 60 percent or it would always be on the charger. However these types of batteries recommend drainage to 20% then recharge. Ten percent would be the lowest I would go based on the availability of a charger being present. But agreed never drain to zero if it can be avoided.

Jared Prest

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

unfortunately I cannot post any stats as I need 10 posts to paste links. I cannot upload the file fdirectly either for some reason.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

I do wish the M8 had better battery life, but for only a 2600mah battery I think it does pretty well. I get about the same battery life as I had on my LG G2. Something to remember is that of course your battery will drain faster when doing data intensive activities like web browsing. A 10% drain every 30 minutes will result in about a 5hr screen-on time. That isn't spectacular, but it isn't bad either. If you're going through long periods of not using the phone you could always throw it in extreme power saving mode to save on battery when idle.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

If you're not already using a battery monitor like gsam download it, and use it to find out what else may be playing a factor. You should look to see if any apps that you don't use are running in the background. You should also change your sync settings, as your phone may be syncing when you don't need it to. Check your location setting, and switch it to battery saver, disable GPS and Bluetooth when not using them.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

You're joking, right? That's completely dead in 3 hours. That's terrible.

To those suggesting you should change your sync settings, I disagree. A battery should do much better than this with sync settings set however you want them.

To those that mentioned the new phone syncing up for the first time, maybe, but I think that's partially BS.

Here's my M8 story. The battery life was terrible from then start and only got worse. Not impressive at all. I don't know stats, because I always have a charger nearby. But there is no way I'd make it through a day. Something was obviously wrong. Phone was also laggy and slow all the time. And super hot. Something was obviously wrong.

I did a full factory reset and reloaded all my accounts and apps. I readded every app. Didn't leave any out. But since the factory reset, the phone is lightening fast and the battery lasts all day. It was NOT worse right after the reload, so that's why I say the initial syncing thing is a total load of BS. So try a complete factory reset. I don't know what it was, but something was burning up the battery and CPU, and now it's fixed.

Jared Prest

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the information.
I'll back everything up and try a factory reset.
I will admit though, it does seem to be better, 5% every 30 minutes but it's still not great.

I'll post back tomorrow and see how things go.

cj2566

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Disable blinkfeed. Use Apex, Nova, or another third party browser. Kill HIGH ACCURACY gps, use device only or battery saving. Google services may also be a factor. Kill it too.
I have a Verizon M8 and my battery life is better than my old G2 and even up with a Note 3.
For reference, I have 3 email accounts, weather app, Facebook and messenger, Friendcaster contact sync, Dropbox, HTC account, several YouTube videos, 70-80 mms/texts daily, Twitter, Tapatalk, and [redacted] downloads. From 5am to 11:30pm I'm usually left with around 40% before bedtime charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jared Prest

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, I wish I had a battery like that.

I'm using Firefox now, I've just done a factory reset and it doesn't help. I did it when I was on 70% and now I'm on 61%.

How do I disable BlinkFeed and Google services? I think those are the main problems.

cj2566

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Open settings, apps, find blinkfeed and force close it. It should have the "disable" tab top right. Make sure you check your location settings for GPS usage.
I am s-off, not that that should make a huge difference, but it does give greater control over what's actually using battery.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

Open settings, apps, find blinkfeed and force close it. It should have the "disable" tab top right. Make sure you check your location settings for GPS usage.
I am s-off, not that that should make a huge difference, but it does give greater control over what's actually using battery.

Your suggestions are absurd. Why not suggest he simply turn off the phone? That would save battery power too.

5% ever 30 minutes isn't bad. That's 10 hours. Not bad for moderate use. I wouldn't expect more than that unless you start doing ridiculous things like turning off Google Services, in which case, you might as well get a flip phone.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, I wish I had a battery like that.

I'm using Firefox now, I've just done a factory reset and it doesn't help. I did it when I was on 70% and now I'm on 61%.

How do I disable BlinkFeed and Google services? I think those are the main problems.

Do I g a factory reset and then setting up your phone from scratch will burn power. 9% isn't bad. I'm beginning to think your expectations are unreasonable.

cj2566

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Your suggestions are absurd. Why not suggest he simply turn off the phone? That would save battery power too.

5% ever 30 minutes isn't bad. That's 10 hours. Not bad for moderate use. I wouldn't expect more than that unless you start doing ridiculous things like turning off Google Services, in which case, you might as well get a flip phone.

How are they absurd? Do you have GPS on all the time when not in use?

What are your suggestions, other than negative nonsense?
Do you even use an M8 and know what you're talking about?
I'm not saying disable GOOGLE just the power draining Google location tracking and high power use settings.
Get a clue man.

uploadfromtaptalk1412380455708.jpg

Sent from my Glamor Red M8