My touch screen is behaving randomly as if it was completely uncallibrated, is this something I can fix?

Alex Young4

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Touch screen behaving randomly as if it was completely uncallibrated.

Hi,
I recently purchased a HTC One (M8) and i'm very happy with it. However, less than a week ago it started developing a problem where the touch screen developed a random behavior. It's hard to describe but in some cases I'd attempt to swipe and it would only half-heartedly or sometimes when typing, I go to hit a letter and one will be hit half way across the screen. I have tried re-callibrating but to no avail. Rebooting the device was a temporary fix (for about a day) but now texting and other functions has become near-impossible.

Has anyone else experienced this? My phone is less than a month old and I don't find this acceptable. Any advice would be hugely,hugely appreciated!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Touch screen behaving randomly as if it was completely uncallibrated.

Is the air dry where you are, or having a lot of static discharge when touching a door knob and such? I've had symptoms like yours with my last phone, even sometimes acting like the screen is being touched/swiped when nothing is touching it. It seemed to happen mostly in winter when the air is drier here. Haven't got that point to know if it'll affect the M8 too. I've also seen damaged USB cables cause this too by somehow introducing electrical noise into the phone.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

I had a similar problem with an LG G2. It developed a dead spot, which caused problems. LG replaced the device and all is well.

Alex Young4

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestions! Humidity is fairly high where I live and I haven't experienced any static discharge to my knowledge. The USB sounds like a sound suggestion but i'd be surprised as i'm using a new charger that came with the phone.
I've just chatted to the guys I bought it from and i'm still under my 28 day return period so i'm thinking I may just swap it? Sounds very wasteful but from what I can gather this is no common problem...

Alex Young4

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site

I just performed a test with my phone and tried using it for everyday functions while plugged in to the charger and then again without. I completely forgot I had done so, but I was actually using a temporary charger which is one of these multi-port things with a cable for iphone and a few others (because I misplaced the original one). I think you actually hit the nail on the head Mooncat, I'm fairly sure it's an effect of the charger Maybe all these extra ports generate some sort of feedback?. I'll do some further tests with the original and see if it stops.
Thank you again!!!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

I have the exact same problem you described but only when my device is connected to the charger. As soon as I plug it out, everything goes back to normal. I am not using the original charger that came in the box, I am using my old M7's charger. It is not directly connected to the wall, however, but connected to a multiport or whatever it is called. I might try using the original charger and connecting it to the wall and seeing if the problem persists. Right now I am at least 90% sure it is the charger since it only behaves like that when it is plugged in, but I cannot determine whether it's the chargers I have used, the multiport, or the electricity in my house being unstable in general.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy