How do I COMPLETELY format my M8?

pointman

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
hi everyone. Googled, and searched the forum. I am about to send back my old phone that was replaced under warranty but want to make sure its fully formatted first. I did the hard reset of holding the volume down key and power together. But even on HTC's site it says that may not format all personal info.

Any insight is really appreciated. Thanks.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From what I've heard, the thing to do is encrypt your phone in the settings and then do a factory reset. It's not feasible to truly wipe the storage space, and a factory reset by itself only deletes the "flags" that point to the files but not the data itself. That's why it may still be possible to recover your data afterwards.

By encrypting first, the data can theoretically only be accessed if you have the key. When you factory reset after, the key information is erased. While the data is still there, it's in its encrypted state and useless because there's no key anymore.

I haven't personally tried this because I haven't needed to, it's just what most people say to do. I think some claim it's Google's official recommendation any time you're giving up an Android device.

pointman

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
From what I've heard, the thing to do is encrypt your phone in the settings and then do a factory reset. It's not feasible to truly wipe the storage space, and a factory reset by itself only deletes the "flags" that point to the files but not the data itself. That's why it may still be possible to recover your data afterwards.

By encrypting first, the data can theoretically only be accessed if you have the key. When you factory reset after, the key information is erased. While the data is still there, it's in its encrypted state and useless because there's no key anymore.

I haven't personally tried this because I haven't needed to, it's just what most people say to do. I think some claim it's Google's official recommendation any time you're giving up an Android device.

Awesome awesome awesome information! Thanks so much. I am going to do that now, well as soon as my phones battery reaches the required 80% charge. I think that will more than suffice. Nothing too crazy on my phone, but the feeling of a stranger looking through my personal info is just weird.

Thanks again!

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
hi everyone. Googled, and searched the forum. I am about to send back my old phone that was replaced under warranty but want to make sure its fully formatted first. I did the hard reset of holding the volume down key and power together. But even on HTC's site it says that may not format all personal info.

Any insight is really appreciated. Thanks.

If you do a full factory reset, pulling out the SD card first, the phone is wiped to the point it was when you pulled it out of the box. Pull out the SIM card and send it back.....