what's wrong with my phone?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I am not able to view your video at this time, however from your description it sounds like a resource thing. Too many things using your memory. This could be cache build up, or items being displayed, or apps open. The simplest thing to do first is to restart the phone. Most apps dump caches at power down or on startup and this could be just what you need to pep up your phone. I wouldn't use the restart option I would simply power it down and give it a few moments to completely power down, and then start back up. If you try this and it works then you begin to notice over time that it is still occurring you may want to try a manual cache clean. There are apps for this and while some may be good or at least OK you can do this your self and it won't take long, and you won't get any ads or other junk some of these apps bring. Go to Settings>Apps>All and begin scrolling down the list stopping at your email app, Facebook, your SMS app, Hangouts, any other app that jumps out at you as one you think may be holding on to it's cache. Those for sure others if the mood strikes you. Do the cache clear option for each of them, and then restart the phone same as before. If this works for you and you begin to notice it creeping back more drastic measures should be taken beginning with the SMS app. We all get a hundred texts a day and probably only delete three. Over time, more with the stock messaging apps, i.e. Hangouts, and Messages, a build up of messages can slow down your device, causing the lag you've noticed typing and a lag in messages being sent. It likely affects other apps maybe not as noticeably. Backing up messages that you want to keep and deleting them from the app, especially MMS messages, will free up a lot of the memory being used to display them and make them quickly available. Also if you are using the stock apps for Messaging and find that this works to reduce the lag, you may want to consider a third party app. Most handle caches better than the stock app and may also handle the display side better. Just food for thought, if this turns out to be something that works or applies to you.

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your input, although i have gone down the cache clearing road before. Even did the system cache a few times. In addition, i dont use facebook, or any other social media apps, and my texts are set to autodelete after a certain amount, i think 500 per thread. (Not sure if that works as well as i think it does, but i'll go in and manually delete some old threads, see if that helps.)

Edit: i had another thread about swype lagging, and it occurred to me i didn't try to switch keyboards when this happened. If my phone starts doing it again i'll try that. I just really hope swype isn't the culprit, since i swear by it, and dont like any other one i've tried.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah on occasion I've noticed Swype lagging also, and like you I swear by it. It's such a rare event for me that I don't pay it much attention. Post back if switching keyboards changes anything, although I change keyboards a little for emoji since that's the one thing Swype kind of lacks. So maybe I would notice it more if not for that.

GL

Posted via Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I too can't watch the video right now (maybe later, though), but I've also had Swype lagging sometimes. A reboot usually fixes things. I suspect it sometimes lags the entire phone because any time that happens, using Swype would get unbearable first. I've tried to force close Swype in the app manager, which locks up the phone until it soft reboots. It seems Swype has a tendency to sometimes rack up the data amount until you reboot, and I haven't been able to get it reduced without wiping all my data unless I reboot.

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Something that I noticed is that I was having a more difficult time with lag when trying to send messages to people that I text a lot. I deleted the prior text messages and I was back to lag free.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Something that I noticed is that I was having a more difficult time with lag when trying to send messages to people that I text a lot. I deleted the prior text messages and I was back to lag free.

This happened to me as well.

I downloaded the hello messaging app and have not had this issue since.

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
404 on your dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvlkap4nbzbawd1/IMG_0615.mp4?dl=0

That should work, not sure where it went first time around.

Its not about having too many messages in the thread, cause its more than just the messages. There are times i'll hit the home button, and the little circular animation that pops up when u hit just stays on the screen, and it takes about 15 seconds to go to the home screen. It was doing it this morning on the train, and i checked processor stats in developer options, and swype was running 100% (not sure what the 100% means,) with average and max ram usage of 145mb. I force stopped swype, and my phone bricked for a few minutes, then when it restarted i put on google keyboard and its running fine. I hate using other keyboards, but i'm going to do it for the day and see if my phone acts properly. (The problem is, even with swype, the slowdowns are few and far between.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, Swype released an update to their paid version a few days ago. Up until this morning when I had to reboot due to an unrelated issue, I don't think it or my phone lagged any. There was the always ambiguous "bug fixes" with the update, so maybe they caught this one finally. It's still too soon to say for sure the problem was fixed for me, so here's to crossed fingers.

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, Swype released an update to their paid version a few days ago. Up until this morning when I had to reboot due to an unrelated issue, I don't think it or my phone lagged any. There was the always ambiguous "bug fixes" with the update, so maybe they caught this one finally. It's still too soon for me to say for sure the problem was fixed for me, so here's to crossed fingers.

Lets hope, downloading it now. Not sure why i didnt know there was an update. Thanks for the heads up, even if it doesn't fix the issue.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Still no lag for me that I can tell. Maybe a hiccup or two here and there, but nothing on going and requiring a reboot. I was also able to force close the Swype app and it didn't lock up my phone. It took several seconds to complete, but no need to soft reboot. So I think they may have got that bug squashed.