How do I separate different categories of photos and videos?

Fleecey

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Transferring & sorting videos & photos

Just got a M8 phone - brilliant

Ripped a few movies and put them in the gallery folder as couldn't find a video/movie folder
Trouble is they show as icons with no title to identify which movie is which.
I created a movie folder put the movies still showed in gallery folder. Would like to see them as a list of titles.

How do I separate different categories of photos & videos?
Local phone store suggested I download VLC media player which I did. Not sure what to do next.
Annoying for what should be such a simple thing.

Other confusing thing is the 128GB sandisk SD card has folders
nero syn
albums
android
DCIM
mobile - containing gallery & music but not video
my documents

Also, can anyone recommend a decent folder locking free program

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Transferring & sorting videos & photos

Welcome to Android Central! Gallery apps will display any photos or videos in any folder in the storage areas, as long as there isn't a ".nomedia" file in that folder. So you can save videos anywhere you want. It would make the most sense to save them in the /storage/sdcard0/Movies folder, which I think is a standard directory. The Gallery app should display those videos under a separate folder called Movies. Or you could create your own directory (with a file manager app), like "My Videos," and videos placed in that directory would show up in the Gallery under the folder called "My Videos."

I just tried this on my Nexus 5 (using the Photos app, since Lollipop got rid of the stock Gallery app), and it worked fine. Although it's useful to note I took a short video, then moved it from the /DCIM/Camera folder to the Movies folder. When I immediately checked the Photos app for the Movies folder, it didn't show up--this is because the system's Media Scanner hadn't rescanned folders for new photos or videos yet. When I rebooted, the Movies folder then showed up in the Photos app. I think that if I waited a while without rebooting, it also would have happened.

AppLock is a pretty popular app/file-locking app.

Fleecey

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the reply.
I made an album called Movies on my phone and moved several movies (that were on SD card) into that album (which I thought was also on the SD card)..
I then found out it had made that album and I'd moved movies from SD card to phone's internal storage - which was then almost all used up.
This is confusing and annoying.
I then deleted everything to start afresh but there is still something using up phone memory.

With my old Blackberry it was so easy to do this through windows explorer. Create a folder and move files in and I could view them through
Windows Explorer and on the phone.

1) Which Gallery App do you recommend?
2) Can app lock lock a folder? Tried folder lock but had choose photos to lock into the app so was doubling up photos

Thanks Craig

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

QuickPic is an excellent gallery app, so give that a try.

Remember that it isn't the gallery app that matters, but rather what directory you have the images or videos in. You need to be conscious of where your directories are, so use a good file manager app like ES File Explorer or Total Commander.

I don't know if AppLock can lock a folder, since I've never used it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox