Given the battery will inevitably die, wat do you guys plan on doing with your M8 after you upgrade?

mindfulness

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just got an M8 (1 cent at Target!) but am having second thoughts since I like to be able to use my devices as long as I want even after I replace it since it can still function as a wifi and media device. I hate the fact the battery is not easily replaceable as that gives the M8 a built in expiration date. I've seen the DIY instructions and there's just no way I'm going to try it as I look forward to doing that as much as I do disassembling and reassembling my car's motor.

So do you guys just plan to sell the M8 after you get your next new phone? Or are you going to DIY and change the battery yourself or pay someone else to do it?

BTW just to gauge how much cell phone repair places would charge, I called a few and asked how much replacing the battery on a M7 would be. About 70% of the ones I called said they wouldn't do it due to the risk involved, for the ones that would I was quoted $80-$100 parts and labor. The fact that guys who repair phones for a living don't want to try it is enough to scare me off from DIYing it.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's one reason for not buying a phone without an easily field-replaceable battery. If the M8 had a pop-off back and pop-out battery, it would be almost the ideal phone for me - no voiding the warranty just because it's rooted.

Replacing the battery isn't that bad a job if you've opened cellphones before - it's just one plug - and it's about $20 for the battery. But try replacing it when you're walking down the street and notice that your battery is getting a bit low and you should swap in the spare.

But if, at some time in the future, someone wants to sell a working M8 with a totally dead battery for $50 or so, I'm game.

mindfulness

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess it's just an inherent problem with metal phones? If Samsung manages to make the battery easily user replaceable on their upcoming metal phones, I'll be impressed.

jimnyo

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
i have had htc phones for forever and love them. my last one was an evo 4g lte and it lasted me 2.5 years. i can't remember if i had the battery die on me, but if i did, i have equipment replacement or whatever that warranty thing is on sprint's plan is called so they just gave me a "new" one. i just got the e8 and LOVE it and i'm keeping the old one as an ipod like device for the kids b/c the wifi on it still works.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure yet what I'll do, but in the mean time I'm doing what I can to prolong the life of the battery. Namely plugging in at around 40% and unplugging once full since running lithiums down completely and leaving them fully charged are two big things that will kill then early.

Hopefully by the time it needs replacing, it'll either be cheaper as people have got better at it, or I'll have replaced the phone already.

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
It'll become a music player. I can only hope that any future phone has as good audio output as this one

Posted via the Android Central App

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My HTC Evo 4 G LTE's battery was still strong after 2 years of service. I have an original iPod touch that is 7+ years old and it's battery is still strong. Theres still a lot of old iPhones still being used with original bateries.. As strong as the M8's battery is, I'm guessing most will be fine for many years to come.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2