Force Stop

MatthewGavin

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
What does Force Stop do? If I click force stop, does that stop the app from running in the background? I wanted to stop some of my apps from running in the background to try to conserve battery life. When I click on it, a message comes up that says the app may misbehave. What does that mean? Is it a bad thing?

Raymond Elliott

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it stops the app from running in the background. I had an app that was persistent; it would re-start itself even after I force stopped it. I installed Greenify (which will identify any apps running) and use it to prevent that app from re-starting until I do it manually. Then, after about 15 minutes of screen off time, Greenify will again force stop automatically. This works without root.

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Force Stop will terminate the app process, it should no longer be running unless you open it, but if the app has the ability to run in the background, then it may restarts it self automatically, and that will slow your device and consume more energy.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A force stop will close the app, but you generally don't want to do that unless there's an apparent problem with it. With most apps, they go dormant once in the background. Basically memory on our phones requires the same amount of battery power whether it's used or not. It uses less power to recall a dormant app from memory than to initialize it from scratch, hence the "free memory is wasted memory" phrase. Android already manages this well without any help, and memory managers or trying to beat the system yourself can actually hurt battery life.

There are exceptions where apps still work as intended in the background and occasionally use some power. I.e. mail, messenger, weather, and other apps designed to sync every so often or give you notices. Those would eat up a little battery power, but force closing them should be a last resort. First check to see if there's a way to limit background usage in the app's settings or limit/stop sync activities. By force closing, you're not changing the app's behavior and the OS could initialize it again (because it's designed to keep memory full) without you knowing and it'd go back to doing its thing again. If you absolutely have to force close an app, you may as well disable it too, which freezes the app so it will never start again until you re-enable it from the app settings screen.

MarLa Salagantin

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
yes I feel the same way I hate it when it backs again after a few minutes I force stop google play music and it does bother to me coz its an active app.. why this happened ? can any one help me ?

MarLa Salagantin

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
yeah right its consume battery my problem is My google play music is always an active app whenever I stop it its restart itself after a few minutes and I keep forcing to stop it..why this happen can you help me to fix it ?

MarLa Salagantin

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi there is it okay to force stop an app? coz Im really curious with this problem which is always running in the background like google play music I keep forcing to stop it after a few minutes its restart itself why this happened? do you have any idea? can you help me to solve this problem ?

saranghae kpop

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
A force stop will close the app, but you generally don't want to do that unless there's an apparent problem with it. With most apps, they go dormant once in the background. Basically memory on our phones requires the same amount of battery power whether it's used or not. It uses less power to recall a dormant app from memory than to initialize it from scratch, hence the "free memory is wasted memory" phrase. Android already manages this well without any help, and memory managers or trying to beat the system yourself can actually hurt battery life.

There are exceptions where apps still work as intended in the background and occasionally use some power. I.e. mail, messenger, weather, and other apps designed to sync every so often or give you notices. Those would eat up a little battery power, but force closing them should be a last resort. First check to see if there's a way to limit background usage in the app's settings or limit/stop sync activities. By force closing, you're not changing the app's behavior and the OS could initialize it again (because it's designed to keep memory full) without you knowing and it'd go back to doing its thing again. If you absolutely have to force close an app, you may as well disable it too, which freezes the app so it will never start again until you re-enable it from the app settings screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2