HTC One (M8) Possible to change camera shutter sound?

Arcsy

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

By default, the HTC One M8 has this slight tick sound when taking photos on the stock camera app, but I'm wondering if it's possible to change that sound to something of my own?

My phone is rooted so I can access to some of the system files if there's a need to replace, but I don't know exactly which one or if it's even safe to do so.

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah you should be able to swap out the sound file if your rooted. Go into /system/media/ and depending on the setup by HTC, it may or may not have a system/media/ui folder and in there you should see something related to the camera like " camera_click", etc.

I would just make a copy of the original and rename it to something like " original_camera_click" or just change the extension to " .bak " to save it in that directory so you can restore it if need be.

Arcsy

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi and thanks for the response!

I tried what you did and I did found the ui folder and it has the camera_click.ogg in it. I tried to listen to it first and it was different compared to the shutter sound when I'm taking a shot of my camera. Still, I end up changing it with an ogg file of my own but when I tried to take a shot, it was still just using a ticking sound. It might be a different sound if that's the case but what do you think it should be?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi and thanks for the response!

I tried what you did and I did found the ui folder and it has the camera_click.ogg in it. I tried to listen to it first and it was different compared to the shutter sound when I'm taking a shot of my camera. Still, I end up changing it with an ogg file of my own but when I tried to take a shot, it was still just using a ticking sound. It might be a different sound if that's the case but what do you think it should be?
I would continue to look in the media folders. It is possible that the camera click is located in the HTC camera app which in that case it may have to be decompiled and recompiled to swap out from an APK

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Just dropping-by to say that I actually like the default sound, as it feels like cracking something crisp.

Any way, from what I found I think that you need to change your sound file permissions to be [ rw r r ] in order for it to work.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Arcsy

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I actually like it too especially when I'm taking burst shots. Well, I'm a fan of the Fatal Frame games and thought it would be wonderful if I could use its shutter sound on my phone too. :p

I tried changing the sound file permission too but it's still the same. I think it might be using a different file other than the camera_click.ogg because it sounded different than the crisp sound.

Arcsy

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I would continue to look in the media folders. It is possible that the camera click is located in the HTC camera app which in that case it may have to be decompiled and recompiled to swap out from an APK

Thank you and I apologize that I only saw this response until now.
I did look at the other files in the media folder but the other .ogg files there were not playable on my computer but I'm guessing that one of them is the click sound that I want to replace.

I'm not familiar about on decompiling and recompiling APKs so I think this is way too much of a hassle. I still appreciate the help though! :)