Just Bought a New Phone - Any Good Apps?

JasonT97

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I recently got a HTC One M8 and I switched over from Apple. I'm new to Android so I was wondering could anyone tell me some good apps specifically good for Android Phones?

Thanks

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What kind of apps are you interested in? There's thousands of good apps out there, and a good number that were available on iPhone are also on Android if you want that familiarity.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a big app downloader, I usually have maybe 2 games downloaded at any time. Here's just a couple of apps that I always keep on my phone, or if I get a new phone I make sure I download them straight away:

1) Afterlight - photo editing
2) Android Central - obviously :)
3) Google Calendar
4) Google Keyboard
5) Leo's fortune - current game
6) Minimal wallpapers
7) PS Touch - Photoshop
8) Timely - alarm alternative
9) VSCO Cam - photo editing

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Considering you are coming from an iPhone. Make the transition smoother by installing Smoothsync for contacts and calenders. That way you keep your icloud account and sync everything easily.

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Apps I use daily:
VSCO
Muzei (live wallpaper)
Action Launcher
Snapseed
Sleep as Android (alarm clock)
Dashclock
Pocket Casts
Accuweather
SwiftKey
GSAM battery monitor

Posted via the Android Central App

ironkhalid

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Zedge!
It's app with hundreds of thousands of wallpapers and notification tones and ringtones
Something I know was difficult to achieve on iPhone

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
IMHO, I'd stick with the apps that are preinstalled on your phone first before trying an alternate. For example, use the native texting app before experimenting with others. Stick with the HTC camera software.
The apps installed by HTC are designed to work with your M8. Other apps have to be designed to work with most other phones and could have quirks that are not fully compatible with your phone or your software version.
Then, if you want to try other apps, play it safe and only get apps from the Google Play Store.
Read the reviews carefully for each app and avoid any app rated less than 4
Check the reviews that were written after the latest update for the app (newest), for your phone.
Then do a Google search and look for reviews of that app in places other than the Play Store.
Good Luck!