Can I stop the lollipop update before it happens?

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Lollipop has been so bad on my Moto X I would like to stop the upgrade on the M8. Is there a way to stop it so I don't get the nag screen (when the update starts to get pushed out)?

Thanks.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
No way other than refusing it forever. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with it on your Moto X, but a bad expirence on one phone with software doesn't mean any other phone will have the same problems.

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
My wife's Nexus 5 has lollipop. She has issues with it almost daily. Slowness, crashing, issues with the lock screen, torch etc..

And thats on googles own device!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't a fan of Lollipop at first but it grew on me. SkyDragons GPE made me actually fully convert my M8 to GPE and I'm totally loving it. Maybe you should try it on the M8 before doing so.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Alternating between both on a daily basis, I prefer Lollipop over Sense 6

Posted via the Android Central App
Umm, Lollipop is an operation system, while Sense 6 is just a launcher, so you can't really compare them.

With that being said, HTC is using Sense 6 as the default launcher for KitKat on their smartphones.

So there is a chance that HTC will develop a new version of Sense and use it as the default launcher for Lollipop.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your responses. To clarify, I don't have any problem with the way lollipop looks. It's just that on my pure edition Moto X things are crashing about 20% of the time. This is after having the phone for 4 days. My HTC One M8 has never crashed in about a month and a half of use.

The other problem I have that is a show stopper for me is that there is no local address book on the Moto X PE. Every address gets sent back to google. I don't want them to have many of my contacts.

On the M8 at&t edition there is a local addy book. I'm not sure if that will go away if I update to lollipop.

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Umm, Lollipop is an operation system, while Sense 6 is just a launcher, so you can't really compare them.

With that being said, HTC is using Sense 6 as the default launcher for KitKat on their smartphones.

So there is a chance that HTC will develop a new version of Sense and use it as the default launcher for Lollipop.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Actually BlinkFeed is the launcher (which I don't even use)

Sense is the skin that HTC puts over android, in this case Sense 6 over Kitkat

Compare the HTC settings menu to stock 4.4.4 and you might start to get a clue

As I said, I prefer STOCK Lollipop to Sense 6 skinned Android 4.4.4

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Actually BlinkFeed is the launcher (which I don't even use)

Sense is the skin that HTC puts over android, in this case Sense 6 over Kitkat

Compare the HTC settings menu to stock 4.4.4 and you might start to get a clue

As I said, I prefer STOCK Lollipop to Sense 6 skinned Android 4.4.4

BlinkFeed is just an app that show you feeds about whatever you want, it is not the launcher.

Theme/Skin/Launcher, all are basically the same thing with minor difference, but they all has one main purpose, and that is to change the default appearance of an operation system.

Any way, back to topic, OP, I don't think that your M8 will automatically update, it can automatically download the update, but it doesn't install the update until you authorize it.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Blinkfeed is a launcher. To prove my point try clearing data on the app settings menu. You will find out the hard way like I did.

Sent from my HTC One M8

staticK78

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
BlinkFeed is indeed an app. It can be disabled. Sense is the launcher that runs on top of android. You will never get a sense update in Google play, but you will get BlinkFeed updates...because it's an app.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Blinkfeed is an app and is the default launcher. Install another launcher of your choice and it'll ask if you want to use that or the Blinkfeed launcher when you press the home button until you set a default.

As for OTA updates, it may depend on your carrier. I've seen instances where it'll only let you delay an install for so long before just doing it on its own. In those cases, rooting is about the only option to let you block an update for good.

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
BlinkFeed is indeed an app. It can be disabled. Sense is the launcher that runs on top of android. You will never get a sense update in Google play, but you will get BlinkFeed updates...because it's an app.

You don't make sense, pun intended. Disabling BF doesn't stop it from running. Many apps are launchers.
Go into settings & clear BF cache & data. You will be amazed at what happens.

Sent from my HTC One M8

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad some others who know what they're talking about are here.

Blinkfeed is a launcher, just like Nova, Google Now Launcher, Apex, Action Launcher etc.

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Blinkfeed is an app and is the default launcher. Install another launcher of your choice and it'll ask if you want to use that or the Blinkfeed launcher when you press the home button until you set a default.

As for OTA updates, it may depend on your carrier. I've seen instances where it'll only let you delay an install for so long before just doing it on its own. In those cases, rooting is about the only option to let you block an update for good.
The following is from HTC's website

( BlinkFeed is HTC's attempt at moving away from the traditional homescreens of old on Android phones and bringing users something that will make the HTC One (and other models in the range) a little more unique. )

In other words, it is an app that can only be used as a homescreen, and considering that launchers take control over everything in the device, it is normal that you will be given the choice to choose between the launcher homescreen or keep using BlinkFeed as the homescreen.

Sent from my HTC One M8

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
The following is from HTC's website

( BlinkFeed is HTC's attempt at moving away from the traditional homescreens of old on Android phones and bringing users something that will make the HTC One (and other models in the range) a little more unique. )

In other words, it is an app that can only be used as a homescreen, and considering that launchers take control over everything in the device, it is normal that you will be given the choice to choose between the launcher homescreen or keep using BlinkFeed as the homescreen.

Sent from my HTC One M8

If you install a new launcher, all it does is change your home screens and app drawer, nothing else.

Try it for yourself

infy77

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Sense is part of the HTC framework, it's not just a launcher or skin theme but it's the framework of the htc device. If Sense is just a launcher then it can be easily ported to any non htc device and have all the features/changes already. Sense has their own launcher but it's not a mere launcher on it own, it's different from touchwiz and GPE; each operate different battery management, cpu, RAM, display calibration etc modified by the OEM.

The only way to stop lollipop update notification is to force close it (you will have to do this each time you reboot).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888