HTC One M8 not charging

gregwolfman

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday my HTC One drained all its battery quicker than normal (it sometimes does this, not quite sure why). I put it on to charge at first, and it did so absolutely fine. I checked it after an hour on charge and it had gained no battery, but needed to use it so I took it off charge. The battery died soon after, so I put it back on charge, only to find that this wasn't working anymore. The screen remained blank and the phone dead. I looked up the issue and tried a soft reset, which briefly worked. When I tried to move the phone to charge at a different socket, it would no longer charge at all, and it still won't. I use the USB charger that came with the phone, and have tried multiple other chargers as well as getting all of the fluff out from inside the charging socket in the phone and none of it seems to be working.

Anyone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you say you've used multiple different chargers, do you mean different USB cables and wall plugs? Both of those components can fail or be defective. If you have tried replacing both components, then the problem may be with the phone's microUSB port. You'd probably have to send it back to HTC or bring it to a repair shop to have it fixed. Is it still under warranty?

Garvey2

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi Both,

I'm definitely having the same issue. Several days of bare minimum charging even when plugged directly via HTC charger and power saver etc. It would occasionally connect properly but usually state a low voltage. I checked through my apps and killed all but the bare minimum and it was still not charging properly.

I have also all of a sudden had my phone no longer even begin to charge and was about to send to HTC for repair when it suddenly started to charge. I am unsure if this will actually work so I'm not going to touch it at all and see if it will boot so I can get all my data.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

P.S. I've also heard of another person having the same issue. I hope this isn't a major issue :/

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi Both,

I'm definitely having the same issue. Several days of bare minimum charging even when plugged directly via HTC charger and power saver etc. It would occasionally connect properly but usually state a low voltage. I checked through my apps and killed all but the bare minimum and it was still not charging properly.

I have also all of a sudden had my phone no longer even begin to charge and was about to send to HTC for repair when it suddenly started to charge. I am unsure if this will actually work so I'm not going to touch it at all and see if it will boot so I can get all my data.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

P.S. I've also heard of another person having the same issue. I hope this isn't a major issue :/
Maybe pocket lint in the port? Get a can of compressed air and blow in it.

Garvey2

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Checked and cleaned out just in case (had the issue previously).

The cable didn't work earlier and then randomly began to work after plugging in for a last ditch attempt. I am leaving for a few hours to let it charge in case it doesn't work again and I'll need to back everything up.

Thanks though!

Garvey2

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Seems to be working now :)

I left it until it was 100% charged, I think it is still having a slow charge though and I'm unsure on the stability of it actually being able to charge.

Odds are I'll just back it up and take everything I need before sending for repair. The annoying thing is they'll no doubt damage it by opening it with the oven or give me an older one as a replacement (happened to a friend and her battery life went from 12 hours to 4).

Thanks for your help! If I get any updates I'll try and remember to come back :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you try different USB cables? Those are prone to going bad and may not be a problem with the phone itself.

Mandabear_00

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I have been having the same issue. Several weeks ago my phone started charging slowly or not at all and today is the second day I woke up to a blank phone that will not turn on or charge. It had a 30% charge when I went to bed last night and was on the charger all night. I have tried several different wall chargers and cables with no luck. Yesterday it took a few hours after I woke up to start charging and turn on, but so far today it is still not responding to anything :(

Gimpystinger

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
The battery may need to be re-calibrated. follow the steps below and you should be fine.
(I was having the exact same problem and this sorted it out just fine)
•Shut off the phone
•Plug the charger in and let it charge for ten minutes
•Hold down the power and the volume down button for two minutes while it boots back up
(you will get a white screen with root menu scripts in different colours, follow the directions and bingo!)

Hope this helps.

mbb2409

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Trying to help my son fix his htc m8 remotely, and he is having problems where it won't recharge. What should he do once he has the white screen with root menu scripts? Don't know what to do next.

Megan Richmond

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
This morning my phone did the same thing. I was able to clear the charge port first and switch cables, this did not work for me. I then removed the sim card, previous models had a similar problem. I held the power and down button for 1 minute while the phone was on the charger. Phone was able to charge and start up with no issues. Replaced the sim card and had a good day :)

Nick Hines

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: HTC One E8 not charging

Hello Everyone, I have an HTC One E8 and It was working well and I went on vacation and stuff,but a week or so after I got back, It started to not charge. I tried many other chargers some would charge it slow other would charge it like 4% in 10 hours. I've tried to calibrate it but it didn't work. I don't know what else to do and I'm pretty upset at the fact I might need to buy a new phone. Any help?

reokoloi

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay people, I read multiple posts about this problem because I was having the same issues. Tried all kinds of fixes posted and tried it for 3 weeks til I couldn't get it stay on long enough to try any more fixes. I farted around with it for that long because when you try the fixes, they seem like they are doing something, like when your battery charge percentage all of a sudden changes, but it's not meaningful. The problem is the charging port. Change that out and it will fix the problem. I live in Houston so we have a buttload of cell repair places clustered on Harwin and a few of them know how to do it on this phone. Mine cost $60, was quoted $30-$65 but went with my guy because I couldn't afford to drive all the way back to pick it up 4-5 hours later and I didn't want to risk sending it to HTC and them wiping out my data. Thank me later.

janowskib

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Same thing is happening with mine. Keep having to try to angle the USB cable (several tried along with different chargers) to get the mobile to charge.

Rang HTC and they confirmed it's the charging port and have agreed to repair as within 2 years guarantee.

It's caused by holding the mobile via charging, or using long USB cables. Both cause twisting of the charging port and loose / none connections.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

Cambridge - UK.

Last edited:

folaflow

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
HTC not charging: its probably because the charging port is burnt. when it burns, it gets the chip gets in the charging port rusty. this causes impartial contact between the chip and the charger, so it would appear like the phone is charging but it isn't.

Solution: you could spray a bit of perfume in the port to clear the rustyness off the chip and improve contact with the charger and get it charging again.
If this dosen't work you'll need to change the Flex.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
HTC not charging: its probably because the charging port is burnt. when it burns, it gets the chip gets in the charging port rusty. this causes impartial contact between the chip and the charger, so it would appear like the phone is charging but it isn't.

Solution: you could spray a bit of perfume in the port to clear the rustyness off the chip and improve contact with the charger and get it charging again.
If this dosen't work you'll need to change the Flex.
The charging ports don't get "burnt", and there is no chip in the port, and for god's sake don't spray anything in the port, except electronic contact cleaner, and I would do that very sparingly! They loose contact for a variety of reasons, mostly loose or broken connections. When this happens (and it happened to me..) it must be replaced. Sprint replaced my phone phone under warranty and since I back up all my stuff to HTC Backup automatically everyday and keep my photos, music and docs on my SD card, it takes about 10 minutes to restore the new phone, including apps......

Ana Pan

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Mine did the same thing this week. Did you get yours to work? I filed a complaint with the BBB against HTC and hope others are doing so as well. Its not a coincidence that so many charging ports are failing. Mine was 16 months of use and HTC refuses to fix under warranty, stating it is out of warranty and they will not budge.