Sprint HTC One M8 on T Mobile?

jlash87

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I didn't find any exact threads with my poor searching skills.

Basically here's the thing. I have an M8 h/k edition from Sprint. I know the phones can be SIM unlocked to use with any provider if you can get the unlock code, which I have.

Here's my first question; How decent will the service be for talk and text if I switch to T-Mobile? I need a basic explination as I'm not savvy savvy frequency talk.

Second; I've read posts saying my phone has to be rooted and S-Off to unlock and I've read it's as easy and popping in the SIM, punching in the 8 digit code, and your done. Has anyone done this successfully without rooting?

Sorry for the long post, if you made it this far you are truly a scholar and gentleman. (I'm weird I know.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I know the phones can be SIM unlocked to use with any provider if you can get the unlock code, which I have.
True.

Here's my first question; How decent will the service be for talk and text if I switch to T-Mobile? I need a basic explination as I'm not savvy savvy frequency talk.
No talk necessary. It'll work as well as a TMobile M8 at any given location. (How well a phone will work on a given carrier depends on how good that carrier's signal is at that location. The M8 GSM radios are the same in both versions.

Second; I've read posts saying my phone has to be rooted and S-Off to unlock and I've read it's as easy and popping in the SIM, punching in the 8 digit code, and your done. Has anyone done this successfully without rooting?
Don't have one, don't know, but I'm guessing it has nothing to do with S-Off. It definitely has nothing to do with rooting. With most phones, you put in the "foreign" SIM, it asks for the unlock code, you put it in (carefully - you have a limited number of tries) and it unlocks.

You forgot one question - data. Uh-uh. The Sprint version doesn't have the frequencies TMobile uses for data. So unless you only want voice and text, don't bother. Sell the phone and buy a T-Mobile version. (You can sell it on Swappa and buy another one there, and probably not pay too much difference in price. Quality caries - phones with obvious wear sell for less than phones that look new. But they're pretty careful - I've never heard of anyone getting something worse than what thy were told they would get. If the phone looks like it's been through the mill, the sellers there are pretty honest - "looks terrible, but works great" - that sort of thing. And you see the damage in the pictures in most listings. [Some people just can't take decent pictures, so you get "you can't really see the scratches, but they're there".])

BTW, better a long post now than a short one later saying "I spent the money and it doesn't work, so what do I do now?"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz