What am I doing wrong on ROM install M8?

shanedogg

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I have a GSM HTC one m8. It is rooted and S-on.
Updated to android 4.4.4 and software 3.34.631.4 and TWRP recovery.
I only have access to a mac, and am learning to use Terminal as I go with ADB and Fastboot.

I have tried on many occasions to install a custom rom, with no success. I've got nandroid backups, so I always get back to where I started.

I've downloaded Android Revolution HD for m8 directly, from my phones chrome browser, and then installed it from TWRP, after doing a full wipe. Every time it seems to install fine, and starts up from the beginning of the AR install, but the rom can't find either the network signal, or wifi, even tho they are both working on the stock rom, and once I restore back to stock.

I also downloaded (again from my phones browser) Viperone for m8. After doing a seemingly successful wipe and install, it gets stuck at the HTC start up screen. I can lock the screen, and reboot, but it stays stuck at that screen.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need S-off?
is it because I'm downloading the roms directly from my phone?
At this point I feel like giving up and sticking with stock.

Thanks,
Shane

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
S Off shouldn't be necessary at this stage for you. S OFF will only come into play if you wish to change your bootloader and do things like remove the Tampered tag and any signs of rooting if /when you restore to complete stock (unroot).

I would download your ROMs via computer to ensure that your getting a good download and no matter how you download do a MD5 check to make sure the file is good.

Otherwise it sounds like you maybe using incompatible ROMs for your exact model of M8

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is a specific bootloader version required to install the ROM? I have run into that a few times.

From an AOSP M8

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Double check the version of the ROM you are installing. Not all of them work with all M8s... often Verizon and Sprint stuff being the exceptions, but the forums at XDA can be confusing since all the M8s are M8s, but not all ROMs for M8s work with all M8s.

You could also be looking at a firmware problem, if you are trying to flash a lollipop rom without having upgraded the firmware, but it seems more likely you are not using a version for your M8.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've never really liked using ADB.

Use TWRP.

1. Copy the .zip file for the ROM to the phone's SD card (external, not internal).
2. Boot into bootloader
3. Select Recovery
4. From TWRP, select Install
5. Browse to the .zip file
6. Install
7. Done

First boot may take a long time (up to 10 minutes sometimes, depending on the ROM) but after that it should be good.

I'm running Blisspop, an early Lolipop ROM based on CM. It's not bad. I'm waiting for some Sense-based ROMs, though. I don't have EPS or even the regular power saver mode right now, but I am liking the Lolipop UI so far.

Personally, I don't like using command prompt/terminal for things (especially on a Mac...though I don't like Mac to begin with) so I find this way to be a lot easier and less confusing. As others have said, make sure your ROM will work for your version of the phone. I'm on VZW so some ROMs don't work, but there are plenty that are universal.

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Well Folks this G-S-5 is somewhat of a pain. This phone is cluttered like none other. Wow what is with needing to always turn off apps. Even send a text and there is a running app, BS Samsung This is my life. I almost took this thing back today. I miss my HTC Resound ! That was a good unit. Now I will try to stop the excessive RAM usage. Any Ideas ?

Altstart5

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi I am a novice but I have for the first time successfully rooted my phone. I reinstalled the stock rom but now wish to experiment with other roms. My phone has Kitkat4.4.3 os. If I change the rom will my phone update to 4.4.4. during this process?. Can anyone point me to a tutorial on changing a rom

Altstart5

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Double check the version of the ROM you are installing. Not all of them work with all M8s... often Verizon and Sprint stuff being the exceptions, but the forums at XDA can be confusing since all the M8s are M8s, but not all ROMs for M8s work with all M8s.

You could also be looking at a firmware problem, if you are trying to flash a lollipop rom without having upgraded the firmware, but it seems more likely you are not using a version for your M8.
Anyone know if Scots clean rom for verizon will work in my HTC One M8 International model?. The rom that used to be listed on his site for this phone is no longer listed.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi I am a novice but I have for the first time successfully rooted my phone. I reinstalled the stock rom but now wish to experiment with other roms. My phone has Kitkat4.4.3 os. If I change the rom will my phone update to 4.4.4. during this process?. Can anyone point me to a tutorial on changing a rom
It will update or downdate to the version of the ROM you put in it. The "version" is the version of the ROM. Every phone comes with a ROM. Every ROM has a version number. If you put in a 4.4.4 ROM, your phone will have a4.4.4 ROM. If you put in a 4.42 ROM, your phone will have a 4.4.2 ROM. 4.3 was the Jellybean Android version. (The OS is Linux, and it's not KitKat - KitKat is Android 4.4.x - any 4.4 ROM.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam