Kernel and Android System battery consumption

anon(9263092)

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I just got my new One M8 a few days ago and ran into some battery draining issue.
After charging the device (second charge if to be precise), I went to sleep with 99% battery while all apps are closed, Wi-Fi is turned off and Battery Saver wasn't on.
After 6.5~ hours, the battery was at 89%. In my opinion 10% drain overnight, during standby is a lot and that's why I'm a bit concerned.

Based on some recommendations, I installed GSam Battery Monitor, please see below results.
Do the results seem fine to you? I'm not really sure how to read them.
It looks like Kernel and Android System consumes 36% which is a lot.
Do you have any idea how to decrease the consumption and what causes the Kernel and Android System to consume 36%?

On that matter, it seems like the GSam consumes 5.8%. When I close the app, does it stop monitoring and consuming power or it works in the background and keeps sucking the battery?

Thanks.

unnamed.png

unnamed (1).png

anon(9263092)

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for replying.
I went over the 'Poor battery life - Kernel os sucking battery' thread and couldn't find any solutions for the problem, that's why I opened this thread. :)
Also, I'd like to know if the GSam results look fine to you because I'm not so sure they're OK.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
You just got the phone yesterday and you are already complaining about the battery life? How about you use it for a week and see if you get 5-6 hours of on screen time. If you get that your battery is fine. You haven't even giving it enough time to settle in.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9263092)

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
You just got the phone yesterday and you are already complaining about the battery life? How about you use it for a week and see if you get 5-6 hours of on screen time. If you get that your battery is fine. You haven't even giving it enough time to settle in.

Posted via the Android Central App

Actually I do get a fair number of hours of on screen time but I'm trying to understand what makes the 10% battery drain in standby.
Putting that aside, it is the best device I have ever had, it's amazing.

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for replying.
I went over the 'Poor battery life - Kernel os sucking battery' thread and couldn't find any solutions for the problem, that's why I opened this thread. :)
Also, I'd like to know if the GSam results look fine to you because I'm not so sure they're OK.

That's because there are no solutions yet. Hence why there is already a thread about trying to fix it.

Those gsam results are very similar to mine. The System and Kernel using the most battery.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
OP, I don't see any issues. How is everything going? Any improvements?

Let us know how everything is going. Since you just got the device, you are probably still setting things up and that's consuming more battery than normal. That doesn't explain your overnight usage, but that's not too much drain in my opinion.

Aside from that, how is the device running?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital