M8 Lollipop Update Received

Hvacmanjc

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Am I missing something? I waited this long for the official Lollipop on my unlocked M8, and have not noticed anything huge. Can someone tell me the major features because I don't see anything that really jumps out at me. Thanks

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The update to lollipop won't bring a ton of changes since we're still running sense 6. You should see universal lockacteen notifications (double tap to jump to app!), different notifications pull down, heads up notifications (I think, unless this isn't included) and card based recent apps.

I don't think it'll be faster since Sense is already pretty fast.

The bigger changes should come with Sense 7 and the release of the next One.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I like all the new animations. The navigation bar and the pull animations. Also, I like the keyboard switcher in the nav bar. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the recent apps screen. Kind of miss the 4.4 one. Status bar is a tons better though!

Posted via the Android Central App

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I like all the new animations. The navigation bar and the pull animations. Also, I like the keyboard switcher in the nav bar. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the recent apps screen. Kind of miss the 4.4 one. Status bar is a tons better though!

I thought you can toggle between Lollipop and Sense recents?

Raymond Elliott

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I find Lolypop to be really smooth; I have no complaints on performance.

I do, however, hate the lock screen notification system. It is not very customizable. I mean, who wants a card on the lock screen when using power saver? Only way to get rid of that card is to quit power saver. Ditto if you use a notification bar icon for temperature. Can't have only one.

The killer for me though, is that I used NiLS app for lock screen notifications and with Lollypop on Sense 6, NiLS is broken.

If I could, I'd roll back to 4.4.4.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
That's too bad you can't turn off lock screen notifications for specific apps. Have you tried going to the Power app in the App Info section to see if you can toggle it there?

I'm pretty sure you can do that on stock lollipop so it'd be weird if you couldn't.

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Anyone in UK / Ireland receive this updated on their sim free m8?

TJs11thPre

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I did. 4.4.4 seems best for my nexus 7 '12 model.

There's a few methods online, none straight forward. I kind of tried all of them at once and somehow got it to reinstall. So much better.

If I can do it, anyone can. G search it and give it a shot.

Hvacmanjc

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what Heads up is or Guest Mode but don't think it has either. I know its very sluggish running and locks up a bit. Also, since the update Google Play apps won't update. They go roughly 3/4 of the progress bar and then stop.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I find Lolypop to be really smooth; I have no complaints on performance.

I do, however, hate the lock screen notification system. It is not very customizable. I mean, who wants a card on the lock screen when using power saver? Only way to get rid of that card is to quit power saver. Ditto if you use a notification bar icon for temperature. Can't have only one.

The killer for me though, is that I used NiLS app for lock screen notifications and with Lollypop on Sense 6, NiLS is broken.

If I could, I'd roll back to 4.4.4.
Man, that sucks that it broke nils. Did they at least make default lock screen notifications openable in a reasonable way?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Nils is hardly needed any more with all the options for lock screen notifications. What does it do that you can't get with Sense?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Battery Life is WAY worse.

Down to maybe 18 hours. I could literally get 48 hours of light usage or 28 of normal usage before lollypop.

Also, a lot of the bloat ware I had turned off was turned back on, and I had to go and disable a Udove and Flexnet and ugly friends, There is also a new unexplained thing under Security called apps with usage access, which I turned off. (No information on this anywhere in google).

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Only got around to flashing it today, too soon to tell but I think I still prefer GPE Lollipop to this. I'll give it a week or so

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what Heads up is or Guest Mode but don't think it has either.

Heads up is a new notification system. It'll pop a large banner at the top of the screen that shows you your notification, which you can directly access via that banner. It is similar to many notification apps that have been around for a bit... PA's Hover, NotifierPro, etc.... The feature was actually in KitKat, buried and not fully working, but some ROMs flipped the switch.

Guest Mode is basically multiple user access. Click on your profile picture... add another user. They can log into their google account to download apps, etc... they get their own discrete user. And it can be easily removed once they are done. They had this on some Nexus devices with KitKat, but it was a bit buggy.

By the way.... The lockscreen is locked down. :) Google pulled pretty much every lockscreen modification, including widgets and 3rd Party access... so things like DashClock, Chronos, etc, can no long fuss with the LS. Guessing it was done for security reasons. I am not sure how much OEMs will be able to code around this, but they may not be able to (or not allowed to). To compensate, current apps can either replace the LS altogether, or work in the confines of a lockscreen notification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith