Replacement battery (external) charger

AceTT

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I bought a spare battery for my HTC One M8 as a back up (due to the original battery draining quickly).

I want to alternate between the two batteries, however I need an external battery charger for the batteries to charge whilst the other is in use. I went to a few mobile phone shops/electronics stores and they said to me that the HTC One m8 battery is unlike other htc/samsung batteries and that standard external battery chargers will not work (one of them said something about a charger with a "cord" - not sure exactly what that means).

I have also tried to search online and have found nothing thus far- onlly standard samsung ones. If somebody could please tell me if the htc one 8's battery is different and therefore if an external charger pack is different and where I could get one from.

Thank in advance

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The M8 has a non-replaceable (by the user) battery. That means that 1) you have to disassemble the phone a little to swap batteries and 2) The battery doesn't have terminals on it, it has a cable on it that plugs into the phone. Unless someone has come out with an M8 charger that I've missed, there's no charger for that kind of battery when it's outside the phone.

Your best bet is one of those external batteries that you plug into the microUSB jack to provide additional power. Look at Zerolemon - I've never used any of them, because I won't buy a phone without a replaceable battery, but a lot of people have bought their products and love them. (And they come in a wide range of power levels, from a little more than the internal battery to 10,000 mAh. (Or an Anker if you want 20,000 mAh.)

Konvicted Steven

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I bought a spare battery for my HTC One M8 as a back up (due to the original battery draining quickly).

I want to alternate between the two batteries, however I need an external battery charger for the batteries to charge whilst the other is in use. I went to a few mobile phone shops/electronics stores and they said to me that the HTC One m8 battery is unlike other htc/samsung batteries and that standard external battery chargers will not work (one of them said something about a charger with a "cord" - not sure exactly what that means).

I have also tried to search online and have found nothing thus far- onlly standard samsung ones. If somebody could please tell me if the htc one 8's battery is different and therefore if an external charger pack is different and where I could get one from.

Thank in advance

I advice for a power bank which is portable and it comes as a better backup if u r a gamer like me.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

Thank in advance
Have you changed the battery?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The problem with power banks/external battery packs is the market is flooded with cheap ones that don't deliver power fast enough. If you go that route, you need to make sure the charge rate is at least 1.5A (which is a separate rating then the mAh capacity rating). Otherwise you could loose charge on the phone faster than the external pack can deliver.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I picked up an Omaker on Amazon when it was on sale for like 16 dollars, darn thing puts out dual 2.1 amps. Charges my phone fast, takes a while to fully charge it, but it has charges 3 phones without taking it lower than 50% and is big.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I picked up an Omaker on Amazon when it was on sale for like 16 dollars, darn thing puts out dual 2.1 amps. Charges my phone fast, takes a while to fully charge it, but it has charges 3 phones without taking it lower than 50% and is big.
The OP isn't talking about using a booster, I don't think. He said he has two batteries and plans on swapping them out when needed, and charging the spare. I'm curious if he knows how difficult that really is, or even if he really has an M8? Seems strange to me...

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
The OP isn't talking about using a booster, I don't think. He said he has two batteries and plans on swapping them out when needed, and charging the spare. I'm curious if he knows how difficult that really is, or even if he really has an M8? Seems strange to me...
That's fine, I was replying to Mooncat, the post above mine. Next time I'll be sure to quote. Looking at a breakdown of an M8 changing the battery isn't a job for a novice, the reason I have a Power Bank.