which browser you use?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I use Chrome too because of integration with, well, all other Chromes. I can seamlessly go from one device to the next and not lose bookmarks, and can even open the same tabs I opened somewhere else.

But I've used Opera before and it's not too bad. Some people like Firefox, but I haven't used that in years (pretty much before Chrome and Opera came out).

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
On computer I prefer Firefox over any other browsers. Their Android version seems nice, but it is just too much. For a smartphone I need a simple smooth browser, which is why I use CM Browser on my M8

Sent from my HTC One M8

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Firefox. I've been using it on my laptop for years, and like chrome, it has the ability to sync across devices.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Chrome because it was all Verizon had installed. To get an AOSP based browser, I have to root. I do have dolphin for flash when needed, but otherwise I'm pretty much Chrome by default. I'm not a fan of the browser selections and wish mine had the simple "stock" browser.

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I use the stock browser because it is the only one I know of that has text reflow. When I zoom in, the text gets larger and reformatted. I haven't seen this on non-HTC phones.

Last edited:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I use the stock browser because it is the only one I know of that has text reflow. When I zoom it the text gets larger and reformatted. I haven't seen this on non-HTC phones.

This.
Every time I try a different phone I miss text reflow so much. When you browse a non mobile site it is indispensable.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This.
Every time I try a different phone I miss text reflow so much. When you browse a non mobile site it is indispensable.

I read somewhere that text reflow will become unavailable in Lollipop. Google already has moved away from it, and the report mentioned third party browsers had to still rely on a part of code in the OS to reflow text. It said that code has finally been removed with the OS starting with 5.0, meaning those browsers will have that feature broken. The article suggested it's part of a larger movement by Google to get sites to create more mobile friendly versions, including other things like giving mobile friendly sites priority in search listings.

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I have heard that Google is pushing for this as well. I hope it hasn't happened already. I guess we will find out when the M9 is released.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that text reflow will become unavailable in Lollipop. Google already has moved away from it, and the report mentioned third party browsers had to still rely on a part of code in the OS to reflow text. It said that code has finally been removed with the OS starting with 5.0, meaning those browsers will have that feature broken. The article suggested it's part of a larger movement by Google to get sites to create more mobile friendly versions, including other things like giving mobile friendly sites priority in search listings.

Are you saying that m8s that have lollipop don't have text reflow?
Omg, that is horrible!
First it was flash, then sd cards, now this!
What are we going to do once Google decides that touch screens is bad for our fingers?

After all, the problem with mobile sites is that they are no better then a full site when it comes to trying to read small type... Since you can't zoom in at all on a mobile site.

I guess I'm just going to have to figure out how to make phone calls on a nexus 9 since that will be the smallest screen I'll be able to read anything on a non mobile Web site. I also guess I'll have to relearn how to do the "left to right" thumb dance when reading online again. Lol

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
After all, the problem with mobile sites is that they are no better then a full site when it comes to trying to read small type... Since you can't zoom in at all on a mobile site.
Not to mention mobile sites often lack wanted features of their desktop counterparts.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

This is the worst idea google and android has ever had. I prefer using Desktop site on my mobile phone because 99% of the time, its better.
I have no idea why in the world google / android would want to get rid of the one feature that makes iPhone web browsing experience 10X better than android. Text reflow.
This is an idiotic move for android. It may push me back to a boring iPhone 6+
I would miss Widgets and being able to customize the screen but at least iPhone is ADDING features, not removing them one at a time.
Hell, before long looks like android could end up being a ****ty OS.
We all know that removing flash made everyone remake their web browser HTML5 friendly over night. .... (not)
Web sites will catch on to this missing feature in 2-3 years and then take another year to redesign the site for mobile friendly.

I use Android Central on Chrome browser using the Full Desktop version, way better than the app or mobile version.

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Regarding browsers - I've tried the stock Samsung 'Internet' browser for Jelly Bean, and began looking for something better ASAP. Used Dolphin for a few days before dumping it. Tried Opera next, it kept me happy for a week or so. All the while I'd occasionally use Chrome. I figure we pretty much have to trust Google, for example, when making a Play Store purchase. So I still use Chrome for financial transactions. But my most used and very favorite browser by far is Firefox, especially with a couple nice add-ons.

Regarding text re-flow - I'm running 5.0.2 Lollipop on my S4 Mini, and just now check'd out a bunch of different sites. None of them re-flow text, some don't even zoom in or out! Text re-flow is what made my old HTC Touch running Windows Mobile work with it's 2.8" screen. But it's really all okay because today's screens are big enough, the sites are actually quite easily readable. I just wish more of them would use white text on black background, much better for my nearly 70 year old eyes.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Uh huh. And the first time you want to simply move a file over from your phone to desktop or vice versa you will realize the error of your ways. iTunes is an abomination greater than reflow will ever be. iCloud is even a bigger joke. Android doesn't natively support flash but you can still use Dolphin browser for it. I'm sure a workaround from XDA guys will happen. Thats the benefit of open source.

samdvd

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
If have used various browsers and alternatives to chrome .Some being very lite ,But believe me when i say Chrome is the best there is ! Sometimes some flaws may occur with updates But still it's best from my perspective ..