Why has my battery life diminished since upgrading to Lollipop (M8)?

Baker1819

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Android lollipop battery and messenger app problem after the update on the m8

Hello

I'm having problems with my device right after I update to android 5 (lollipop). The messenger app freezes each time I send a message to someone and not just the app, the whole phone freezes I literally cant do anything on my phone not until the message gets sent. Battery life is also not that great when compared to its previous version 4.4.4. Any advice or help will be very much appreciated. Any work around we can use?

I'm very disappointed with the new update.

RzvN

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
re:

You and me both my friend. Disappointed is an understatement. The facebook app is also slow to but the messenger app is just pathetic. It freezes everytime I write a new word. And when I try to close the chat head, my whole phone freezes for 3-4 secs...

evansu

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
re:

No problem here with the battery, actually, on the contrary, my battery lasted longer than 4.4.4 Kitkat,

I don't use the default messenger by the way, I used the Google messenger for my messenging app.

Posted via the Android Central App

Whyareallthegoodnamestaken

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I had some major lagging problems with swiftkey and Facebook messenger since updating to lollipop. I uninstalled swiftkey and its been fine since. Perhaps your keyboard is the problem.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
re:

My phone was also going through battery much faster.
I could never really find out which app was using the battery.

I simply shut down, all the way to power off. Then Rebooted.
Problem solved. No reason to do Stock Recovery mentioned above.

alexblfc

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
re:

Same problem here. Everything else is fine, but the FB messenger app lags like crazy when you type text and send it. A good 4-5 seconds of lag before doing anything. The rest of the phone is smooth as hell. Same problem exists with Google's official keyboard and with HTC's Stock keyboard. Uninstalled and re-installed Messenger, rebooted my phone twice, wiped the cache partition in recovery and still, FB Messenger lags like a mother****er.

Sort it out please HTC/Facebook.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

My phone was also going through battery much faster.
I could never really find out which app was using the battery.

I simply shut down, all the way to power off. Then Rebooted.
Problem solved. No reason to do Stock Recovery mentioned above.

Agree, a reboot is always one of the first things to try. The cache wipe can be reserved for when a reboot doesn't help.

Simplicity432

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
re:

Yeah.. I've also have Htc M8 and after updating to android 5 my fb messenger is laging and not working.. Also some other of my friends got the same problem.. We should report this to Htc or something..

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
re:

Yeah.. I've also have Htc M8 and after updating to android 5 my fb messenger is laging and not working.. Also some other of my friends got the same problem.. We should report this to Htc or something..

Everyone complaining about lag is running Facebook. Shut it down, kill of the cached task as well. Or maybe reboot and don't launch Facebook upon power up.

Run without Any Facebook for a day. See if the phone laggs. If not, it's a Facebook problem, not an HTC problem.

Paul Florian

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

Hi.

I have the same problem with the worse battery life on 5.0.1 compared to 4.4.4. Wipe cache didn't help at all. It's more like an iPhone now. Great standby conservation, but huge drop when using the phone. I'm seriously considering taking the phone to the service and get it resofted with 4.4.4. It was pretty much the perfect phone with 4.4.4.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
re:

The more I hear about Lollipop the less I want it. I think I'll just wait for Sense 7 and whatever 5.0 build is out. Or get the M9 with it. Kit Kat is way to good on my phone right now to mess around with. New isn't always new and improved.

Simplicity432

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
re:

You are absolutely right.. With the 4.4 it was great.. Now its very very bad.. Can u downgrade it to 4.4? ..if its possible ill do it without thinking.. Everything worked superb.. Also ive want it to ask you.. In the menu in security.. Do you have option to turn off or on what to show on the home screen.. Cause that option is gone now..now mails, calendar everything is on my locked screen..

Paul Florian

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

The phone is set to the last detail like it was on 4.4.4. The settings were made after a factory wipe. Just reading the last 3 replies here and posting 2 more I saw 2% flying away.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
re:

Since first posting my battery life complaint in this thread it seems to have solved itself.

The only thing I can think of was that I let it run down till it shut down by itself. (It wasn't intentional).

Then I charged it over night with the phone still switched off.

Next day my runtime has been phenomenoninal again.

Its at least as good as it was before if not better.

I don't use Facebook, and lots of people report problems with Facebook being a battery hog and lagging badly.

Glen K

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
re:

The lollipop update screwed up the battery and messenger for me as well. I'be tried everything from reinstalling the app to even master resetting the phone. I've noticed that while I was watching a stream on Twitch app, the fb messenger chat heads didn't lag anymore. After closing twitch, it started lagging and freezing again after sending messages. Perhaps Messenger has connection problems with the internet?
I even tried older versions of messenger but no luck, problem's still there. Contacted htc about these issues, I hope to get feedback soon.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
re:

my google nexus 4 had some issues with 5.0 update, I'm sorry to tell you folks that when my nexus 4 updated to 5.01 all issues went away. Oh and BTW my Nexus updated to 5.01 I'm guessing close to 1 1/2 months ago. Hang in there folks !!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20