AT&T HTC One M8 4.4.4 MMS/Group Messaging Issues

Mini1108

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Add another frustrated User to this rather long list (who really knows how big an issue this is?).

Based on timing, it appears the issue ("New MMS message to download: size is...") started right around when my AT&T HTC One got the 4.4.4 update (late January).

Went to the AT&T Customer Repair Center. The guy said it was iMessaging and to tell my iPhone friends to turn off iMessaging. Yeah, right.

Talked to a Technical Support employee on the phone. Friendly enough, but not of much help.

I am also of the opinion that it's tied to the software... she could not give me any ETA on when HTC was pushing it out (BTW, I believe with the One series, it's not the carrier that puches it out, it's HTC. I seem to recall reading that when researching the phone... it was a selling point :D).

So, bottom line to me is... we wait. I did the uninstall cloud print update and turned off the Enhanced 4G LTE, installed Google Messenger (was using Hangouts) and, so far, things appear to have improved.

Perhaps if we all wrote to HTC and told them of our problem, they might push it out faster? Verizon and Sprint Users already have 5.0.

numskull223

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I got one the other day. And I had the same thing. I fixed mine.
After the update, I went into my messages and deleted all my texts. And*now I'm receiving as I should. I'm using the stock message app. I receive mms and sms good now.

Mini1108

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Add another frustrated User to this rather long list (who really knows how big an issue this is?).

Based on timing, it appears the issue ("New MMS message to download: size is...") started right around when my AT&T HTC One got the 4.4.4 update (late January).

Went to the AT&T Customer Repair Center. The guy said it was iMessaging and to tell my iPhone friends to turn off iMessaging. Yeah, right.

Talked to a Technical Support employee on the phone. Friendly enough, but not of much help.

I am also of the opinion that it's tied to the software... she could not give me any ETA on when HTC was pushing it out (BTW, I believe with the One series, it's not the carrier that puches it out, it's HTC. I seem to recall reading that when researching the phone... it was a selling point :D).

So, bottom line to me is... we wait. I did the uninstall cloud print update and turned off the Enhanced 4G LTE, installed Google Messenger (was using Hangouts) and, so far, things appear to have improved.

Perhaps if we all wrote to HTC and told them of our problem, they might push it out faster? Verizon and Sprint Users already have 5.0.

OK... just an update... what I did appears to be working and has since I posted the above.

(fingers crossed)

fakowirob

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I joined this forum merely for this issue, which is the same that everyone else has reported. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned above and after a week of thinking it was resolved, the same problems have now resurfaced. I really appreciated all the feedback, please keep posting if you have any updates.

dcaumont

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Pretty sure anyone on AT&T running Android 4.4.4 on this device will still experience these issues; I think it just depends on your volume of MMS. Based on my last conversation with what is supposedly the highest level of technical support at AT&T, they are aware of the issue and waiting on HTC to release Android 5.0 to see if that fixes it. Based on HTC's website, Android 5.0 is in the final certification stages for HTC One M8s running on the AT&T network. Verizon, Sprint and others have already received this update (or it's available at least), so those of us on AT&T are still in a holding pattern. I've given up chasing this problem as it's rooted in the 4.4.4 OS and if 5.0 fails to fix the problem, I'm going back to my Galaxy and never purchasing an HTC product again.

Here's hoping relief is on the horizon soon...

Seveice

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Add another M8 user with all these same frustrating, inexcusable problems. Actually had a tech have attitude with me in telling me that this wasn't a firmware issue with 4.4.4. What an *****! I'm so over this BS. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if I go the router of rooting this phone to the Developer OS does this solve the MMS group text issue? I love my M8 before this firmware update but I'm about at wits end with this issue.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I got a warranty replacement and it has seemed to fix this and the GPS issue I was having with my M8.

Posted via the Android Central App

Seveice

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the update kygator13. How long have you had the warranty replacement phone for now and how is it any different? Also if you wouldn't mind details on how you were able to get a warranty replacement phone. Thanks!

Mr3dPHD

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Good question. Maybe it's working because it's on an older version.

I'm, of course, having the same frustrating issues. I just read through this entire thread hoping at the end there'd be a pot of gold, but apparently there isn't. I really want to try switching to the dev version...it sounds like it's the answer to all our prayers...but I'm terrified I'll screw it up! My girlfriend just got an new M7 on eBay, and she can't upgrade past the previous release...I guess it's a good thing. She would probably be having the same issues as everyone else if she was on 4.4.4.

rizzo269

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I got a boat load of old group messages that started coming in today so I'm not sure if some fix is going on or not.

Seveice

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I got a boat load of old group messages that started coming in today so I'm not sure if some fix is going on or not.

Unfortunately that's not the case for me. Had many group texts during the Final Four games and couldn't get most of them due to "transient failures"? Still majorly frustrating with this issue and the fact that ATT acts like it's not a big deal, IT IS A BIG DEAL! If they'd just admit it and say they're working on it I'd be at least somewhat satisfied. But no ownership just shows how the evil empire really doesn't give a damn. So over this ATT.

rizzo269

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I must have jinxed myself. This morning every group MMS I received wouldn't download. Hoping the LP update goes out tomorrow and fixes this stupid issue.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the update kygator13. How long have you had the warranty replacement phone for now and how is it any different? Also if you wouldn't mind details on how you were able to get a warranty replacement phone. Thanks!

I've had it now for 2 weeks. I called customer care and still had 3 weeks of a 1 year warranty left. I went over my issue and the extended my warranty period for 90 days and sent me a replacement device. Hope this helps.

dcaumont

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Lollipop should be available today for ATT. We shall see though...
Hopefully it works.

Where are you seeing it's supposed to be available today? Checking the HTC website, it appears Lollipop is still in "Stage 3 - Certification" for AT&T customers?

Re: Warranty replacements, I completed a warranty replacement on my phone as well. The device I received had a previous version of Android 4.x on it and the text messages worked for a time. Unfortunately, the phone will automatically download and install the firmware within a couple of days and the issues will begin anew. Again, I'm not going to contradict someone saying they're not having issues, but I suspect if you are running 4.4.4 you will have these problems. I think it's just a matter of volume and the inconsistent nature of this issue. Some days are good and others are incredibly terrible.

MatthewGavin

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Where are you seeing it's supposed to be available today? Checking the HTC website, it appears Lollipop is still in "Stage 3 - Certification" for AT&T customers?

Re: Warranty replacements, I completed a warranty replacement on my phone as well. The device I received had a previous version of Android 4.x on it and the text messages worked for a time. Unfortunately, the phone will automatically download and install the firmware within a couple of days and the issues will begin anew. Again, I'm not going to contradict someone saying they're not having issues, but I suspect if you are running 4.4.4 you will have these problems. I think it's just a matter of volume and the inconsistent nature of this issue. Some days are good and others are incredibly terrible.

It was tweeted by somebody from HTC. The M7 was last Monday, and the m8 should be today.