The 5.0.1 update is killing my battery life, how can I go back to KitKat?

ossett_outkast

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
5.0.1 is killing my battery life

Since being installed, 5.0.1 has ruined my battery performance on my M8 - went from 100% charge to 73% charge in just 5 hours in battery "Saver" mode (was overnight whilst everyone was in bed so no one was using it).

Now down to 50% with minimal usage (no phonecalls, no sms, a few emails, no media) after 9 hours on battery, again in "Saver" mode.

Does anyone know if I do a 'factory reset', will it revert back to the original firmware (ie Kit Kat)? I know it'll be a pain with reinstalling everything, but it's ruining my experience.

I was chuffed to bits with the new phone, especially the battery life, but this is a massive step back for me.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: 5.0.1 is killing my battery life

You should do a factory reset regardless when you update an OS. It is much cleaner that way and that would help restore your battery life. You can't go back to kit Kat unless you root your phone. I would try a factory reset first. It isn't that painful if you done backups.

Posted via the Android Central App

EN4CER

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

Hi, how could I backup my K9 email accounts information, before doing a reset? Tx

salm04

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

Since being installed, 5.0.1 has ruined my battery performance on my M8 - went from 100% charge to 73% charge in just 5 hours in battery "Saver" mode (was overnight whilst everyone was in bed so no one was using it).

Now down to 50% with minimal usage (no phonecalls, no sms, a few emails, no media) after 9 hours on battery, again in "Saver" mode.

Does anyone know if I do a 'factory reset', will it revert back to the original firmware (ie Kit Kat)? I know it'll be a pain with reinstalling everything, but it's ruining my experience.

I was chuffed to bits with the new phone, especially the battery life, but this is a massive step back for me.

You should do a factory reset regardless when you update an OS. It is much cleaner that way and that would help restore your battery life. You can't go back to kit Kat unless you root your phone. I would try a factory reset first. It isn't that painful if you done backups.

Yeah I would do a factory reset like Neo905 said. More than likely that will help with the battery life. My friend with a s5 had the same issue after reset his phone the issues stop so give it a try. Embrace the Lollipop

ossett_outkast

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site

Well I did a factory reset this weekend...wow! What a difference.

Made sure my phone was fully charged & left it overnight (8 hours) on standby in normal mode (no power saving) - when I looked at it the following morning it was still at 100%!!

Being the cynic I am, I questioned where it was right or a glitch so I did a shutdown/start (not a restart) to see if it was right - hey presto, it came back at 100%!

After 6 hours average use it's only at 85%...looks like it's sorted.

Thanks for the advice - I'll certainly remember when the next software update lands!

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

It's a common issue people have when updating their software. IPhones do the same thing, all sorts of issues crop up with IPhones when you update to a new major version without factory resetting. Yes it SUCKS, but it's either that, deal with the issues, or don't upgrade at all.
Glad your issues are sorted :)

alxens

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site

Can you explain please???

ItsMikeE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone had bad battery life after the lollipop update, then done a factory reset and found battery much improved?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone had bad battery life after the lollipop update, then done a factory reset and found battery much improved?

How hard was it for you to read the few posts in this thread that answers your question? The OP himself already stated his battery life improved after doing a factory reset in this thread.

ItsMikeE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site

How hard was it for you to read the few posts in this thread that answers your question? The OP himself already stated his battery life improved after doing a factory reset in this thread.

My apologies - I had just been reading multiple threads on post-lollipop battery life and there were lots of suggestions to try a factory reset. Most had no post reset feedback, a few said still getting poor battery life.

Joyous713

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
After your reset, did your battery continue to function correctly in the long run, or was it just a temporary fix? I'm having the same problem and it's literally driving me insane to the point where I want to leave HTC behind and move on.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
After your reset, did your battery continue to function correctly in the long run, or was it just a temporary fix? I'm having the same problem and it's literally driving me insane to the point where I want to leave HTC behind and move on.

Seeing pretty crappy battery life lately also. Did a factory OS reset when it first got released but in the past two months or so its been getting worse. Even done a cache wipe also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781