Lollipop update - No status bar notifications on lock screen?

Rachel Elizabeth1

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I just got this update on my note and have the same complaints as all of you! I liked just pressing the button on the side of my phone to light the screen up and see the little notifications on the top left but now you have to unlock the screen for this. It's now replaced with my carrier 'Yes Optus' words when screen is locked. Why would they get rid of this feature? I've tried everything and nothing works. As people have said above I don't want to see large notifications all over the lock screen I want the little icons to show up in lock mode in the upper left corner!

Lamensterms

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
There appears to be no 'sensitivity' option on the Htc One m9. The only options to show notifications on the lock screen are all or none. In the notification settings apps list, there is no 'sensitive' switch.

Is this correct or have I missed something?

textodd

May 5, 2015
Visit site
PLUS 1 ON THIS!

I HATE the Lollipop notifications! I want A notification, just not some huge message in the middle of my lock screen that anyone on the world can see. And why in the world would you put "hidden content" on that badge? If I've freaking hidden sensitive content, don't the idiots on the Android development team think that it's been hidden for a REASON and that I probably don't want someone who's looking at my phone to know it's been hidden? I will know it's been hidden and can change that if I want.

PLEASE just bring back the ability to only have notifications on the notifications bar! Which then begs the question... if you're going to put huge notifications all over our screens, why do you need the damned notifications bar at all? This whole move was just plain stupid.

Oh, and thanks for removing the ability to have dark themes that save battery life. Now the glow and glare of my screen will even further **** off those around me in dark situations. Terrible Terrible update.

Might be time for me to go iPhone.

techieTroy

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This is such a big hit to my productivity. I need to see my notification icons on my lock screen at a glance constantly throughout my day. Having to unlock to even know if I have one is ridiculous. Have the carrier name there certainly add NO value whatsoever. And the new lock screen notification method is just not a usable solution for me either -- it may work for some, but clearly for so many like me it's a disaster. I rely so heavily on my phone to communicate, stay informed, and manage my day -- this is such a sabotage to my productivity in an otherwise pretty great software update.

I hope for a remedy soon. As much as I'm loving the rest of the Lollipop update, I may revert back to re-gain this functionality. It'd be great if they'll just introduce a toggle option to turn lock screen notification tray icons on or off, essentially to choose between the current and previous behaviors -- this could co-exist with the new notifications for those who value those while giving us back the proven critical value of simple notification icons on the lock screen. It's crazy that one change like this can cause such a problem, but it affects me dozens of times throughout every day. It's a big deal.

Last edited:

Macarim

May 5, 2015
Visit site
This has been discussed numerous times this week. Look at other threads.

Yes, but the main issue has not been resolved. Before this latest update the ONLY notification on the lock screen were up in the status/notification bar. YEAH!!!!
NOT on the phone screen itself. Ugh
NOW notifications are on the phone screen and not in the status bar up top. UGH
YES you can go in to setting and change it, but that only affects the "onscreen" notifications.
If I change the settings to hide all then there is nothing on the screen right? -- Right.
But that does not resolve the issue of "where did the icons in the status bar" go? They have been there since I have had my device.
I want to JUST see notifications up in the status bar are......

Here is a screen shot that hopefully clears things up....
wp.jpg

Was that clear enough for everyone? I mean are we all on the same page? I have read and re-read these boards and I see the same questions with the same answers and it is clear there is a communication gap. The answers given are not for the specific questions being asked.

Last edited:

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I said it was "discussed" numerous times, not solved. Your complaint has been acknowledged along with many others. Why don't you funnel your complaint to Google?

ZenKeys88

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Macarim for explaining the problem so clearly. I have just registered to both thank you for that, and to complain about the problem in general. I'm especially frustrated that less-important programs are pushing important-notifications like text messages off the bottom of this stupid white-block-thing on the lockscreen. My only option appears to be to remove the notifications from those apps entirely (which, given that they're things like antiviruses, I still want to be notified by them about important things) so I'm just hoping Android hears us about wanting the notifications back at the top of the lockscreen. I don't understand why they would take this feature away.

Also, Geezerb, thank you for the link, but the instructions for submitting feedback to Google didn't work for me, as my "about device" page under "settings" does not have a "submit feedback about this device" button. Thanks, Google. I'm not sure they're going to listen much anyways, as far as I can work out over the years, Google isn't very interested in hearing from their users.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and thanks for removing the ability to have dark themes that save battery life. Now the glow and glare of my screen will even further **** off those around me in dark situations. Terrible Terrible update.

For what it's worth, dark themes don't save battery life on the M8. The M8 uses an LCD screen plus a backlight that is always on when using the screen. So power consumption is pretty constant regardless of color, even if it's a full screen picture of solid black.

AMOLED screens like what Samsung has use the pixels themselves to generate the light. So when using dark colors, the light for that pixel is also dimmer. A black pixel is completely off, including no power consumed for light.

I like dark themes too for other reasons, but not for battery life on the M8. If light is an issue, dim the back light. If that's not enough, check out one of the many screen filter apps in the Play store. It's like virtual window tint and works well.

leo212

May 29, 2013
Visit site
If you wish to get status bar notifications on Lollipop lock screen, you can use NiLS app from Google Play:
market://details?id=com.roymam.android.notificationswidget

Once installed and enabled you'll have a floating window on top of the lock screen.
1. First, touch and hold it to move and resize it wherever you want. (e.g to the top of the screen)
2. Then, change the appearance to be background transparent, small fonts and monochrome icons. (such like on the status bar)
3. Then, use privacy options to "show status bar text only"
4. Then, use appearance settings to show title & content all in one line.
When you have new notification it will appear on top just like the old status notifications.

Sparsh Ghevriya

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
PLUS 1 ON THIS!

I HATE the Lollipop notifications! I want A notification, just not some huge message in the middle of my lock screen that anyone on the world can see. And why in the world would you put "hidden content" on that badge? If I've freaking hidden sensitive content, don't the idiots on the Android development team think that it's been hidden for a REASON and that I probably don't want someone who's looking at my phone to know it's been hidden? I will know it's been hidden and can change that if I want.

PLEASE just bring back the ability to only have notifications on the notifications bar! Which then begs the question... if you're going to put huge notifications all over our screens, why do you need the damned notifications bar at all? This whole move was just plain stupid.

Might be time for me to go iPhone.

Guy my phone's notification panel is not appearing on the lock screen so could you help me

Last edited by a moderator:

franknbeanz

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else has seen this but I noticed I'm able to pull down my notification screen with a 3 finger swipe downward on the lock screen. I do have the notifications turned off because I didn't like them all showing by default.. but the 3 finger motion works for me.

smokin77

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Why do updates wreck all things good. I put off updating to this until a few days a go and same with messaging app. Both which are terrible now. Why is Android trying to become more and more like apple??? There's a reason we get androids. They keep taking away the versatility from us, especially these damn Samsung phones and it drives me nuts. This update with the change from black to white and the notifications is ridiculous.

Is there a way to revert back to Kit Kat without rooting or anything crazy?

thePelvicWoo

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
leo212, what does "status bar text only" do? I've set my Accuweather app to it, but it just doesn't show up on the lockscreen nor the status bar.

leo212

May 29, 2013
Visit site
leo212, what does "status bar text only" do? I've set my Accuweather app to it, but it just doesn't show up on the lockscreen nor the status bar.
NiLS app has privacy options and one of them is "show status bar text only", so you'll get the status bar text to appear on NiLS.
It doesn't affect your status bar - it will only affect NiLS. sorry for confusing.

ahamedazgars

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
When you open the apps, you will find on the top of the Screen "Apps" "Widgets" "Search" "View Mode" and Setting mode in the form of 3 dots vertically placed on the right side.

You click on the 3 dots > Lock Apps > Settings > Untick the Hide Notification.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon