Lollipop update - No status bar notifications on lock screen?

JoeM21

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Yeah..I just want to reiterate and confirm that this is EXACTLY what we want. Thanks Macarim for wonderful illustrated screenshots.

So is there any update on this? Any fix from Google? Workaround?

PS: The only closest workaround is Acdisplay app. But it "works" like we want to but only if you don't have the pin lock screen. Otherwise, you have to live with two lock screens (one for Acdisplay to show you the icons, and 2nd one is for the actual lock screen where you enter the pin.

leo212

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't talking about NiLS widget - I was talking about NiLS floating notifications window which can be resized and moved to wherever you wish on the lock screen.
Anyway, there is another app called "HeadsOff" that replicates ticker text from notifications on Lollipop. (not the status bar icons - just the ticker text that appears when a new notification arrives)

dashun_1

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Just got lollipop update on my phone. This is working well for me (galaxy s4):
1. Install AcDisplay and use it as lockscreen
2. Uncheck "Full screen mode" in AcDisplay interface options

skyraven_ro

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
any good fix for this ?
I can't use the app mentioned as I do use a password protected lock screen plus tasker to automatically unlock it when my phone feels "home".
It's annoying to see all those ugly notifications in the center of the screen.
The old behavior was so much nicer...a new icon in the status bar, an empty and clean screen.
Did anyone find any solution in the meantime to this?

Andrew1961

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Yes, but the main issue has not been resolved. Before this latest update the ONLY notification on the lock screen were up in the status/notification bar. YEAH!!!!
NOT on the phone screen itself. Ugh
NOW notifications are on the phone screen and not in the status bar up top. UGH
YES you can go in to setting and change it, but that only affects the "onscreen" notifications.
If I change the settings to hide all then there is nothing on the screen right? -- Right.
But that does not resolve the issue of "where did the icons in the status bar" go? They have been there since I have had my device.
I want to JUST see notifications up in the status bar are......

Here is a screen shot that hopefully clears things up....
View attachment 175499

Was that clear enough for everyone? I mean are we all on the same page? I have read and re-read these boards and I see the same questions with the same answers and it is clear there is a communication gap. The answers given are not for the specific questions being asked.

Did this ever get fixed or has anyone come up with a solution? I got a Marshmallow update today and as far as I can see there is still no way of going back to the simple and elegant notifications we had before. Hopefully I am wrong about this.

I've wasted hours today trying to find a way of actually contacting Google but there doesn't appear to be any way of doing it - at least not for Android related issues. I've also tried the apps mentioned here and none of them do what Macarim and I really want.

drtwinicing

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
i've not seen any other topics on a solution for this.
probably no one that's been 'here' has seen any either.
looks like this is not a problem for google but i hope i'm wrong. because i've kinda lost hope that there will be any changes to the current way of working.

skyraven_ro

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

Sorry to revive an old thread..but did someone manage to solve this on either Marshmallow or CM13?
It's so annoying to see those huge, big, ugly notifications on the lock screen instead of just the nice icons in that top / status bar.

illogique

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
i too was looking for a fix for this
and i found Holo Locker
it have the option to unhide and enable the status bar.
i tested it today and it does work like kitkat lockscreen.
my custom app for work do buzz non-stop the notification untill i do a dropdown, and with holo, i can now do it on the lockscreen (like before lollipop)!

Maszek

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
Yes, but the main issue has not been resolved. Before this latest update the ONLY notification on the lock screen were up in the status/notification bar. YEAH!!!!
NOT on the phone screen itself. Ugh
NOW notifications are on the phone screen and not in the status bar up top. UGH
YES you can go in to setting and change it, but that only affects the "onscreen" notifications.
If I change the settings to hide all then there is nothing on the screen right? -- Right.
But that does not resolve the issue of "where did the icons in the status bar" go? They have been there since I have had my device.
I want to JUST see notifications up in the status bar are......

Here is a screen shot that hopefully clears things up....

Was that clear enough for everyone? I mean are we all on the same page? I have read and re-read these boards and I see the same questions with the same answers and it is clear there is a communication gap. The answers given are not for the specific questions being asked.

I think I may have found a solution to this issue, purely accidentally. On a sleepless night, I was fooling with my Android phone and for the first time, I opened a feature called Theme Center. I don't know if this is a feature available on all Android devices, mine is a Lenovo K6 Android 7.0 which has very little bloatware on it.

The Theme Center has five different categories: palet, lock screen, background, phone call and color. When I enter the second category, this offers me seven different themes, one of which is called "Less is more". It's the only one on my phone that won't show message snippets on a locked screen.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol