Lollipop update - No status bar notifications on lock screen?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
With Kit Kat and previous, waking the phone would show any notification icons in the status bar without having to unlock the phone.

Now wit Lollipop, it won't show the icons in the status bar. I have to unlock the phone to see if there are any notifications available.

Since HTC refuses to give notifications access to the LED while charging, this is a major annoyance. I've tried adjusting the lock screen notification settings, but the only option is for it to openly display messages on the lock screen which I don't understand why anyone would want that.

iulia1234

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I know, same here. I hate to unlock the screen everytime I want to see if there's anything in my notification bar. How can we fix it? (I really can't find another thread where it had been discussed)

spydre

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Granted, this is on my Nexus 7, which will be in use until possibly Tuesday, maybe Wednesday, when I'm getting the S tab 8.4, My notification bars still show up on the lock screen, and didn't have to download an app for it to do so. Maybe it will be different with the Galaxy S tab, I don't know.

wyk3d

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Did op ever find a solution to this because it's driving me nuts and I'm sorry that it might have been discussed in previous threads but that's not helpful to someone that doesn't lurk daily. I've searched status bar lock screen, notification status bar, lock screen notifications, etc, etc and I've not come up with any answer to this specific question of icons displayed on the lock screen. Yes I understand you can display tacky large white blocks on the screen, I want small icons in the top corner. Please drop a link or tell me a setting for the htc m8. Thank you.

brandice75

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Some info that might help you... Go to Settings/Sounds & Notifications/While Locked, choose Show All Content; next go to Application Notifications, all listed Applications default to off, so you only need to address the ones you want back on, Music Player, Messages, Email, Gmail, etc.; under the ones you do not want the "preview" you show on the lock screen, select "Sensitive." This will put the small icon you used to see in the status bar during a lock screen in previous versions of Android Op Systems, but instead of up top, it drops it in a small bar below any notification not set to sensitive. The notifications not set to sensitive, but on priority, give you the preview on the lock screen, like maybe the weather. By showing all content on the lock screen, you get your Music Player controls back. Now the bar that shows the little icons on the lock screen that used to appear in the status bar can be swiped down to get a preview, and swiped back up to be consolidated as the little icons. I know that is still technically unsecured, but it sure beats not having the notifications there at all...

Last edited:

Henning Lysdal

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Where. I look for a solution to this issue, and I always find this thread where it says it's discussed in another thread. Please point to this other thread.

AC_Crews

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Changing it to hide sensitive data will hide the content on the lock screen but not remove it from the lock screen. the op wants to see them only notification bar not the lock screen. And so do I.

Posted via the Android Central App

talfe

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi! I also had text messages show up on my lock screen but then the Lollipop update changed that. I went nuts trying to figure this out and tried everything. Then I tried this:

Go to Settings/My Device/Notifications/Other Sounds/Samsung Applications/Messaging/Preview Message

I had this box checked, but I unchecked it then checked it again. Voila! Problem solved.

Hope this helps!

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I liked that before you could see the icons, but not the actual email notfications. Sometimes I do not want to see what emails I have (and get entangeled with work issues) but do want to see the other notifications. After the update you had a choice of either the emails on the screen listed individually, or checking "Dont show notifications when locked" you get nothing.
Why is this an improvement?

Lewhone

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I just signed up to write a comment here.
It is SUCH an annoying feature! Even when you only choose that sensitive content should be hidden, an ugly notification bar comes up who tells that the content has being hidden. I mean... WHAT THE ****?

Please come up with a solution, it can't be that you have other possibilities and the old one just has gone. Even the LED notification lights doesn't seem to work the same, even if I haven't changed anything with the settings...

I am frustrated now :-\

Again, android cracks, please bring any solutions!

Cheers, Lewhone

Cntdwn

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Settings -> sounds and notifications -> notification heading, While Locked -> show all content.

You're welcome Internet

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10