Buy an HTC One M8 now, or wait until after M9 announcement?

fox091

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I've always been an iPhone guy and just a few days ago got ahold of a Motorola Moto x 2013. Set it up and swapped the sim over and away I went. I fell in love with Android in no time at all since I do software development and love Linux anyway. I wanted to try rooting it and discovered that the AT&T version cannot have the bootloader unlocked through Moto's website. So no Cyanogen or root for me. I was looking at alternatives that are good for rooting/custom ROMs and kept hearing the HTC One M7 and M8 come up. I've always really liked the look and unibody design of the HTC One as well as the front facing boomsound speakers. I'm pretty dead set on getting an M8 and unlocking the bootloader through HTC to flash a custom ROM (probably Cyanogenmod). However, I don't want to get screwed on the price. My question to you fine folks is should I go ahead and get one now, or wait until after the M9 is announced? I can pick up one in VERY good condition on Swappa for $330 right now, but I don't want the price to plummet next month when the M9 is announced. Does that usually happen with product announcements or am I just thinking about it/worrying too much?

Thanks,
Josh

fox091

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I would honestly wait on the m9 announcement. It is only a few days away. Prices will likely drop.

This is kind of what I figured. I'll wait until after the announcement and hope that prices drop. In the mean time I guess it's time to list my iPhone 5s and get rid of it now that I've jumped ship.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I would also recommend waiting til the announcement as people will sell their M8 to buy a new M9.

But out of curiosity, is the moto website really the only way to unlock the bootloader on the Moto X? Because that's crazy if so.

psp219

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a mint condition m8 with Verizon that's 6 months old if you are interested in trading by any chance.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar