Rooted unlocked HTC m8 , sending in for screen replacement , under warranty?

nikhilrocks

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
So today i dropped my htc m8 and apparently the phone was fine except for the screen, the display at the top is blurred out with pixel lines showing , i was thinking of flashing the stock recovery and then sending it for repair ? or should i return back to stock (im S-ON). or m i worrying too much cause its just a screen replacement . im still in warranty. and no i dont have custom ROM, im on stock rooted with skydragon kernal and project era mod pack .

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, first off, the warranty doesn't cover physical damage. So unless you are paying them, or using an insurance claim, it won't get fixed. If you are paying for the fix from HTC, they usually don't care if it's rooted, but sometimes they will refuse to repair it by claiming the rooting was the cause, even though we know the cause is from the drop. So I would just unroot just to be safe.

If you are using an insurance claim, they don't care if it's rooted or not. They don't repair the phone, they just send you a replacement. And since you are paying the deductible, they don't really care what is wrong with the phone.

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So today i dropped my htc m8 and apparently the phone was fine except for the screen, the display at the top is blurred out with pixel lines showing , i was thinking of flashing the stock recovery and then sending it for repair ? or should i return back to stock (im S-ON). or m i worrying too much cause its just a screen replacement . im still in warranty. and no i dont have custom ROM, im on stock rooted with skydragon kernal and project era mod pack .

Well, first off, the warranty doesn't cover physical damage

First off, HTC covers cracked screens for the first 6 months. But that's the only physical damage they'll cover. Second, if they know you've unlocked the bootloader/rooted/s-off your phone, the phone automatically loses it's warranty, damage or not. You will be charged to get it fixed then even if it's under the 6 months period.

HTC Customer Advantage | HTC United States

mugenlude19

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
If it is unlocked they will return it to carrier locked status. I have first hand experience using the repair center in TX.

I would say S-Off you should send it in to be safe.

M8/360

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I used the HTC Advantage service a few months back. My phone was unlocked, S-Off, rooted and had a custom rom on it when I returned it. I chose the $19 option where you return the device and they send you a refurb. It was smooth and painless and I was not charged or penalized in any way. I had flashed the "No Red Text" & "Faux Hboot" mods. I believe this fooled HTC into thinking I had a locked device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2