Massive SD Card Issues (Other than anything i`ve seen after research)

jt-1911

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
So after approximately 5 months with my beloved HTC One M8 I have run into problems. Just to let you know I have a 64 gb SanDisk Extreme SDXC card in the card slot and 16gb internal memory. I have filled up the 16gb really fast and until now I could always move music and photos to my SD card. Currently I am at a point where I can still move music, but I simply cant move all my photos/videos. If I go on settings->storage->make more space->photos->move to SD it will move a tiny portion of my photos/videos to the SD but thats it.
I am guessing there is an issue with folders, in that it is only able to move the media from the "camera shots" folder to my SD. (I have loads of folders). Here I need to note that the portion which i cant move away from the internal storage is 1.22 GB and I have 17.82 on my SD card, even though that shouldn't change a thing as I still have 29.90 GB free.
Another dubious thing is that when I click on settings->storage it tells me that I have 2.66 GB of photos/videos on my internal memory. Once I click on make more space it tells me that it can only move 1.22GB????

The next massive issues which I guess links to the previous issues is the fact that if I want to send a picture in WhatsApp I cant send any pictures which have been placed into folders which I have created. I have read up on the new 5.0 folder security system, but I cant figure out if that is really the cause, and if so how I would change it?

Thanks for the replies,
Jt-1911

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What happens if you connect your phone to your computer via USB and use Windows Explorer to backup all of the photos to your hard drive? You could then copy the photos to the SD card (I think you'd have to unmount the card first, remove it, then insert it into your computer's SD reader).

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What happens if you connect your phone to your computer via USB and use Windows Explorer to backup all of the photos to your hard drive? You could then copy the photos to the SD card (I think you'd have to unmount the card first, remove it, then insert it into your computer's SD reader).
Actually there is a simpler option, similar to what you suggested.

Connect the phone to a Windows computer (preferably Win7, or Win8).

Use the method where the computer sees the phone as a Removable Storage Device.

It should show you the phone as having two drives (internal storage and external storage).

Double click the external storage drive (ad card) to ensure that the correct folders were created on the SD card.

Then double click on the internal storage.

Go to the folder labeled DCIM and double click it. Within that folder you should find several sub folders that contain your pictures and videos.

Once you find the items you would like to move, select them, right click Copy.

Then go back to the External Drive portion of your phone, find the DCIM folder, then find the correct sub-folder (and if it doesn't already exist, create it)

Then open the correct folder, and right click, and Paste.

All of the video and image files will now be on your SD card, and as long as you have made sure to replicate, on your SD card, the same folder structure that is on your internal storage, then you should be able to see in the HTC Gallery App, all of your pictures and videos on your SD card.

Hope that helps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but can the M8 connect in that way? I was assuming the M8 can only connect via MTP or PTP, with MTP being the primary way. If you connect via MTP, it doesn't show up as a removable drive--it shows up as its own device. And I can't remember if the SD card shows up separately when connected that way.

jt-1911

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!
I will definitely try the proposed methods, even though I still wish there where a way to solve this problem without the tedious procedure of drag n dropping the files via a computer. There must be some sort of bug which hinders files from being properly moved, or fetched (As explained in the WhatsApp folder problem).

Thanks,
Jt-1911

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but can the M8 connect in that way? I was assuming the M8 can only connect via MTP or PTP, with MTP being the primary way. If you connect via MTP, it doesn't show up as a removable drive--it shows up as its own device. And I can't remember if the SD card shows up separately when connected that way.

It works great... Thats how I've always transferred music and photos.

jt-1911

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so I tried the proposed methods on my ubuntu pc. But as soon as i try to move anything from the internal storage to sd card this error came up:uploadfromtaptalk1425502688263.jpg

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
When I connect my phone to my computer via USB cable, it shows up as 831C. When I click on it I see Internal Storage and SD Storage. To double check, moved a 2 minute video from my computer to the internal storage.Once it was moved I used the computer to move it to the SD Storage. Being Windows 8, I dragged and dropped into the SD storage, which actually copied it. I double checked and made sure it played, then I deleted it.Then I unplugged the USB cable and opened the file manager and found the original video in the Internal.storage and used the move function (which also copied it) and I easily pasted it into SD storage. After testing to make sure it played, I used the file manager to delete the video in both locations.
Does yours show as 831C and do you have usb debugging checked in Developer Options in Settings?