Switching to the HTC One M8 after 4 years on BlackBerry

Wmsi

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I used to have a HTC Hero. Loved it in many ways, but switched to BlackBerry a few years ago. I have loved my time with the 9370 and Z10, and really considered a new Passport or Classic. But I fancied a change...and EE don't do BlackBerry phones. I know th M9 is out soon, but I had a great offer of a low price contract and a free phone.

So, I'm really looking forward to getting a new OS to play with. I have a couple of questions...

01. Is there a keyboard that is 'all caps all the time', like the BlackBerry OS10 and iOS8 keyboard?
02. Is there a secure password keeper application?
03. What's the best podcast app, is there one built in?
04. Is there a BlackBerryTravel type application to keep hotel and travel information in one place?
05. What is the best software to edit office documents?
06. What is the best app for internet radio?
07. Any thing I should check out first, after being away from Android and HTC Sense so long?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

01. Is there a keyboard that is 'all caps all the time', like the BlackBerry OS10 and iOS8 keyboard?
Do you mean that you want the keyboard to display in caps all the time even when it's actually typing lower case?

02. Is there a secure password keeper application?
Lots of them available. LastPass is one of the more popular.

04. Is there a BlackBerryTravel type application to keep hotel and travel information in one place?
I can think of Tripit and WorldMate off the top of my head.

05. What is the best software to edit office documents?
Google Drive apps (Docs, Sheets, Slides) is pretty good, and is constantly improving. Otherwise, there are many good office suites out there, like DocsToGo, Officesuite, Polaris, and of course, Microsoft Office.

06. What is the best app for internet radio?
I haven't tried many, but TuneIn Radio seems pretty good.

07. Any thing I should check out first, after being away from Android and HTC Sense so long?
This guide might help to refresh your memory, although it is based more on vanilla Android than HTC Sense: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/399060-guide-getting-started-android-2014-a.html

Wmsi

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! Will check out your tipped apps tomorrow, when the phone arrives.

Yes, I want the keyboard to be in caps even when typing in lowercase. I prefer it that way.

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Well i am a former blackberry user (9900), and now i am using fleksy keyboard
it has all the time capital as you mentioned, slide to delete, and also correct via swipe up, i love this keyboard..

you can have a long trial and try it yourself, and when you like it buy it for around 5$? i bought it and it is sleek and the only keyboard that i've adapted to since my physical keyboard.. also note that the HTC built-in keyboard is neat :)

Good luck!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Fleksy has an option for "Case-sensitive layout." Uncheck it, and the keyboard will always be displayed in caps, regardless of what you're actually typing.

It's a free trial, but the keyboard is so good, it's well worth the few bucks it costs. The full version is occasionally a Free App of the Day on Amazon Appstore, if you want to wait and see.

EDIT: Whoops! Posted at the same time as MetalxAssassinx!

droidroid7

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
WPS by Kingsoft is a good office application. I subscribe to Podcast Republic. Might have missed the answer....double tap the caps button and everything you type is in CAPS until you tap out. I don't think IHeart Radio has as many ads & you can customize your stations. I'd check out Google and check out all the apps they have for free. I switched to HTC a year ago when I'd had it with Samsung. Told the rep I wanted a phone as good or better than the S2. Had a ton of issues w the S4. Have me the HTC. Never would have considered it. LOVE it.

shadwellal

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Also came from a Z10 and several Blackberries before that. I find SwiftKey is a superb keyboard. Definitely worth trying it out for a few days.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance