Postpone Update?

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,

Just a quick question - I don't want to upgrade to lollipop until my schedule is clear and I have time to mess with it.

Can we postpone the update as long as we want or is it forced at some point?

Thanks,
R

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about this one specifically, but I've seen reports from other updates on other phones of only being able to postpone one for so long before it forces itself on to the phone. It often seems to happen overnight when you're sleeping. The only way to truly postpone the update without risking a forced install is to root your phone, or keep data and Wi-Fi turned off to prevent the download in the first place (which is just impractical).

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Mooncatt is correct. At some point the update will be forced to your device. I've seen folks manage to put it off for several days to just under 2 weeks but it always catches up to them.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think it's because the carriers and manufacturers want you to be as miserable as everyone else that has updates screw up their phone. Lol

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
It should be illegal for anyone to force any software on to a device that we own! Can you imagine what would happen if Microsoft did this??? Sure they can stop supporting, and patching a particular OS whenever they want. But to force you to upgrade to me is wrong. Here again the carriers, and Google, and whoever else can stop supporting those who do not upgrade but they should not be allowed to force you to upgrade.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they want us to all be miserable, but rather only have one OS per device to deal with so they can give everyone the same bad advice when something is wrong. It's not Google that forces the updates it's the individual carriers. Although, I've heard that one of the AT&T sub-carriers doesn't force the updates, but which one I'm not sure, and there may be others. Just not the big 3.

Gregory Nash

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I find it really frustrating that I can't postpone the update, finish doing what I was doing when it interrupted me, and then start the update. I have to wait until it decides that it's ready again. There seems to be some sort of monitor that checks how inconvenient it would be for me to do the update now. If the inconvenience meter hits a certain threshold, then it asks if I'd like to do the update now. I think that every time you postpone the update, it increases that threshold. Now, I just let it interrupt me because I've found that if I don't, it'll find a time that's even less convenient to ask again. "I see that you're in the middle of a text conversation with three people. Want to update now? No? Ok, well now I see that you're lost and you just asked Google Maps to help you get home. Would you like to do the update now? No? Ok, well I see now that you've dialed 9-1-1 and you're about to press send. Would you like to do the update now?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz