Sprint M8 sometimes doesn't get sms until hours later & sometimes calls don't ring at all

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been having an issue with my M8 (Sprint). I sometimes don't get a text message until hours after it's sent.

Also sometimes someone calls me and my phone won't ring at all and won't show a missed call. But on their end it rings, i.e. it doesn't go straight to voicemail.

I don't know if these 2 things are related. I'm on Sprint. Latest stock version (Lollypop), but this was an issue back on KitKat too. I'm using Hangouts as my text message app.

Can anyone help?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been having an issue with my M8 (Sprint). I sometimes don't get a text message until hours after it's sent.

Also sometimes someone calls me and my phone won't ring at all and won't show a missed call. But on their end it rings, i.e. it doesn't go straight to voicemail.

I don't know if these 2 things are related.
Since they both use the same path, they probably are. I'd take it to a Sprint company store (with everything that moves crossed and any other tricks you know for luck) and ask them for assistance. It's not the phone - a few seconds delay, maybe. An hour delay? That's the network. Hours? Definitely the network. (The call is having the same problem - if you had no VM, and the caller let it ring for a few hours, you'd probably get the call.)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Since they both use the same path, they probably are. I'd take it to a Sprint company store (with everything that moves crossed and any other tricks you know for luck) and ask them for assistance. It's not the phone - a few seconds delay, maybe. An hour delay? That's the network. Hours? Definitely the network. (The call is having the same problem - if you had no VM, and the caller let it ring for a few hours, you'd probably get the call.)
Thanks for the feedback.

Has anyone else experienced this?

mulder5000

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem since I bought the phone. It's gotten better but still happens occasionally. It's not limited to this phone either, my wife's Galaxy S5 has the same problems.
From other messages boards and talking to Sprint, the issue lies with Spark tech our phones rely on the Sprint hasn't completely rolled to all of it's towers. Spark phones "park" on the 4g signal where available, but can only make and receive calls on 3g. When receiving a call, the tower is supposed to tell your phone to switch to the 3g signal so you can get the call. Not all towers can do this and at the ones that can, it's not happening every time. For texts, some towers can send them over 4g, others are still 3g only.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had this problem since I bought the phone. It's gotten better but still happens occasionally. It's not limited to this phone either, my wife's Galaxy S5 has the same problems.
From other messages boards and talking to Sprint, the issue lies with Spark tech our phones rely on the Sprint hasn't completely rolled to all of it's towers. Spark phones "park" on the 4g signal where available, but can only make and receive calls on 3g. When receiving a call, the tower is supposed to tell your phone to switch to the 3g signal so you can get the call. Not all towers can do this and at the ones that can, it's not happening every time. For texts, some towers can send them over 4g, others are still 3g only.

Thanks, very useful.

I was thinking of manually doing a profile and PRL update in case there's something rolled out in those that could help. Any thoughts?

mulder5000

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of manually doing a profile and PRL update in case there's something rolled out in those that could help. Any thoughts?

I tried those at first, but when they didn't help I stopped. For me, the problem has gotten much better on it's own over the past year.

On thing I did notice was that if they left a voicemail, that notification popped up right away. I'd never see a missed call in the call log, but at least I knew I had missed something.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried those at first, but when they didn't help I stopped. For me, the problem has gotten much better on it's own over the past year.

On thing I did notice was that if they left a voicemail, that notification popped up right away. I'd never see a missed call in the call log, but at least I knew I had missed something.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm gonna have to tell my wife to start leaving voicemails.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
You two are not the only ones having problems like this. And the problem is with the Sprint network. My contract is up in October and after 5 years I am gone. No more Sprint.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah...the problem is Sprint, not the phone. I had more and more episodes like that over the last couple years, across several phones, M7 and M8 both. I solved the problem though. After 15 years, I finally gave up on Sprint and moved to Verizon when I got my S6. It is WONDERFUL being able to actually make and receive phone calls, not to mention usable solid 4G Data connections. I may end up paying more, but Sprint just seems to be falling apart.

Consider yourself lucky if that trend continues. I had days where my phone would be silent for hours, then suddenly I'd get notification of several voicemails left over a period of hours before with no indication of any missed calls.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I too have had this issue in the past....

More so on the call level..... not so much on the texting level....

On the call level, I have been updating my PRL and my profile..... I don't have this issue as much as before... But one must assume that it is directly network related.... I use Google Voice as my voice mail and when this would occur, the caller would get routed to my Sprint voice mail instead of my Google voice mail.... So, that's a clear indicator that it was network related as the phone never had the chance to forward the call to Google.

As for text.... The only current issue I am having is sending MMS photo's out.... 90% of people I send to, get these.... But those on Metro PCS, very seldom get them.... At first, I thought it was a Metro issue, but I seem to get all MMS from those sending to me via Metro... So, I have no idea what the issue is.... This started occuring when my M8 moved to Lollipop 5.0.1. It is still occurring on Lollipop 5.0.2

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
"We're currently working upgrading the network in some areas, we ask that you bear with us" This is a recording, circa 2007-present. I'v tried them all except for Sprint. Every time I think about trying them I see these sought of threads and decide against it. .

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I get a different issue when my wife texts, I get 2 or 3 of the same text. She claims she sends only one. It happens to my daughter too, the only thing in common is it originates with my wife's phone. She has an S5, I have an M8 and my daughter has an S5. Must be a Sprint thing.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a different MMS problem. If I have a signal when an MMS comes in everything comes in just fine. If I don't have a signal and I try to manually download it it will fail (makes sense), but later I can't go back and get it. It will just never be able to download again. I kinda think Sprint thinks that I downloaded it and they delete it and then it's not there when I try to get it later. So I often have to message someone to resend MMS's to me.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I too have had this issue in the past....

More so on the call level..... not so much on the texting level....

On the call level, I have been updating my PRL and my profile..... I don't have this issue as much as before... But one must assume that it is directly network related.... I use Google Voice as my voice mail and when this would occur, the caller would get routed to my Sprint voice mail instead of my Google voice mail.... So, that's a clear indicator that it was network related as the phone never had the chance to forward the call to Google.

As for text.... The only current issue I am having is sending MMS photo's out.... 90% of people I send to, get these.... But those on Metro PCS, very seldom get them.... At first, I thought it was a Metro issue, but I seem to get all MMS from those sending to me via Metro... So, I have no idea what the issue is.... This started occuring when my M8 moved to Lollipop 5.0.1. It is still occurring on Lollipop 5.0.2

I have the same problem sending MMS to Metro PCS customers. I am with Sprint (Until October) and I can receive pics from them . But no Metro PCS customers can get pics from me. I am in the DFW area and also think it's a Sprint problem. I have never had dropped calls with Sprint. But their data network is horrendous and is getting worse.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I recomend reading this article to understand what is going on, expecially with the M8 with is a Tri band device.

Nexus 5 and LG G2 experience temporary Sprint LTE connectivity issues due to Circuit Switched Fallback technology - S4GRU Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

This article was written a while ago, so now the network should pretty much be fully operational, but there could be some sectors in which are still under development.

While I appreciate this information there is always some kind of a problem with Sprint. And if I call I get the same canned message from them that they are upgrading the towers in my area. For 5 years straight? I don't believe it. I am done with Sprint when my contract is up in October. Too many problems for way too long.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis