The M8 still a worthy buy?

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Although the m9 is out its too pricey to be honest. Do people think the m8 is still a valuable choice for buying, considering it's now a year old?

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got my M8 on this past Monday if that means anything to you. Wanted to try lollipop but didn't want to give up iOS either. So, I took to Craigslist. It'll meet my Android needs for another year. The spec wars have been over in my mind for a while. The M9 camera has more megapixels but I find no fault with the M8 camera for my mobile phone photography needs tbh.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm checking a couple times a week for some drastic price drop on the M8. The $500 price is still more than I'd like to spend despite the Uh-Oh protection.

Smply_Rckless

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I think the M8 is actually better than the M9 in every aspect except specs. If you're not big on specs, I suggest getting it.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6 Plus 

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Although the m9 is out its too pricey to be honest. Do people think the m8 is still a valuable choice for buying, considering it's now a year old?
I just bought a new M8 (Verizon) from Amazon for $49. I've been using the phone for a week and couldn't be happier. The M8 is a great phone. Battery life was the concern for me, just too many reports of battery drain on this year's phones (M9 and S6). Seems to me HTC took a step backwards with the M9. I saw no compelling reason to get the M9 over the M8.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
What's the battery life like?

I was concerned about it in the beginning coming from a 6 Plus as the percentage seemed to constantly drop. But after studying the graph and noticing that it dropped in essentially a straight line, No more during use or when idle and paid attention to the estimate of time remaining that the One M8 offers with Lollipop now, I'd say the battery life is phenomenal. Depending on usage patterns of course, one should have no issue making it through an entire day. I unplug at around 5:30-5:45am every morning and make it home around 9:00pm on the 2 nights/week that I have classes with some battery to spare. To quote MKBHD in his review, "This thing is a power sipper!"

Now, if you're one of those folks with nothing to do but play on his/her phone all day then you'll likely have to charge at some point throughout the day before evening maybe. But, I'm not one of those types of users so I can't speak intelligently on that brand of usage.

Last edited:

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks that's worth knowing. It's between the m8 and the Xperia z3. Love the sound quality of the m8 and know the z3 is more up to date and with s bigger battery

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks that's worth knowing. It's between the m8 and the Xperia z3. Love the sound quality of the m8 and know the z3 is more up to date and with s bigger battery

I've never used an Xperia but was/am intrigued by the z3v. Don't know if I'll ever get to try one though. I see one on my local Craigslist but don't have anything I'm willing to part with to try it between my M8 and 6 Plus.

Last edited:

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Hmm the doubt is the fact of knowing whether it's silly people getting a m8 now when it's over a year old

Not silly at all. If you've compared the one M8 to the new "flagships" and like what the M8 offers then it's more silly to spend more money on a newer phone when the M8 meets your needs.

Also keep in mind that the spec wars are essentially over. The only people that really care about that are the uber tech heads and reviewers. The typical user can't really notice any difference between an M8 and M9 on day-to-day performance.

And if I'm not mistaken, the M8 will see Sense 7.0 that's bundled with the M9.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
What's the battery life like?
Battery life is very good for me. I would probably be considered a "light" user relative to some here. I have 3 email accts constantly syncing, occasional web browsing or music streaming with Spotify. No facebook or twitter or instagram or any of that stuff. Maybe a few texts a day and a few phone calls. I disabled a bunch of the Google and Verizon bloatware. I could easily get 2 days on a charge. Overnight it drops about 3-5% in 8 hrs. And I leave wifi, bluetooth, gps, mobile always on and so forth.

Plus the phone is really fast (especially compared to my 2012 Moto Razr Maxx HD), screen is great, excellent signal quality, everything just works like it should. Great build quality, nice looks (I'm using a Spigen Slim Armor case). What's not to like?

Edit: I'm on Verizon & received the Lollipop 5.0.1 upgrade as soon as I activated the phone. No problems so far.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
If something ever happens to my M7 I would likely replace it with an M8 before I would buy an M9. Especially now since I can get an M8 for Verizon for $1 from Amazon. (with contract)

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
It's still holding value on craigslist if that tells you anything. Also, I got rid of my note 4 for one, I like this one much better.

Posted via the Android Central App

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
you traded away your note 4 for a htc m8?

have you regreted it?

I got some cash with the trade too. No, I don't regret it, the note is slower than the m8. The camera may not be "better" but it is faster.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm considering getting it on Verizon with a 2 year contract. Best Buy has the 32GB for only $1 right now!

Posted via Android Central App

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I say go for it.. the M8 is the best smartphone I have ever used and I have had plenty over the years.. even after being a year old my M8 still holds battery over 20 hrs and I am running 5.0.1/ sense 6.0 stock... I plan on keeping my M8 for another year and see what the market looks like with new releases..

Sent from my HTC One M8 via the UnCarrier

JStyles1

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up an M8 for Sprint in what was probably the deal of a lifetime. $60 from Amazon warehouse deals. When it arrived, it was brand new!

Best phone I've ever used. I'm glad to be back with htc. I'm coming from a moto x and an s4 before that. I was concerned about the power button on the top, but the gesture controls and tap to unlock took that worry away. Absolutely no lag whatsoever, and the battery life is amazing so far.

If you're thinking about getting this phone, don't worry about it being a year old. This phone is awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12