AT&T M8 Battery Drain

T4RBoarder

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've got a weird issue that I've seen across two separate M8s that I've had...I get some very drastic battery drain that results in the battery dropping between 3-5% in the matter of a half hour, without doing anything. I typically take the phone off the charger and immediately put it in my pocket, by the time I get to work and with no notifications or usage I'm down to between 95-98%. The issue was apparent in KitKat but is much worse with lollipop. Any idea what might cause this? As far as I know I don't have any apps constantly refreshing.

Current time on battery: 47m Usage: Google Play Services: 28% HTC Service Pack: 28% Google App: 17% Facebook: 9% Android OS: 14%

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Do you notice the GPS icon in the notification bar? There was an issue with the AT&T update where an app called Carrier IQ has been found to constantly use GPS and drain the battery life quickly on many phones.

Some suggested solutions have been to use an app like AppOps to disable Location Services for the Carrier IQ app, disable the Carrier IQ app (settings>app manager>Carrier IQ>Disable), or if you're rooted you can uninstall the app entirely.

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but if so, hopefully this will help.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: AT&T M8 Battery Drain

Seems pretty normal to me. When plugged in the battery charges to full then stops. At a certain point, the charger kicks in again and trickle charges back up to 100%. What you're seeing is likely the percent meter catching up to what the battery actually is. It's sort a game as if they allowed the battery percent to drop while plugged in, users of these devices would be in an uproar. From what you've posted, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site

Seems pretty normal to me. When plugged in the battery charges to full then stops. At a certain point, the charger kicks in again and trickle charges back up to 100%. What you're seeing is likely the percent meter catching up to what the battery actually is. It's sort a game as if they allowed the battery percent to drop while plugged in, users of these devices would be in an uproar. From what you've posted, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

The battery shouldn't drain 4% in 47 minutes without doing anything with the phone. As I said above, there have been a lot of people reporting battery issues after the AT&T Lollipop update.

T4RBoarder

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

The battery shouldn't drain 4% in 47 minutes without doing anything with the phone. As I said above, there have been a lot of people reporting battery issues after the AT&T Lollipop update.

I have not noticed the GPS icon as others have reported, this issue was present pre-update and has been exacerbated by lollipop, although the GPS on this replacement device BLOWS , but that's a different story.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site

Alright, well then can you install GSam Battery monitor and then post a screenshot of it? It may help us determine the cause of the battery drain.

RobDogOne

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I'll take my phone off the charger and after an hour with no usage or notifications my M8 will still be at 99%. I leave GPS off and I'm on Wi-Fi. I'm also on lollipop. Have you cleared your caches or rebooted the phone? Do you have any apps that are constantly running?

Posted via My htc One M8

Last edited:

Go Faster

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with no resolve. I notice that when using my phone while charging it will drain quick?
I guess this Lollipop update for AT&T phones just sucks. I kill all the apps possible and it still drains quick just sitting on my desk with no interaction
I just typed this reply and dropped 3% while charging.
UPDATE: I just performed the clear cache procedure as described above and in less than 2 min. My battery dropped from 20% to 15%. wtf???
Posted via the Android Central App

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem too... I did a full factory reset and didn't update the Web view and all of the HTC updates including the service pack camera gallery and everything else they have pushed.

Battery life is even better than before when on KK.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

RobDogOne

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Sprint, not AT&T but I just thought I'd show you what my battery life percentage looks like, 3 hours after I took it off the charger. Keep in mind I'm at work, on Wi-Fi and mobile data is turned off. I received no notifications within that 3 hours. And 3 hours later my battery percentage is still at 100%.

Posted via My htc One M8

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I also get the battery drop from 100% to about 95% within 1 hour or so. The reason is it does this during my commute.
When i get to work, it is at about 95%, as it uses GPS to track location, google now cards, traffic, etc....
If I leave my phone at home, it does not do so as it is stationary in one location. It takes longer to discharge, (if not using of course).
I think it's normal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49